Main Menu

Ask the Hivemind!

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 05 June, 2011, 09:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 06 June, 2011, 03:21:01 PM
I was dreading clicking on this thread for the backlash thinking that i had started an argument and then thinking that it may have been easier to not say anything at all.

Where's the fun in that pete?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing

When in the Arctic, or similar very cold place, and suffering from bodily reaction to the low temperature, why is it not okay to just spray yourself with Deep Heat?

I've just given my legs a light covering and frankly, I'm on fire from the thighs down.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 June, 2011, 11:42:15 AM
When in the Arctic, or similar very cold place, and suffering from bodily reaction to the low temperature, why is it not okay to just spray yourself with Deep Heat?
It's more important to keep your heart and brain warm at the expense of a few fingers.

Deep Heat and similar embrocations don't actually produce warmth, they simply irritate the skin to produce a similar sensation.
We never really die.

strontium71

Has anyone here used the cycle2work scheme? Apparently you can get a new cycle for up to 52% off. Does this scheme work , is it simple? I don't want to try it if there's a catch at the end. This is a linky to the site..
http://www.bike2workscheme.co.uk/index.php
...because I hate you.

vzzbux

Its all to do with keeping your core warm and protecting you vital organs. Thats why it is bad to ingest alcohol as it relaxes you and spreads your body heat thus cooling you down quicker.
This iconic image must really mean 'I am trying to kill you'.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Cujo wasn't rabid at all - he just took more direct action.

Proudhuff

Quote from: strontium71 on 11 June, 2011, 07:51:01 PM
Has anyone here used the cycle2work scheme? Apparently you can get a new cycle for up to 52% off. Does this scheme work , is it simple? I don't want to try it if there's a catch at the end. This is a linky to the site..
http://www.bike2workscheme.co.uk/index.php

We have it  but not used it, as my bike only cost 200 and I'm officially low paid so it wasn't really worth it. If you're buying an expensive bike it is worth doing.

However the HM tax people are feck about with it now, due to some Scouse firemen using it for illegal gains allegedly, the big drawback is the 5% to pay at the end to own it outright, although I've hear there is a way round this. Also you have to know you'll be with your employer five years from now or you haave to buy it outright or give it back, a lot of hassle if your just wanting a commuting mule.
DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

Will I ever get the feeling back in the end of the index finger that I slashed open two weeks ago whilst camping?

I thought it would have come back by now.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dunk!

For any of our Northern Irish boarders: Is it still common for the Police to be refered to as Peelers in Northern Ireland?

Just sat through Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy which is partly set in Northern Ireland (all the main action is still filmed in California, with 2nd unit stuff, filmed on location in Ireland, crowbarred in), So thought I'd double check that fact before I completely condemn the thing as Americanised rubbish.
"Trust we"

vzzbux

Quote from: Lee Bates on 13 June, 2011, 01:31:49 PM
Will I ever get the feeling back in the end of the index finger that I slashed open two weeks ago whilst camping?

When I was young my dog was fighting with another so I started punching the both of them in the face to separate them. They both split and I had a massive gash in my thumb, leaving a nice scar in my thumb print. I still have little feeling in the face of my thumb so depending on how deep you cut it and damage to your nerve endings you will probably have little or no feeling from now on.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

You punched two fighting dogs in the face? :o
The forum's hardest man award has just been won.
SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: Lee Bates on 13 June, 2011, 01:31:49 PM

Hard to know.  I cut two fingers to the bone below the first joint when I was about 13 - I had virtually no feeling (beyond firm pressure) in them for 2 or 3 years, but now the only remaining numbness is a vaguely pins-and-needles sensation around the wound on my ring finger.  Cool scars though!

strontium71

Does anyone know how to store emails into their own folder on BT Yahoo? I have all these emails that I don't want to delete but find they are cluttering up the inbox. I would like to put them in sorted folders if that's possible , but don't know how..

And thanks Proudhuff for the bike info  :thumbsup:
...because I hate you.

Peter Wolf

I have cut my fingers and hands various times quite deeply mostly with glass and i have not lost any sensation around any of those cuts.

I have killed off some nerve endings when i used to punch a wall and hard surfaces repeatedly to build up and toughen my knuckles.It hasnt completely killed off pain sensation but it is considerably dulled.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 June, 2011, 03:29:08 PM
You punched two fighting dogs in the face? :o
The forum's hardest man award has just been won.
SBT

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 13 June, 2011, 08:47:07 PM
I have cut my fingers and hands various times quite deeply mostly with glass ... i used to punch a wall and hard surfaces repeatedly to build up and toughen my knuckles.

...aaaand, the competition is reopened!