Free software recommendations

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 28 June, 2010, 01:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 17 September, 2010, 11:14:57 PM
I finally confessed to braking the PC

(And I'm not even sure it IS my fault)

Well no it might not be...

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 17 September, 2010, 11:14:57 PMso what's the best way to convince tech support to either send an enginer or a new machine?

Depends on who "tech support" are, how long you've had the computer and whether you've managed to get the slice of jam-smothered toast out of the DVD drive yet ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

The Doctor Alt 8

I lve in a ground floor flat.
It wouldn't work

But panic over, After being talked though a full factory reset,

Apocolipse box is working AOK....

So far.

But no more free programmes for me.

They are for normal people.

staticgirl

I suspect some of those problems you had may eventually turn out to have been caused by those dodgy e-mails you had more than the free programs. Some of those e-mails are getting ever so good at deceiving. I've had a couple from 'facebook' that I have opened without thinking despite being very aware of this and very comfortable with my computer. I always start running every disinfectant I can think of afterwards...

Most of the programs like GIMP that have been recommended here have been available for years and have good reputations. However, it could be that somewhere in their files they clash with something else that is on the computer.

It does sound like something virusey got on yr PC and hopeful nuking it and rebuilding it (if the worst comes to the worst) will sort out your problems.

Peter Wolf

This is what happens when you run rubbish defective Windows software in your computer.

Personally i wouldnt touch any of it as its absolute Garbage and it would be perfectly easy to rewrite the security aspect of the software but Microsoft choose not to and it must be impossible to calculate the losses financial or otherwise and the misery it inflicts on everyone who uses it.

I just dont understand anyone who uses it and who doesnt look into alternative software/programmes that you can even get for free.

I wouldnt buy or use any computer that has Windows/Microsoft software already downloaded and if i did i would delete it and throw it in the trash where it belongs.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

One I picked up from a recommendation by Warren Ellis, I often jam bits and bobs I find online into Notepad files but it can get messy away from the core of important files and this really helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evernote
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

El Chivo

Can anyone recomend a good free comic reader? .cbr files
I downloaded Comical which worked fine at first but now doesn't work at all

Cheers

Chi

Jared Katooie

El Chivo

That works but how can't seem to to turn the pages there's no icons on screen?

El Chivo

Ok cool think i got it
Cheers Jared!

Chi