Main Menu

Help from a Slaine Buff

Started by Felix Vane, 26 November, 2009, 10:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix Vane

Hey all   ;)

I've just began reading the Slaine Graphic Novels and need help, as strange as it sounds, on the reading order. I've all three books of The Horned God, All three versions of The Books of Invasions, Slaine the Exile, Slaine the Defiler, Warriors Dawn and soon to be Demon Slayer.

So what order should I read them in so that the story flows as it should?

Any help from any fine, outstanding members of the public will be appreciated!  ;D

Felix Vane

Just as a P.S I Forgot to add!

The Warriors Foundary models of 2000AD Characters, Are they made for an already existing game, Or are they just models for collection/aesthetic purposes?

Thanks again!  :D

Mike Gloady

Welcome Felix!

The order of the Mills-written stuff (i.e. not the novels) is as follows:

Slaine: Book 1 - Warrior's Dawn
Slaine: Book 2 - Time Killer
Slaine: Book 3 - The King
Slaine: Book 4 - The Horned God (part of the first bit of which recaps in very sweeping detail the events of the first three as it was the first colour series so folks could be caught up nice and easy if they came to it with no previous knowledge)

and then the upcoming
Slaine: Demon Killer (the beginning of the time-travel era)

then there's a gap of stuff that's yet to be reprinted - then it's back to his own time in "The Secret Commonwealth" (also yet to be reprinted) and then

Slaine: The Books of Invasions (volumes 1-3)

Then, uncollected as yet, we've had "The Gong Beater" and "The Amber Smuggler" - both with art by Clint Langley who did the Books of Invasions.

He should be up on Wikipedia if you look. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Am I the only one who thinks that "Gong Beater" and "Amber Smuggler" sound just a little bit ... well ... fnarr, fnarr?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

I will quickly try to answer your question before Mayor ThryllSeekyr brings you his unique blend of shock and awe.

Warriors Dawn
Time Killer
Slaine the King
The Horned God
Demon Killer
... quite a bit of stuff that either hasn't been reprinted or is out of print...
Books of Invasions I - III

Details of the currently available books, in order, here: You wont think it too many

The two novels don't really fit into this being (I believe) a sort of retelling/fleshing out of the early stories.

I don't think there's a specific Slaine game, but I'm not up on that stuff.
We never really die.

Mike Gloady

I may have just said all that, Cosh! ;p  Although I conceed your brevity makes more sense.

But then, as you say, TS will be here shortly to repeat it all with less clarity than either of us managed (kidding).  I believe there was a roleplaying game from Mongoose, but I don't think the minatures have any relation to that. 

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2009, 10:44:59 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that "Gong Beater" and "Amber Smuggler" sound just a little bit ... well ... fnarr, fnarr?

No, you're not.  But most Slaine titles are a bit amusing.  Horny God anyone?

Felix Vane

Wheyy, Thanks guys, Much appreciated! I found myself going from Book to book finding Slaine Older, Younger, mixing with Characters I've never heard of. It's a pain time killer costs so much!

Thanks again :)

Mike Gloady

Is it very expensive?

Oh and now you're here, you may as well go and start a welcome thread to give other boarders the chance to make you feel part of the community.  You'll be glad you did.  Welcome again Felix.

vzzbux

Just a matter of time before The Mayor arrives.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: vzzbux on 26 November, 2009, 11:14:32 PM
Just a matter of time before The Mayor arrives.

Can someone PM me every time ThryllSeekyr posts something? I can't keep track of all the threads, and I don't want to miss any of our Mayor's pronouncements.

Cheers!

Jim

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2009, 11:18:26 PM
[Can someone PM me every time ThryllSeekyr posts something? I can't keep track of all the threads, and I don't want to miss any of our Mayor's pronouncements.

Quiet, you cnut.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 November, 2009, 11:25:53 PM

Quiet, you cnut.

That's very kind of you, Tordel ... thank you. I look forward to your PMs.

Cheers!

Jim

Mike Gloady

I think TB is trying to tell you there's something regal about you.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2009, 10:44:59 PM
Am I the only one . . .

Oh, Jim. Didn't you learn anything over at the JBF? ;)
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 November, 2009, 05:10:20 PM

Oh, Jim. Didn't you learn anything over at the JBF? ;)

Well, clearly I didn't learn that calling out the Chief on a stealth change to the posting guidelines gets you banned, that's fer damn sure!

Cheers

Jim