Main Menu

NES classic question

Started by Smith, 11 February, 2018, 05:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

I need a bit of hive mind help.Is NES Classic worth it,in the entertaiment value?Is it something you could come back to every day,or does the nostalgia factor wears out soon?
And how much is it worth,roughly?Would you go over 150?

IndigoPrime

Isn't this one entirely in the eye of the beholder? How much do you like NES games? And I don't mean how much did you once like them? How much do you like them now?

If you're unsure, grab an emulator, download some dodgy ROMs of the games, and see how you fare. If you're bored or frustrated after ten minutes, the NES Classic isn't worth bothering with. If you're still at your PC five hours later, deep into Zelda, clearly a TV version of the experience might be worth investing in.

Do be mindful of certain things though: the NES Classic is not easily expandable (although it is hackable, if you know what you're doing), has stupidly short leads for the controllers, and is – these days – ridiculously expensive.

Personally, I was never hot for the NES anyway, and so I find its appeal limited. I prefer the SNES, but even then probably won't bother with a dedicated unit; in part, though, that's because my day job often involves playing games, and I don't have time for retro fare at the moment. That said, things like the C64 Mini do have a nostalgic twang factor, because that was my machine back in the day; if the NES was yours, perhaps you'll find it's well worth the outlay.

James Stacey

If you have to ask then the answer is no. A lot of the games although not without charm don't hold up and from that point its down to nostalgia.

Link Prime

Honestly, I get more enjoyment just looking at it than I did playing it.

radiator

It's certainly subjective - and will definitely depend on your age - but I personally struggle to play games that came out prior to the 16 bit era for very long. It was only really with the 16 bit SNES era that home console gaming really came of age - ie stopped trying to emulate the arcade 'high score' style experience in favour of something with a bit more depth.

I highly recommend getting a SNES Classic instead, assuming you don't already have one. Mega Man X, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Contra III, Final Fantasy 6, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Punch Out! and Super Metroid all offer far richer, more absorbing (and far less teeth-grindingly frustrating) experiences than their 8 bit NES predecessors.

The NES Classic is more of a novelty item in my mind (which is why I don't own one), while the SNES Classic is actually a serious gaming proposition.

Smith

Thanks for the advice,guys.I see now that SNES would be a better investment,actually. :)

Smith

Thanks for the advice,guys.I see now that SNES would be a better investment,actually. :)

SIP

I bought the snes last week after selling off all my original snes games last year. Apart from the great games on there, I admit that I added all the other games that I wanted that didn't come pre installed (super star wars games, chrono trigger), and it's completely great. Also got an english translated copy of secret of mana 2 on there which I'm silly excited about. A lot of Snes games still stand up very well.

It's worth buying for mana, final fantasy, metroid and ghouls n ghosts alone.

I agree that the nes games are too basic and more of a novelty value. Fingers crossed for an Amiga one of these somewhere down the line so I can get Alien Breed Tower Assault.

radiator

Quote from: SIP on 15 February, 2018, 05:12:40 PM
A lot of Snes games still stand up very well.

It's worth buying for mana, final fantasy, metroid and ghouls n ghosts alone.

Yeah. Testament to how well they hold up is that there are quite a few games I never played at the time so don't have any nostalgia for (Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Mega Man X and most recently Super Punch Out) only to play them 10, 20+ years after release and had a great time with them.

I just can't get into old NES games in the same way. Even 'classics' like Mega Man 2 or the original Legend of Zelda I find basically unplayable nowadays because of how insanely hard and unforgiving they are.