Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

i forgot the lads at indigo prime appeared this early course it doesn't help "the complete" indigo prime didn't include it.

also rereading ace trucking and yeah....i can see why the ultimate collection stopped at aces death these last two stories stank

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: The Monarch on 25 April, 2019, 01:31:04 PM
also rereading ace trucking and yeah....i can see why the ultimate collection stopped at aces death these last two stories stank

I've often wondered if they'd got in trouble over the tricked into suicide angle and were forced to bring Ace back, but as no one ever mentions that I guess not.

There's not even any weird Bellardinelli aliens to look at in this one, just a lot of humans which is always his weakest point.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dandontdare

They would have been perfectly fine 3 or 4 parters, but 26 weeks each was just taking the piss, the central gag of each was just stretched waaaay too long.

Greg M.

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 April, 2019, 05:52:57 PM
I've often wondered if they'd got in trouble over the tricked into suicide angle and were forced to bring Ace back, but as no one ever mentions that I guess not.

I was under the impression that Wagner and Grant had grown to really dislike Ace (there's a certain point - maybe Strike! - at which his character notably changes and he becomes a lot more weaselly, signalling, I suspect, their contempt for him) but readers absolutely and quite rightly loved the series, and besieged Tharg for its return, much as depicted in 'Whatever Happened to Ace Garp?' Whilst 'The Doppelgarp' is largely poor, it has a few strong moments, particularly in the opening episodes: the death of Ace's scarf is oddly touching. 'The Garpetbaggers', however, is complete mince - I love Ace Garp, but I'm not sure I've ever managed to sit down and read that story from start to finish in one sitting. However, I'd argue that the whole 'parallel universe' stuff is redeemed by the final story from the '89 annual, which is absolutely beautiful in terms of Massimo's full-colour art, and which brings the series to a perfect conclusion. (Wagner and Grant clearly still hate Ace in it though!)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed tenth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 27-30 of Action! This time Blackjack gets his man, Death Game gets recruiting, both Hellman AND Hookjaw get blown up, and Dredger gets dead, but only for a bit!

This episode Conrad is joined by David Ronayne of the Beyond the Soda and Where Eagles Dare podcast! Where Eagles Dare recaps the Eagle comic from the 1980s! If you like our show you'll love Where Eagles Dare!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 April, 2019, 06:52:22 PM
They would have been perfectly fine 3 or 4 parters, but 26 weeks each was just taking the piss, the central gag of each was just stretched waaaay too long.

This really sums up my thoughts about the comics, it's a testament to Belardinelli's ability to get art out there, but good lord these comics DRAG ON.
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Eamonn Clarke

Please tell me there's audio of Conrad and David (or Fox) singing along to Dancing Queen at the end of this episode.  ;) :D

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 April, 2019, 05:52:57 PMThere's not even any weird Bellardinelli aliens to look at in this one, just a lot of humans which is always his weakest point.

I always thought the reason the last stories fell flat is because the humour just wasn't that great, but you've got it there.  A strip designed so that Belardinelli could draw lots of weird and wonderful aliens in weird and wonderful regions of space, and they take it to... Earth.

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 April, 2019, 08:28:02 PM
However, I'd argue that the whole 'parallel universe' stuff is redeemed by the final story from the '89 annual, which is absolutely beautiful in terms of Massimo's full-colour art, and which brings the series to a perfect conclusion. (Wagner and Grant clearly still hate Ace in it though!)

Massimo's painting in that final 6-page (I think, don't have it to hand?) story ranks right up there with some of the very best art that's ever been published by the House of Tharg - not bad for a strip that had been on its last legs for the previous year or so.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 29 April, 2019, 07:09:05 AM
continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 27-30 of Action!

"...an indian Doctor Khazi..."

Wait, what? Blimey...

I think that name would cause a mental sudden pause with a record scratch-type sound effect even during the seventies...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 29 April, 2019, 02:20:54 PM

Wait, what? Blimey...

I think that name would cause a mental sudden pause with a record scratch-type sound effect even during the seventies...

Have you never watched a Carry On film?  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 April, 2019, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 29 April, 2019, 02:20:54 PM

Wait, what? Blimey...

Have you never watched a Carry On film?  :lol:

And we all know which Carry On film!

Greg M.

Quote from: sheridan on 29 April, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
Massimo's painting in that final 6-page (I think, don't have it to hand?) story ranks right up there with some of the very best art that's ever been published by the House of Tharg

It is indeed a six-pager - I have the original art for four of those pages, and it is genuinely stunning. The last panel is one of my favourite ever published.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 April, 2019, 06:23:57 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 29 April, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
Massimo's painting in that final 6-page (I think, don't have it to hand?) story ranks right up there with some of the very best art that's ever been published by the House of Tharg

You're not winning any friends, you know.  Unless you want to invite us all around to your house to see them, of course.
It is indeed a six-pager - I have the original art for four of those pages, and it is genuinely stunning. The last panel is one of my favourite ever published.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 491-494 of 2000AD, covering October and November of 1986. This episode the Monsoon comes to Metalzoic, Swifty gets a job, Johnny Alpha dispenses frontier justice, Judge Dredd deals with giant ladies, body swappers, and phantoms, and Sláine is back to grind some quests!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed tenth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 31-33 of Action! This time the Grudge War concludes, the probationer gets out, kids rule, ok? And Rick Mason gets ahead of Hookjaw, if you know what I mean!

This episode Conrad is joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega-City Book club podcast! A podcaster in no need of introduction, every other week Eamonn and a guest read and review a 2000AD related collection. It's a great show, especially for fans of 2000AD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher