Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 22 March, 2016, 05:19:12 PM
This is starting to remind me of the time our characters had to hide out in a toadmen brothel, waiting for a Todorini naval officer to turn up so we could blackmail him... It was fine until we started thinking about how a toad brothel would actually work, biologically...
Frogspawn all over the (knocking) shop!

I was going to say I wasn't familiar with Dragon Warriors, but a quick look at wikipedia reveals it's set in the same world as Blood Sword, of which I have the first book.

1. From the Battlepits of Krarth - a werewolf pack?
2. From a random encounter generator for Dragon Warriors:

• 15 elves
  • a bear
  • 3 pazuzus
  • a boar
3. From a Dragon Warriors Wiki:

• Apemen
  • Bats
  • Centaurs
  • Fell Toads
  • Mermaids
  • Pigeons (!)

TordelBack

Long have I wanted to read Blood Sword!   Cheers for that Sheridan - I was aware of the Cobwebbed Forest encounter geneator, but never used it. I'd forgotten all about the Pazuzu, that'd be perfect: going to make one the 'mastermind' behind the quarry situation, and give him a few frog-men (Swamp Folk in DW terms) as cowed minions. I had been waiting on a Reaper Bones Owl Bear mini, but he's been sitting in USPS depot in Chicago for 9 days now, so a Pazuzu will do fine as a lone tough and freaky boss monster. Will go well with the general paranoid air of the campaign.

Toad brothels may have to wait.

Satanist

I won at Munchkin last night for the first time. Kneel before Zod!

Found my old chess set and the boys want to learn so will need to crush them at teach them that at some point.

We are almost probably definitely going to play X-wing this weekend and I also need to read up on basic D&D as they want a game up and running in time for Easter hols.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 22 March, 2016, 11:41:53 PM
Frogspawn all over the (knocking) shop!

Yeah, that was pretty much the conclusion we came to.  My character was a Lich though, so was mystified about the whole procreation thing - "You mean you don't just go to the graveyard and dig up some bodies? That's what we do..."

sheridan

Quote from: Satanist on 23 March, 2016, 11:26:29 AMI won at Munchkin last night for the first time. Kneel before Zod!

Congratulations!

QuoteWe are almost probably definitely going to play X-wing this weekend and I also need to read up on basic D&D as they want a game up and running in time for Easter hols.

Hadn't seen the Basic Rules before - I'm not au fait enough to actually DM a game (despite having played various versions of D&D since red box days (!) but shall have to go through that.

richerthanyou

My girlfriend just asked me what I want for my birthday. I said Pandemic. Never played it but I've watched a few reviews online and they all seem to say how great it is. Looking forward to playing it.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Satanist

I bought my wife Pandemic a few weeks ago but we still have to play it. Let me know how you get on as it looks great but difficult to win.

Satanist

Quote from: sheridan on 23 March, 2016, 07:14:39 PM

Hadn't seen the Basic Rules before - I'm not au fait enough to actually DM a game (despite having played various versions of D&D since red box days (!) but shall have to go through that.

Yeah my son really wants to buy the books but that's about 60 quid for a game he's never played before so this seems a good way to try it out. It was actually the guy in the shop recommended it. Its been about 20-25 years since I last DM'd  so need to brush up before I give it a go. I'm actually quite excited as the kids are a good age and even the Mrs seems 20 sided die-curious (sorry)

Theblazeuk

The Starter Set is a really good introduction, only downside is that its layout is a bit weak with monster and NPC stats found at the back rather than alongside their main entries. I can see why for both but I would recommend using your phone to take pictures of stat blocks so you can see a goblin's attacks/etc without having to move from page to page every five seconds.

The starter characters are also quite cool in that they come with pre-written backstories that can link into the adventure if you go that way.

TordelBack

There's a decent boxed starter set out for 5th Edition which might answer as a cheaper alternative than the hardbacks.  I too dithered about re-investing in D&D poroper, and opted to go with simple rules that I aleady owned (Dragon Warriors).  Now I sort-of regret it, since 5th Ed looks very nicely polished, while the back-end of DW is a bit rough, and I spend a lot of time converting stuff.

EDIT: beaten to it!

Pyroxian

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 24 March, 2016, 10:32:08 AM
The Starter Set is a really good introduction, only downside is that its layout is a bit weak with monster and NPC stats found at the back rather than alongside their main entries. I can see why for both but I would recommend using your phone to take pictures of stat blocks so you can see a goblin's attacks/etc without having to move from page to page every five seconds.

I tend to just write up a crib document for any adventures I run, that has a page for each encounter with monster stats / encounter details copy and pasted into it, and space for notes, tracking monster HP etc. Makes it easy to go through at the end and work out what the players did / how much XP they got and what treasure they found.

I once even wrote a spread-sheet to track a troll encounter once, as it was the easiest way to remember to do all the regeneration :)

TordelBack

Yup, encounter crib-sheets are the way to go.  I also do a sheet for each PC setting out what they can do each turn - how far they can move, weapon ranges, spell effects etc, and then keep a copy myself. That's all you really need on front you at any one time, eliminates flicking and poring.

Satanist

Some great tips there guys, cheers. Looks like the works photocopier is gonna be busy  :D

Satanist

Played Pandemic for the first time last night and we all lost but it was still great fun. The kids loved the co-op aspect of it and it was good to see them reacting to the various outbreaks and coming up with their plans. We played it at its easiest level and it was genuinely quite tense & exciting . The rules are very straight forward and seem to have been very well thought out. Cracking stuff.