Main Menu

Cronik-als of Ribbit. What the??

Started by Last of the V8's, 28 August, 2004, 03:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Just seen Chronicles of Riddick a visually stupendous movie,very Mark Harrison.
But what the f*&k is going on.
I hardly understood a word of it????

Shewrog

Have u seen Pitch Black? That'll help with some of the background on characters etc.
I've just got back from seeing it and I think it has been treated unfairly, not just by the "mainstream" journalists but by sci fi mags etc as well. I think all involved did really well to get all of that up on screen, if the promised sequels don't materialise we'll never see it's like again. Yeah, it wasn't particularly original but what is these days ?? (apart from the rather nifty little horror script i've been working on all week, aspiring directors please contact me!)

Leigh S

Its really getting a slating isnt it?   Is it really that bad?  I kind of enjoyed Pitch Black (being one of the 5 peolpe who actually saw it in the cinema) and was kind of interested in seeing this, but the neg vibes are strong....

Mr D

I liked it! Riddick is an excellent character and Twohy has made some really nifty films in his career.

Generally Contrary

It was like a Metabaron film.  Which is a good thing, and a bad thing.

Excellent visuals...

I actually preferred it to I, Robert. I... pretended to be a thoughtful film at points, and then didn't explore any of the decent questions it promised to raise.  Rabbit, on the other hand, was a simple action adventure.

Shewrog

My opinion is worth next to nothing but don't be put off by the negative vibes because youre right, they sure are strong with this one, but it's a VERY strong film visually and the ideas aren't THAT bad, I agree with the Metabarons comment above, and lets face it if youre a fan of epic but grimy heavy metal space opera cinema (like me) we can't be to fussy and I'd argue that it's the only film that has come close to creating something "like" the Peter F Hamilton Nights Dawn books...and the final few seconds are great and very unexpected..roll on the next ones, woo-hoo!

Queen Firey-Bou

It sure looks like it rocks, whats this pitch black one? is it a prequell ?

Mr D

Pitch Black was what Twohy made first because he knew he couldn't get support for a trilogy. He made a viewer friendly sci-fi horror, featuring the character of Riddick.

Mr C

Pitch Black's a good filum, Bou. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Go see!

Last of the V8's

Yup, I've seen Pitch Black one of my fave movies, and Twohy has made some good films always getting more bang for the buck.
It's just that I didn't understand this one.
Maybe the DVD directors cut oout in October Region 1 will help.

Steamboy

anyone seen Dark Fury, its an animated prequal to C.O.R...not too bad, animation by Peter Cheung(sp)he of Aon Flux. Original voices nice action but its running times a little bit short (about 30 mins). Shows just how much of a hard arsed anti hero Riddick is(with a heart of gold).

CU Krestel

paulvonscott

Riddick... entertaining enough, just try not to think and you'll be ok.  This so desperately wants to be cool, it hurts.  Pretty embarressing all round.

Basically it's some plot against some evil raiders, with all the elements of the first film re-hashed.

Watch riddick run from place to place!

A film desperately in search of a story.