Main Menu

Rebellion To reprint The Leopard from Lime Street

Started by Dash Decent, 27 February, 2017, 02:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

I think it was Buster that I used to read the story in when I was a wee lad. I wouldn't get too worried about any Spider-Man connection though. I think it was its own story and probably had more in connection with Billy the Cat (the DC Thomson strip). I'll be getting it regardless and at the very least it can be enjoyed for the Mike Western art.

sheridan

I didn't read Buster regularly, so had no idea just how derivative the rest of the Leopard's backstory was!  Until this thread I thought he was just a kid who dressed as a cat and was quite athletic!

Tony Angelino

Quote from: sheridan on 28 February, 2017, 08:21:47 PM
a kid who dressed as a cat and was quite athletic!

I think that definitely is a description of Billy the Cat who I don't think had any superpowers.

I think the Leopard will be sufficiently different from Spider-Man for any resemblance in the origin not to matter.

Dash Decent

You can see small(ish) examples of several of the strips (including The Leopard from Lime Street) here: Click!

It also mentions that the Dracula Files (from Scream) is being reprinted in October.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

O Lucky Stevie!

Titles include Marney the Fox (which has a new cover by John Stokes...

If that in itself  doesn't sway you towards purchasing a copy then there is something wrong with you.

;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tony Angelino

Dracula Files is a strange choice given Hibernia did a fairly recent reprint of it and made a good of it.

I didn't really enjoy the strip itself so wouldn't be getting it again but I would be on board for all the other reprints.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 01 March, 2017, 06:53:55 AM
Dracula Files is a strange choice given Hibernia did a fairly recent reprint of it and made a good of it.

I didn't really enjoy the strip itself so wouldn't be getting it again but I would be on board for all the other reprints.

To be fair, Rebellion have the advantage there in terms of distribution and media presence so a new edition in their Treasury line makes sense - it's a well-regarded tale, often mentioned when the subject of Scream! comes up, and while it sold out handily for us, Rebellion will be aiming for a bigger market who likely never realised it was even reprinted.

It's also one of the few Scream! tales left that collects reasonably well as a slim trade (I think our edition worked out at around just shy of 90 pages, including extra material from the Holiday Specials, a cover gallery and some unused art) now that Monster has been reprinted. In fact, if they have Monster and the Dracula File in print, it's really only the Thirteenth Floor left before the bulk of the best long-form strips from Scream! are exhausted. There's enough material there to put together a Complete Library of Death, with the Ghastly Tales and Tales from the Grave included, or you could maybe go for a reprint of The Nightcomers - I think a bumper reprint of the short tales would go down well, as they're fondly remembered and generally pretty good, but the Nightcomers might not have the recognition that something like Monster or the Dracula File does. I doubt anyone is really clamouring for a deluxe reprint of Terror of the Cats though...  ;)

I must admit to a bit of curiosity to see how the two editions will compare. I think we did a pretty good job of the Dracula File within the limitations we had, and I'll be fascinated to see what Rebellion do with the strip :-)

Anthony Garnon

Hardback (& signed bookplate and art print) edition now available to order through 2000AD!

seanharry

seanharry

Why isn't the bookplate edition of One Eyed Jack a HC as well?

Molch-R

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 18 May, 2017, 01:36:19 PM
Hardback (& signed bookplate and art print) edition now available to order through 2000AD!

*It's just a numbered bookplate, as sadly Tom Tully, Mike Western, and Eric Bradbury are no longer with us.

Woolly

Will try and grab this when I can - only ever saw a couple of episodes as a kid, would love to give this a thorough read.

Also, RE The Dracula Files, Rebellion would do well to just repackage the Hibernia reprint in a hardcover.
Hibernia's print is truly gorgeous, and the quality of the repro on the pages that were never published before is up there with the old Titan collections. Truly stunning book, can't wait to see what Rebellion do with it.
(In my perfect world, the story would continue in the Megazine with Dave Bishop writing, and Nick Dyer on art duties...)

QuoteI doubt anyone is really clamouring for a deluxe reprint of Terror of the Cats though...  ;)

You're not wrong...  :lol:

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 18 May, 2017, 06:06:19 PM
QuoteI doubt anyone is really clamouring for a deluxe reprint of Terror of the Cats though...  ;)

You're not wrong...  :lol:
Hey, I liked Terror of the Cats (admittedly I have all the episodes in Scream! and don't have the space for reprints of things I already have).

Robin Low

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 18 May, 2017, 01:36:19 PM

I can't see it mentioned in the shop anywhere, but is this hardback edition in the larger format we've seen with the Dan Dare and Cursed Earth collections?

Regards

Robin

seanharry

I got the Summer Magic HC, and that is the same size as the Dare / Cursed Earth HC.