Main Menu

A name for a boy

Started by Trout, 26 July, 2009, 02:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

As I never tire of saying, my wife's going to have a baby boy in November.

Annoyingly, though, we can't decide on a name. We have a few possibilities, but with Rose (now three and a half) we set the bar quite high. We love her name - and so does she - and we're having problems coming up with something that good for a boy.

So... I wonder if the hive mind can help? Here are a few conditions:

1) We'd like a short first name, as our surname has three syllables.

2) Our surname ends with a "ee" sound - it's Donachie - so rhyming first names sound a bit daft. That rules out the like of Tommy, etc.

3) Something easy to spell would be good, due to having to spell our surname to everyone.

4) Suggesting names that are obviously comics references is already getting me told off. Please be subtle.

So... demanding or what?

Can anyone help?

- Trout

ThryllSeekyr

You know what I'm thinking 8)

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

A couple I know had a boy this year, and left him nameless for days as they argued over the sensible Benjamin (his idea) and, er, Rudy (her idea). Eventually they settled on the very respectable Jonah.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Emperor

Quote from: King Trout on 26 July, 2009, 02:22:08 PM4) Suggesting names that are obviously comics references is already getting me told off. Please be subtle.

Urm.... Thrag.

No one will know ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Trout

LOL LOL

You bloody loonies!

Kerrin

Joe. After chinny of course. Subtle.

Don. Maybe not.

Ptolomy?

SamuelAWilkinson

Cal, middle initial L?

That's two comic references for the price of one*!

*One annoyed missus, that is.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

COMMANDO FORCES

Rob, as in Robert Roy MacGregor  ;)
You could use the shortened version Rob most of the time and only use Robert when he's naughty, and of course there is that fantastic Scottish conection

locustsofdeath!

I tell you what, boy names are terribly difficult to come up with for some reason - well, names that are unique but not too far out there. Luckily we have two girls, because both times we went round and round and never came up with a boy's name we both liked. But how about Kenneth (Call-Me) or Eiwan (YOU-win)? Names I liked but my wife shot down. Or hell, just call him Conan, ha ha. Good luck and congrats.

Colin YNWA

Always like Alex. No gag, no reference just a name I like.

House of Usher

Suggestions from the kitchen (I'm too hungover to be in there myself doing the washing up):

John, but then you have the problem of 'Johnny'.
Ian, but it's a horrid name (sorry, Ian) and you'd have an 'ee' at each end.

I came up with Ivan as a variation on both John and Ian. I like Ivan.

Euan? Rhys? Donald? Patrick? Slaine? Newton? Ralph? Mark? Matthew? Andrew? Simon?
STRIKE !!!

satchmo

I'm about to be an Uncle and my brother and his girlfriend are calling him James.
"There's been another murder!
Someone get me Jim Donachie"
You want something that makes him sound hard  :)

Dog Deever

Use Mike Carroll's name generator for novels!

We've got a Conan, an Aedan and a Fergus
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

TordelBack

Han was mercilessly vetoed in our house (and then The Boy went on to have a friend called Luke - how I rued), so I urge you to go that way.  Think how well he'll fit into a Chinese-dominated future!  Plus the dubious advantages of always shooting first.

I have high hopes that I can push Leia through this time.  

I'm horribly biased, but in all seriousness you just can't go wrong with Jack.