Main Menu

Prog 2061 - Happy New Year, Bitches!

Started by Richard, 09 December, 2017, 02:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Sorry, I meant to go back and spoiler tag that last party of my post, but I can't edit on this thread. Not much of a spoiler once you see the picture in the Christmas Prog, anyway.

Dandontdare

Quote from: NSFTM on 22 December, 2017, 10:32:27 AM
Savage - I haven't a clue what's going on, he was a bar man, now he kills Volgs in Berlin on a full moon and fights transformers

See? You DO know what's going on! You just missed out "while quoting obscure thirty year old song lyrics"

Woolly

Quote from: NSFTM on 22 December, 2017, 10:32:27 AM
Dredd - fighting the Sovs (again)

To be fair, this seems more of a team-up with the Sovs than a fight.
And I may be wrong, but I don't think we've been to [spoiler]ground zero at East-Meg One[/spoiler] before now.
Can't wait to see where this one goes, myself!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Woolly on 22 December, 2017, 05:08:49 PM
And I may be wrong, but I don't think we've been to [spoiler]ground zero at East-Meg One[/spoiler] before now.

Not in the main strip, but some of the spin-offs certainly have.
@jamesfeistdraws

Woolly

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 December, 2017, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 22 December, 2017, 05:08:49 PM

Not in the main strip, but some of the spin-offs certainly have.

Yeah, I should have worded that a bit bettererer  :-\
I meant Dredd.

Steve Green

[spoiler]Well the sovs were dropped off there at the end of the Apocalypse War while it was still warm... maybe Red Razors (doubt anyone cares), possibly the Inspectre or Samizdat Squad but I can't honestly remember what happens in either.[/spoiler]

dweezil2

Great end of year Prog and not a duff story insight, yes even that Starlord parody!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 December, 2017, 05:24:32 PM
[spoiler]Well the sovs were dropped off there at the end of the Apocalypse War while it was still warm... maybe Red Razors (doubt anyone cares), possibly the Inspectre or Samizdat Squad but I can't honestly remember what happens in either.[/spoiler]

The majority of The Inspectre was set at East-Meg One ground zero, but the entire thing was ret-conned out of continuity by Samizdat Squad.

(I am sad about this, but philosophical. If I'd bothered to pitch a follow-up story to Tharg at any time in the last eighteen years, I might have consolidated my claim on one tiny corner of the Dredd universe, but I didn't...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 December, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Sorry, I meant to go back and spoiler tag that last party of my post, but I can't edit on this thread. Not much of a spoiler once you see the picture in the Christmas Prog, anyway.

Speaking of Spoilers, do we know when the story might start? does it have a prog number please? I don't have the Xmas prog yet.

Carlos has just put up a big picture of Wulf's son now on FB - it looks brill!

Si

Mardroid

Quote from: Jacqusie on 22 December, 2017, 08:41:46 PM

Speaking of Spoilers, do we know when the story might start? does it have a prog number please? I don't have the Xmas prog yet.

Si

There isn't a prog no. on the ad, so I don't know as yet. Thanks for the heads up concerning Carlos Ezquerra's picture! I'll have a look for that...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 December, 2017, 08:06:06 AM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 22 December, 2017, 08:41:46 PM

Si

There isn't a prog no. on the ad, so I don't know as yet. Thanks for the heads up concerning Carlos Ezquerra's picture! I'll have a look for that...

It's the teaser page from the Xmas prog.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 December, 2017, 07:07:49 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 22 December, 2017, 05:24:32 PM

The majority of The Inspectre was set at East-Meg One ground zero, but the entire thing was ret-conned out of continuity by Samizdat Squad.

(I am sad about this, but philosophical. If I'd bothered to pitch a follow-up story to Tharg at any time in the last eighteen years, I might have consolidated my claim on one tiny corner of the Dredd universe, but I didn't...)

Yeah, sad to lose that bit of history but you're probably right.

I can remember really old stuff very well, anything from the 90s on I've just a vague memory of. Maybe Tharg's the same...

Richard

Since I only reviewed half the prog in my original post, here's my review of the other half.

Brass Sun got off to an excellent start. I had gone off this series a bit last time, but this one looks promising.

Rufus Dayglo has done his best work so far on this episode of Bad Company, helped by vivid colours by Dom Regan. Story is okay, but still expecting an answer to why dead characters are alive again. I presume it has something to do with whatever created Golgotha Joe.

Savage has, as usual, brilliant art by Patrick Goddard, and plenty of action. As discussed already, some interesting historical info from Pat Mills. I was also interested in his point about the morals of Allied soldiers exploiting civilians for sex with chocolate, something I'd never considered before.

I left Ace Trucking Co till last because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it. But as it turned out, it was actually quite good. It had some funny bits, there was a proper story, and it wasn't boring. I didn't mind it.

All in all, I don't think there was a single duff story in this prog.

Colin YNWA

So the kids packed off to bed after a relaxed and enjoyable day. My wife absorbed by Game of Thrones on thetellybox I was at last able to indulge in my newest X-Mas traditional, breaking open the Christmas Prog, saved as a present to myself...

... and it was a pretty fine treat.

The also new tradition of numbering these big boys as regular progs means that the Dredd being a solid story continuation isn't really too disappointing (do miss the fun one offs though) and boy is Colin MacNeil just knocking it out the park these day. Stunning.

Brass Sun, back and in blistering form already. Loved that final line and well onboard with this already.

Savage the first of too Mills offerings and neither was grating, well done Uncle Pat, now lets see if you can keep this up.

Bad Company  solid recap and set up so lets see how this develops, happy to have this back but hope the duo of Milligan and Dayglo get back to Counterfeit Girl soon... not relevent to this but thought I'd drop it in.

Deadworld continues to completely win me over and this was fantastic.

Ace Trucking Co right its time Tharg made his mind up. Stop messing about with these cute one-off in just about every special this side of 2015 (or whenever it was this returned to us. You got Nigel Dobbyn on board so either give us a proper series of ACE to let it breathe and develop or be done with it I say and get Mr Dobbyn onto something more substancial.

ABC Warriors see Savage, this one was particularly nice set up I thought.

Starlord - this was fantastic fun and just the sort of thing an X-Mas special needs. Loved this.

The text feature I thought would be right up my street but it was all old 'golden age' and I always wish people would look beyond the first 500 progs (there was the odd exception of course) for this type of thing, still good fun.

So yeah all that and some lovely hints (or pages) of things to come and this was a fine way to wrap up the year, or really set up 2018.

I raise a glass (or should that be polythene cup) to you green face - top stuff.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 December, 2017, 09:17:57 PM
Dredd being a solid story continuation isn't really too disappointing (do miss the fun one offs though) and boy is Colin MacNeil just knocking it out the park these day. Stunning.

It is been a bit of a revelation for me reading some of the Mega Collection volumes, which basically show how great Colin MacNeil has been on Dredd over the years. I have posted previously that it is a shame we don't get more of his painted style (such as on America and Mechanismo) but actually his other style is as good as anything anyone else is doing. I saying is doing, but the Mega Collection read shows he has been "knocking it out of the park" for years.