Main Menu

First single or album bought

Started by 8-Ball, 27 April, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Never owned a single in my life! First album (bought for me) was Britney Spears' debut. You'll understand when I say that I was about 12 at the time, and my interest may not have been entirely musical. Even now the opening chords of 'Hit me Baby one more time' make me feel a bit 'funny.'

Never had a huge interest in music really, so it was another four years or so before I felt the urge to buy some music for myself, walked into my local Woolworths and came out with the two coolest albums I could find on the shelves - Prodigy: Fat of the Land and Lenny Kravitz: Greatest Hits.
@jamesfeistdraws

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 04 April, 2016, 02:11:34 PM
He had comeback in the mid 90's I know. I recall finding a night club inside the arcade of shopping mall on the Gold Coast that was more of a pub called The Rose & Crown singing one of his old hits. I was just passing through, but felt overwhelmed by this communal spirit shared by all occupants.

I know it may read like he was actually in there singing, but it was on what ever medium disc-jockeys prefer. I think did all use singles as well. it would have been easier then to find their most optimum song.

Quote from: Dark-Jimbo....so before I felt the urge to buy some music for myself, walked into my local Woolworths and came out with the two coolest albums I could find on the shelves - Prodigy: Fat of the Land....

In my collection as well, but on cd....the songs Fire-Starter & Breath......there' another song there might offend the fairer sex (I mean women, if you agree with me there!) and according to the wiki, they just say it's really about doing anything intensely.

NapalmKev

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 April, 2016, 03:10:18 AM

In my collection as well, but on cd....the songs Fire-Starter & Breath......there' another song there might offend the fairer sex (I mean women, if you agree with me there!) and according to the wiki, they just say it's really about doing anything intensely.

"Smack my Bitch up" is a euphemism for injecting hard drugs, which I believe is what they really meant! See also: "E's are good. He's Ebenezer Good".

Fat of the Land is the first Prodigy album I bought. Good album, still listen to it occasionally. The Shaman ("E's are good.) were proper dogshit! A mate of mine was a big fan when we were young and he played the album daily. Proper dogshit!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

auxlen

QuoteI went into Woolworths

Woollies was great. i  bought a few rare 12 " from there. They had NO CLUE!
My niece has suddenly become a vinyl obsessive (aged 14) and stolen  alot of my/ and my parents lps.
I went in to sainsburies the other day and it had a load of 'classic' vinyl on ale (stones, the specials, nirvana, amy winehouse etc.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: NapalmKev on 05 April, 2016, 05:59:08 PM

"Smack my Bitch up" is a euphemism for injecting hard drugs, which I believe is what they really meant! See also: "E's are good. He's Ebenezer Good".

Fat of the Land is the first Prodigy album I bought. Good album, still listen to it occasionally. The Shaman ("E's are good.) were proper dogshit! A mate of mine was a big fan when we were young and he played the album daily. Proper dogshit!

Cheers

Just put it on now....

Injecting Bitches....what that be a better compromise?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 April, 2016, 11:46:05 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 05 April, 2016, 05:59:08 PM

Cheers

Just put it on now....

Injecting Bitches....what that be a better compromise?

Good music never compromises. Throw the goat and rock the fuck out!
You may quote me on that.

repoman

First single I bought was This is not a Love Song by Public Image Ltd.

Not sure what the first album was.  I remember being given a Siouxsie album in the mid 80s but first one I bought was probably a Cure album on cassette.

Gary James

Uh... which format?

First vinyl album was likely Children's TV Themes by Cy Payne & His Orchestra.
First cassette album was The Hits Album 7 (a double cassette no less).
First CD album was Rock Anthems (and yes, seeing the year of release clearly stated isn't helping me any).

As for the other... I honestly have no idea which single I bought first. Complete blank - it really is not some bullshit reason to avoid stating something embarrassing as I have no shame. I'll admit to owning some of the worst songs ever recorded (in multiple formats, and filed alphabetically).

I have a copy of the Over There CD, with the video on it, and there's an immense number of novelty songs in my collection. I'm beyond blackmail.  :P

radiator

Probably the Ninja Turtles movie soundtrack on cassette, which I got way before I ever got to see the movie, and as I had recently seen the film Grease and was young enough at the time to not really understand the distinction between musicals and regular movies I assumed that all the songs on the tape were musical numbers performed by characters in the movie.

Pretty soon after that it was Cool as Ice by Vanilla Ice, and I also remember buying a copy of 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life Of... by Arrested Development from a friend. I had a slightly odd and embarrassing pre-teen phase of listening to middle aged solo male artists for a while after that; Bryan Adams, Peter Gabriel and for some bizarre reason I remember owning a copy of the Mick Jagger solo album Wandering Spirit - I think because at the time one of his songs was getting a lot of airplay on MTV. Most embarrassing of all is probably having a copy of the East 17 album Steam  :-\

But that was all when I was a very young kid and didn't really have a developed taste as such. I consider my first actual single and album purchases that I bought with my own money - on CD no less - as Hey Dude and K by Kula Shaker, shortly followed by 1977 by Ash. The latter I still kind of love to this day. The former not so much (though I still have a nostalgic fondness for it).

Funt Solo

My first single was a red vinyl Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. No shame in starting on Maiden.

Around the World in a Day by Prince was my first vinyl album.  Still holds up as utter genius: but when I first listened, it was ahead of my time.

First cassette album was Meat Loaf's Bad Attitude, which even at the time was not the leader of my collection pack. It contains the rather blunt but memorable rock ballad "Surf's Up", with the subtle, silver-tongued lyric "Surf's up and so am I" (with the female backing singers wailing "I need it so bad" in the background like a pack of sex-starved nymphos). It gets by mostly on the fact he's got a mighty singing voice.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 31 January, 2020, 07:10:17 PM
My first single was a red vinyl Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. No shame in starting on Maiden.

Around the World in a Day by Prince was my first vinyl album.  Still holds up as utter genius: but when I first listened, it was ahead of my time.

First cassette album was Meat Loaf's Bad Attitude, which even at the time was not the leader of my collection pack. It contains the rather blunt but memorable rock ballad "Surf's Up", with the subtle, silver-tongued lyric "Surf's up and so am I" (with the female backing singers wailing "I need it so bad" in the background like a pack of sex-starved nymphos). It gets by mostly on the fact he's got a mighty singing voice.

My first album (borrowed, not bought) was an Iron Maiden album too. But soon after I became what was then known as a Cure-head and wasn't allowed to like metal any more. Which is a shame, because Maiden are brilliant.  I bet he pilots and fences in a metal way too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ChickenStu

Ok. Talking strictly CDs - the first album I bought was Countdown To Extinction by Megadeth. The first single I bought was Millennium by Killing Joke.

I'd bought cassettes and vinyl before that growing up - but I'm not sure if I could tell you what the first ones were.

I'm old.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

karlos

Mickey Mouse Disco.

Every track a banger.

Then bought precisely nothing until The Smiths came along.

Funt Solo

My first 12" single might have been Rock Me Amadeus by Falco. As if it needed extended.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Apestrife

Might have been Belinda Carlisle - A Woman and a Man. I was 9 y/o and and thought she looked nice on the album cover. I also remembered liking her voice. Looked her up on Spotify just now, and apperantly she also made Heaven's a place on earth. Didn't know that. Still a nice voice.

I also remember owning a copy of Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?. Pretty sure I got it thanks to Wonderwall. Remember listening to Cast no Shadow over and over for hours thinking about how it was made and slowly figuring out what the words meant (English is my 2nd language). Still love it now as much as then.