Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 30 May, 2018, 02:08:47 PM
The Complete Skizz is half price in the 2000 AD Shop right now...

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB611

...and I'm seriously tempted to buy even though it'll eventually turn up as part of the Hachette Ultimate Collection, as those particular progs were the ones I used to loan out to my RPG group as part of my Introduction to Dredd and they're subsequently in a pretty tatty state...

I was stoked that Skizz was half price, I bought the digital version to have a better picture of the color page from prog 329!

Quote from: The Monarch on 30 May, 2018, 07:13:09 AM
1983 sure was the year i was born in....yup

Haha, I must admit that i'm excited to actually get to years I have memories of!

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 May, 2018, 01:55:43 PM
There seems to be a preference for longer form stories on Dredd, especially from Fox which is interesting. (maybe less so on Robohunter).

I guess Dredd of that period in particular tends to pack a lot more in, so even the longer stories don't drag.

Also quite surprised that something that's heavily influenced by UK drama like Skizz stands the test of time and with an international audience - I guess some things are universal.

I'm split between the big epic stories and the super short ones, in terms of my faves. There's one coming up, "The Suspect" where there's a guy who has three jobs and Dredd finds him out, and it's a lot of fun! But way off on the horizon I see City of the Damned looming and I get very excited :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

BTW I see Hibernia have the digital versions of their specials on UK comics, including Beyond 2000 AD available.

Worth a look if you haven't read them.

https://www.facebook.com/HiberniaComics/?ref=br_rs

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 30 May, 2018, 05:01:25 AM
Hey everyone, we're a couple days away from taping our 1983 year in review show, the Spinnies! I'd love to hear what you guys thought about 1983 in the Galaxy's Greatest, and if there's anything you'd like us to discuss on the show. Anyhow, get your golden tuxedos ready! :D

I want to hear everything, as it's the year I started to read 2000AD.  I think I mentioned it in Eamonn's podcast (the first Ballad of Halo Jones one), but I was given about nine or ten progs between 308 and 322 by a neighbour when I was eight years old.  The first prog I bought was 330, I started to buy most weeks from 335 and started to buy every week from 350, so my 'firsts' were also firsts for Skizz, Slaine, Nemesis the Warlock Book III (and I think the Malak Brood story), and The Killing.

Funt Solo

This podcast is great.  I collected and read 2000AD from about prog 178 (then years later buying progs 1-177) and then I stopped getting it at prog 1683 - partly because I'd moved to the US and import costs became an issue.

So, I was having a nostalgia blether about it and decided to download a couple of progs, and I've just read prog 1685.   Uhm ... at this stage it just seems like Judge Dredd is stupid to not realize that Ambrose is Maybe.

I figure if you guys can go from prog 1, I can probably manage to get caught up to present day from 1685.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 330-333 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1983. Join us Skizz beams up, Sam Slade starts his last case, Dredd gets heavy, and a young man named Sláine arrives on our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 04 June, 2018, 03:22:42 PM
In our thrilling hundred and second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 330-333 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1983. Join us Skizz beams up, Sam Slade starts his last case, Dredd gets heavy, and a young man named Sláine arrives on our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Great stuff - as mentioned in my last comment - this is the era that got me into life-long devotion to the GG!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 04 June, 2018, 09:52:25 PM
Great stuff - as mentioned in my last comment - this is the era that got me into life-long devotion to the GG!

Nice! Hope you think we're doing it justice!

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 June, 2018, 10:56:28 PM
I figure if you guys can go from prog 1, I can probably manage to get caught up to present day from 1685.

I mean, our goal is to go from prog 1 to the present day, so I can understand how daunting it is!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 04 June, 2018, 10:09:34 PM

Certainly do - the passion, excitement and enjoyment come through, particularly when Fox has been talking about Skizz and Slaine!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2018, 01:25:29 AM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 04 June, 2018, 10:09:34 PM

Certainly do - the passion, excitement and enjoyment come through, particularly when Fox has been talking about Skizz and Slaine!

p.s. another D&Der here ;-)

WhizzBang

Am I too late for the 1983 year end comments?

1983 was my first 2000AD year and the highs were great and the lows were not very low. I knew Dredd and Slade before I started so I was sad to see Slade go in a way that seemed unnecessary.
Nemesis and Strontium Dog were new to me and I had no trouble getting into them without reading any previous storties which I am sure was a deliberate and well executed part of these strips. I was 9 when the year began and I struggled with Skizz and Slaine which perhaps weren't space/future enough for me back then.

Pat Mills has said that Slaine development involved a huge amount of research into ancient (particularly Celtic) legends and mythology. The upshot is that the more ridiculous or bizarre the thing is that happens, the more likely it has its roots in ancient legend, myth or truth. The bit in this weeks podcast about the way prisons worked is true. You can visit Clink Prison in London to find out what prison was like up to the 16th Century and prisoners did stay until they had begged or borrowed enough money to pay their way out. It is really grim and not far from the prison described in the early Slaine story.

The Monarch

it'll likely be a year -and an annual special i am booked to part of ahem- before we get to where i became a squaxx and the oddness of falling in love with a character then losing said character in a quick timeframe -being vague for foxes sake but i think you all know who i am talking about-

sheridan

Quote from: The Monarch on 05 June, 2018, 08:46:22 AM
it'll likely be a year -and an annual special i am booked to part of ahem- before we get to where i became a squaxx and the oddness of falling in love with a character then losing said character in a quick timeframe -being vague for foxes sake but i think you all know who i am talking about-

Depends - did you start reading about 1989/1990?

The Monarch

sheridan

Quote from: The Monarch on 05 June, 2018, 05:44:58 PM
yup
On the same page then.  It was possible you were referring to [spoiler]Chief Judges Silver or McGruder[/spoiler], [spoiler]Wulf[/spoiler] or any of the members of [spoiler]Bad Company who died but inexplicably aren't dead now[/spoiler].

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and third episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1984 2000AD Annual. This is the seventh 2000AD annual and we're seeing a great combination of new stories and classic thrills in these pages.

This episode Conrad is joined by Steve Green, the co-director of Search/Destroy, the Strontium Dog fan film, the cinematographer of Judge Minty, the Judge Dredd fan film, and visual effects artist for the recent Rogue Trooper: The Quartz Massacre fan film!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

It was super fun talking to Steve about these thrills. We also talked about his movie making, but it was too much for one episode! I'll have that part of our conversation up next week as a special bonus episode.