Main Menu

Wail with JOY! Mark Russell does IDW mini-series

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 February, 2018, 08:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I got my Wednesday's mixed up and thought it was going to be out next week, so was pleasantly surprised when it was in my comic bag already (don't recall if I asked for it, but my FLCS knows me well - they generally know to put any original 2000AD-IP stuff in there).

sheridan

Read it now - good, but as has been pointed out, more than a little influenced by the 2012 film.  Presentation-wise, I liked the gallery of covers at the back (though confused why people would be multiple covers if they're all starscan-style in one edition).

TordelBack

Very solid read that, but definitely too close to the Dredd film for complete comfort.  As a result it feels like one of those Marvel books where they tweak characters/origins to better match the movie versions. But there are worse ideas, and this is an enjoyable example.  Art is pretty sharp and on-model too.  That's three good IDW books I've read (the others being City of Courts (which I find myself re-reading quite often) and Rogue Trooper). 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 June, 2018, 11:18:01 PM
That's three good IDW books I've read (the others being City of Courts (which I find myself re-reading quite often)

I thought I was alone.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

broodblik

They published a very nice Judge Anderson collection with awesome  art by Carl Critchlow. Same can be said about Judge Dredd Year One (art by Simon Coleby).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Good set up amd decent start. Being a big fan of the Mark Russell work I've read I was really looking forward to this and wondered why I was too taken by it. Then I realised it was simply that the ideas and themes set up in this issue had all been discussed in the Thrillcast so nothing felt anymore interesting than my excitment as they were discussed... the proof will be in how this is delievered in the next three issues...

dweezil2

Got my copy today and you know what, that wasn't half bad!
While obviously hugely indebted to the 2012 movie-no bad thing, Russell had Dredd's terse delivery down well and there where some nice satirical touches in the little background details.
Rather lovely art too!
I'm greatly looking forward to #2!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Trout

JOE SOAP

If the rest of it is as well put together as this, I'd definitely buy as part of an ongoing series with this crew.

Magnetica

Just read the first issue. It was ok, certainly better than the other IDW Dredd stuff I have read.

It seems to be set in regular 2000AD continuity rather than the IDW Dredd one (given it features Chief Judge Hershey).

IndigoPrime

In the podcast, he acknowledged the debt he owned to the movie, but it seems his approach was in part about subversion. (The movie being about Dredd having to subdue an entire block, but in this series having to work alongside citizens who have been crapped on.)