Main Menu

True Detective

Started by Link Prime, 01 March, 2014, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Anyone else watching this?
Wasn't quite sure about the first episode, so I thought I'd give it two before passing comment. Problem is, I'm still unsure about it.
Well shot, good lead actors (as expected), compelling (if a little Hannibal-ish) plot.

I just...don't actually know if I like it or not.
Only 8 episodes in total (each season is planned to have a different story / cast) so it won't be a huge commitment either way.

Anyway, my guess after 5 minutes was that [spoiler]Woody[/spoiler] was the killer. Too obvious?

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
I just...don't actually know if I like it or not. Only 8 episodes in total (each season is planned to have a different story / cast) so it won't be a huge commitment either way.

That short running time and the novelty of a cast churn every season piqued my interest, and I've only heard extraordinary things about it. Your own ambivalence has only heightened my curiosity, so I suppose I'll have to give it a go.

Link Prime

I too had heard nothing but high praise from my two key sources of in-synch entertainment appreciation, which could have led to too high expectations.
They're a few episodes ahead though, so perhaps it's a slow burner.

JOE SOAP

It's holding my interest which is good enough for me.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2014, 10:43:45 PM
I too had heard nothing but high praise from my two key sources of in-synch entertainment appreciation, which could have led to too high expectations.
They're a few episodes ahead though, so perhaps it's a slow burner.

It's definitely worth sticking with; it's apparent that From Hell (the book) is a big influence, not just the ritual killings but the wackier metaphysical stuff and literary allusions mixed with pitch-black American conspiracies.

Dudley

You need to watch episodes 1-3, but it's only towards the end of episode 4 that it becomes apparent where the show's going.  The two leads give the most astonishing performances throughout.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I'm liking this show. Sometimes I find myself thinking "what the hell is he going on about?" with Chole's 'deep' speeches. But overall it is good. I think it started really great but the last few episodes haven't been as strong and now with two episodes left I feel the ending may be a little underwhelming.

willthemightyW

Just finished episode four. Best show on T.V! It's been subtley changing its format through out, then this episode it turned into a bayou version of The Wire, complete with [spoiler]'The Projects'[/spoiler] and all. And that whole [spoiler]one take raid and escape scene[/spoiler] had me on the edge of my seat. Absolutely amazing, made all the more impressive by the fact it was all orchestrated and shot in real time.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Art

Link Prime

Watched eps 3-5 last night (I won't divulge how  ;)).

I'm 100% sold.
The edge of my seat was quite visibly worn during the final 10 minutes of ep 4, and ep 5 was just stellar from start to finish.
I believe the last part just aired in the states, so I'll probably have completed the series by Monday.

Fantastic TV, and a definite upcoming Blu-Ray purchase.

Quote from: Art on 05 March, 2014, 01:40:40 AM
Time is a flat circle.

Indeed brother.

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 March, 2014, 02:45:49 PM
Watched eps 3-5 last night (I won't divulge how) ... a definite upcoming Blu-Ray purchase.

I suppose I'll have to resort to the same means as yourself, or the first time I see True Detective will be when I unwrap it at Christmas. I'm clearing the current backlog of books and films in preparation of a BIG WATCH; if the final episode is on next week, I should work my way through the episodes in time to watch the finale as soon as internet-Jack-Sparrow makes it available to download.

Call me a communist, but this is only a problem because of the variety of video-on-demand platforms and exclusivity deals. If there was one monolithic provider charging £10 per month to watch everything as soon as it was broadcast/released on DVD, I would pay that rather than paranoically running virus and phishing software every time I want to watch an episode of Mad Men. Learn from what happened to the music industry ...

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
Anyone else watching this?

No, not as yet, but its caught my interest. Saw a trailer for it, the last time I was at the cinema.

Is this being shown on any terrestrial channel in the UK yet, does anyone know?

Or is it on Sky, or some such?

Professor Bear

Quote from: sauchie on 07 March, 2014, 05:17:15 PMCall me a communist, but this is only a problem because of the variety of video-on-demand platforms and exclusivity deals. If there was one monolithic provider

Monopolies usually don't end well, but Torrents are pretty reliable since most tracking sites introduced rating systems, so I'd grab True Detective as quick as I could, if only to stop the flood of spoilers if there's a twist ending coming.

Streaming services are currently unreliable for many reasons, not least because ISPs have figured they can legally blackmail companies like Netflix with unreliable speeds if they don't cough up millions in protection fees.

Spikes

Ah, I see.
Note to self; Must read all posts in future...

Recrewt

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 March, 2014, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 07 March, 2014, 05:17:15 PMCall me a communist, but this is only a problem because of the variety of video-on-demand platforms and exclusivity deals. If there was one monolithic provider

Monopolies usually don't end well, but Torrents are pretty reliable since most tracking sites introduced rating systems, so I'd grab True Detective as quick as I could, if only to stop the flood of spoilers if there's a twist ending coming.

Streaming services are currently unreliable for many reasons, not least because ISPs have figured they can legally blackmail companies like Netflix with unreliable speeds if they don't cough up millions in protection fees.

I'm all for paying a fair price for something too but they do seem to be going out of their way to make it difficult for me.  Its a strange situation where torrents have become the easy/reliable option.