Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrpepperami

Watched taken on channel 4. Plot was terrible but was good mindless action. The girl was played the 17 year old daughter completely overacted the role. At the start in the cafe running to her dad like a goofy 13 year old. Don't know about you guys but the 17 year old  I see dont wanna be seen dead with their parents and are too adult for their own good. Also what happened to luv besson? He only writes mindless pap now.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 March, 2011, 08:49:42 PM
Saw Battle: Los Angeles this evening. Expectations were low but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheesy, formulaic and explodey. It was like a fun version of Independence Day.

Good to hear, I like the look of that.

The Legendary Shark

"Arn: Knight Templar." Based on a trilogy I've never read by a writer I've never heard of, but really rather good.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mrpepperami on 14 March, 2011, 08:50:33 PM
Also what happened to luc besson? He only writes mindless pap now.
Well, to be fair, even his best stuff was always supremely stylish pap, he's written or produced half the most fun B movies of the last ten years and his most recent effort looks like a lot of fun although it's only really played at the odd arthouse cinema over here:

Adele Blanc-Sec
We never really die.

TordelBack

I (tried to) read the first few Tardi Blanc-Sec books years ago, they were great - must try to see the film.  Trailer has the most gratuitous booby shot in the history of cinema, but it was anticipated and much appreciated.

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed taken.  There was a nice simplicity and brutality about it that gets obscured in a lot of movies.  And compare and contrast it's depiction of the mechanics that support prostitution to that seen in most Hollywood movies.

Caught most of I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY.  Still trying to figure out who it offended most.  (Not previously a fan of almond faced  Jessica Biel but she is awesomely hot in this)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 March, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
I quite enjoyed taken.  There was a nice simplicity and brutality about it that gets obscured in a lot of movies.  And compare and contrast it's depiction of the mechanics that support prostitution to that seen in most Hollywood movies.

Caught most of I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY.  Still trying to figure out who it offended most.  (Not previously a fan of almond faced  Jessica Biel but she is awesomely hot in this)

I've never seen it, but I remember the tv spot playing a lot around it's release. I'd just had a bit of an operation so had to refrain from certain activities for a couple of months, and the sight of Jessica Biel's arse constantly appearing on tv was a torment like no other. Too much information?

Ignatzmonster

Carlos Parts Two and Three: Finally got to finish this on break. Long as it is, I do suggest it. Illuminating but never boring. Part three should be called Aaaaand Shit Does Not Go Well. I spent a great deal of time talking at the movie. The three things I said the most were, "Holy Shit!" "Are you kidding me!?" and the most frequent, "Well what the fuck did you expect?"

A Single Man: Good melancholy movie. You can tell the director is a fashion designer and an OCD sufferer.

The Thing: Love this movie but hadn't seen it in over a decade and the wife had never seen it. When the wife asked worriedly during the opening sequence if the dog was going to live I had the pleasure of saying "Baby the dogs going to be just fine." Oh the looks of hate I got later. So worth it.

Tiplodocus

QuoteI'd just had a bit of an operation so had to refrain from certain activities for a couple of months, and the sight of Jessica Biel's arse constantly appearing on tv was a torment like no other. Too much information?

Certainly understand.  I was in a similar situation and thought I'd be safe watching gritty death row drama MONSTERS BALL.  It cost me six stitches.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mangamax

Saw "Battle Los Angeles" yesterday. It was okay in a turn-your-brain-off way and the effects were good.
But could've done without all the gungho BS, the constant jerky camera motion and, yet again, Michelle Rodriguez alternating between blankface and scowlface.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

El Chivo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 March, 2011, 04:28:14 PM
QuoteI'd just had a bit of an operation so had to refrain from certain activities for a couple of months, and the sight of Jessica Biel's arse constantly appearing on tv was a torment like no other. Too much information?

Certainly understand.  I was in a similar situation and thought I'd be safe watching gritty death row drama MONSTERS BALL.  It cost me six stitches.

Don't watch 'Pirahna'
Not for a while yet, & defo take the 3d glasses off

Chi

Keef Monkey

Ouch Tips, I'm squirming in sympathy! I'm happy to say it was a while back, I can look at all the boobs and bums I like now. And I do.

And do get back on-topic (and to spare me embarrassing myself further), Biel is lovely. She might be the reason I even enjoyed Blade Trinity (I fear I've just embarrassed myself again).

Albion

The Book of Eli.
Good story, a few ridiculous moments, some good actors involved and always a pleasure to see Tom Waits.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 March, 2011, 08:57:52 PM
And do get back on-topic

That should have read to get back on topic. Otherwise it looks like I'm telling you off.

Professor Bear

Battle: Los Angeles - given my review of it's main competition can be summed as "Fuck Skyline in the ass", I wasn't going to need much from this beyond that I leave the cinema without the overpowering need to punch the makers in the face, and while it delivered on that front there's still a good old-fashioned gung-ho action movie about Our Boys giving it to the space-Nazis to be enjoyed if you can make it past the Fucking Omnipresent And Inappropriate Shakycam that reduces action scenes to visual noise where you simply have to wait until it's all done or wait for audio clues to figure out who's winning or who bought the farm.  I enjoyed B:LA, but from now on I'm not paying a penny to see anything with shaky camerawork.  I'm past "over it" and now onto "detracts from enjoyment to the point I can do without anything that features it."

Otherwise, good matinee or pre-pub entertainment.