Main Menu

Black Panther - Please add your review

Started by matty_ae, 14 February, 2018, 09:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Hi guys

I saw this last night and it is really good to see a full Black cast celebrating African/Wakandan heritage. The cast is stellar and the script poses some interesting challenges about slavery, refugees and at what point you are responsible for your fellow man.

But I've got to say the second half is very formulaic with a final reel that isn't unlike Phantom Menace ("Now this is pod racing") with a Gungan like battle. And Black Panther battles another Black Panther in an identical costume (a plot last seen in Iron Man1, Iron Man2, Ant Man, Incredible Hulk)

Go see but measure your expectations - please add your reviews - happy to be talked into seeing it again.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I haven't seen it but I have heard it has a predominantly black cast, apart from Martin Friedman (Bilbo Baggins) and Andy Sirkis (Gollum) as the Tolkien white guys
You may quote me on that.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 14 February, 2018, 09:40:43 AM
...apart from Martin Friedman (Bilbo Baggins) and Andy Sirkis (Gollum) as the Tolkien white guys

:lol: :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 February, 2018, 02:18:19 PM
Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.

This is exactly what I would expect from old, white privilege. I bet you voted brexit and pine for the days when there were no Irish allowed in the pub.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Proudhuff

They let Irish in the pubs now? oh FFS....
DDT did a job on me

CalHab

Jim_Campbell

That was great. Looks amazing, doesn't pretend to have any glib answers to the thorny subjects it touches on, and treats us to some brilliantly staged action sequences.

(In fact, now that I think about it, one of the things the Marvel movies tend to have in common is how well put-together the action set-pieces are — it's incredibly rare to not know who everyone is, where they are and what they're doing, even in big, multi-character action sequences. I've seen plenty of big budget action films in recent where that very much isn't the case.)

Also, a whole lot of very fine looking people of colour up on that screen, plus an ugly white guy and a scrawny white guy. Brilliant.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Powerful stuff,  distinctive characters, great natural humour,  almost every frame beautiful to look at, plus some well-aimed digs at Trump. I wasn't expecting Wakanda to be such a direct analogy of an isolationist US,  but it worked.

The only bits I wasn't so keen on were the two Black Panthers wailing on each other, which was very samey and prolonged,  and maybe the CGI rhinos (combined with the strong parallels with Erebor and Freeman as lone hobbit in the gang they were a bit too LotRish). Other than that, top stuff.

dweezil2

I really had high hopes and was full of goodwill going in, but it was overlong, exposition heavy with all those superhero tropes that are becoming frustratingly tiresome and aside from some good visuals and performances, it was all a bit dull to be honest.

Oh and seemingly par for the course for recent Marvel movies, dull villain and underwhelming climax (scrub that, superhero movies in general).

Commendable for it's representation of a criminally ignored social group , but it doesn't advance the formula of superhero movies in any way.

Bare in mind that I'm increasingly bored with superhero movies, but Marvel/Disney have me hooked, like a drug I can't seem to quit, and I'm in to the bitter end!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 17 February, 2018, 07:32:24 PM
Oh and seemingly par for the course for recent Marvel movies, dull villain and underwhelming climax (scrub that, superhero movies in general).

Gosh,  I thought Killmonger and Klaw were both great baddies - one with real grit and complex motivations,  one a very entertaining psycho. Killmonger was only dull when he was hidden behind the mask. The climactic battle wasn't the strongest point,  but the actual ending (in the mid-credits!) was great.

The Monarch

[spoiler]kinda wish they would stop murdering the good villians[/spoiler] other than that loved the film

Jim_Campbell

Per an interesting conversation over on FB on the scarcity of decent villains in the MCU: who are the big/classic villains of the Marvel (comic) universe? They should definitely promote D'Onofrio's Kingpin to the big leagues and stick him in the next Spider-Man movie, but who else sits at the top of the villain league? Magneto, Doom, Galactus, various iterations of the Hellfire Club... all unavailable to Marvel. I've never been a huge Marvel fanboy, so I'm wracking my brain trying to think of obvious "heavy hitters" other than Thanos...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Monarch

kangs surely the next biggest not seen in a film yet

Pyroxian

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 February, 2018, 01:37:01 PM
Magneto, Doom, Galactus, various iterations of the Hellfire Club... all unavailable to Marvel.

Not any more, after the Fox deal.

Other than that, you've got Kang the Conqueror, the Beyonder, Graviton...

You could probably do a good Masters of Evil group as well.