Main Menu

Are we all looking at the same photos here or what?

Started by Judge Cassidy, 09 February, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Misanthrope on 10 February, 2011, 02:54:31 AM
It is not ALL ABOUT Dredd not showing his face, it is ALL ABOUT the facelessness of the law that Dredd represents.

S'right.  The uniform represents the Law, and he is the Law (wwwhhh).  However, I don't think we'd have minded the helmetless padless Dredd that much if the film had been any good. 

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'm inclined to agree with Dany Cannon on that one...

Really?
It's curious then, that we don't regularly see Dredd with his helmet off then, isn't it? It's almost like it's part of the character that he doesn't have a face.
Of course, there is every possibility that Cannon is correct and folks like John Wagner should just 'grow up'.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 10 February, 2011, 01:08:35 AM

And you think these film makers actually give a shit about the Dredd fans?

If they did they would make the Lawmaster look like the Lawmaster.

They, like every other film maker only give a shit about the amount of money they can make, don't for a second think this film is being made for fans of Dredd.

No they don't give a shit about fans and shouldn't need to  but if you think the people involved in the making of this film don't give a shit about Dredd ie Garland, Rebellion, Jock, designers and fabricators etc  well I think you're mistaken. I'd say it's been a struggle to get this far again with Dredd and the fact that it seems to still be as close to the source as it is, is not something that is easily dismissed as you have done. Dismissing the intention entire production because they didn't make the bike as it looks in the comic is unrealistic for a production so small.

Your last statement about every film-maker being only interested in making money is rather naive and sweeping, did Raimi, Nolan or even Aronofsky or Singer et al only make comic book films to make money? I doubt it. Films have to make money, yes, it's a necessity just like in comics or any other medium and many peripheral companies involved in the process are there for that reason but if Rebellion/DNA wanted to do that solely they certainly wouldn't be making another difficult risky film like Dredd, an all ready tainted brand.

That Captain America film looks rather on-the-money too, it's a shame they don't really care about the source.

radiator

QuoteAnd you think these film makers actually give a shit about the Dredd fans?

If they did they would make the Lawmaster look like the Lawmaster.

They, like every other film maker only give a shit about the amount of money they can make, don't for a second think this film is being made for fans of Dredd.

Also, I don't really think Dredd is all about keeping his helmet on.

Well Alex Garland, who is writing and producing the movie is an old-school 2000ad fan and they hired John Wagner as a consultant - who has said that he was surprised during his set visit to find just how many Dredd fans are working on the movie. Obviously the overall purpose is to make money, but from the sounds of it I'd say that there is a definite desire to please the fans of the comics. They have their own reasons for tweaking the look of the world.

QuoteI'm inclined to agree with Dany Cannon on that one... and Dredd's face has been seen many times in the comic (heres a pic of Fargo, Dredd is a clone of Fargo so Dredd looks like this.... and thats not to mention the views of Dredds actual face) so to say it's impossible it could happen is just plain wrong.

That story (Dredd Angel) was drawn before the idea that Dredd was a clone of Fargo was introduced to the strip, so it's neither here nor there - the fact that we see Fargo's face doesn't mean anything.

dweezil2

As much as the Stallone Dredd film is a guilty pleasure of mine, the leotard "body armour" looks unlikely to stop a spud gun, let alone a bullet.
And on that level the new uniform is far more successful.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Beeks

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 February, 2011, 07:30:10 AM
Of course, there is every possibility that Cannon is correct and folks like John Wagner should just 'grow up'.

:D  ;)
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Dandontdare

To answer your question, NO, I'm looking at some completely different photos.

Hurr hurr hurr....

Grimmyx22

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 February, 2011, 10:35:31 AM
To answer your question, NO, I'm looking at some completely different photos.

Hurr hurr hurr....
:lol:

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 09 February, 2011, 11:53:54 PM
I also don't by the 'the uniform is like Esquerras original design...'

Apart from a smaller shoulder pad it's not at all like it.

The armour, the helmet (very much a modern take on it), the badge, the neck guard, no chain on badge... all different.

Apart from the colours and the smaller pad you can't really say it's like early designs at all... IMO.

Much closer than the Stallone version. Obviously there are differences but they have been made for real life believability.

I'm glad they went for the original Ezquerra design which is at the end of the day more practical in look than the American football shoulder pads that most artist give Dredd nowadays.

Grimmyx22

I think the uniform is the right way to go, not made my mind up about the lawmaster yet. But i would have loved to see the old mk1 lawgiver come out to play. I never liked the mk2 anyway, too generic. It looks a lot like the gun from 'that' movie as well. Shame.

Mudcrab

Quote from: radiator on 10 February, 2011, 09:14:39 AM
That story (Dredd Angel) was drawn before the idea that Dredd was a clone of Fargo was introduced to the strip, so it's neither here nor there - the fact that we see Fargo's face doesn't mean anything.

Interesting point. Also, isn't that very much a Ron Smith portait of John Wagner? Looks like it could be from what I've seen of him and particularly when he was drawn by Cam Kennedy in some Xmas Dredd. Can't remember exactly when, just remember him being in it.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

radiator

QuoteI think the uniform is the right way to go, not made my mind up about the lawmaster yet. But i would have loved to see the old mk1 lawgiver come out to play.

The MkI is too puny looking - only a couple of artists could draw it so it looked cool - McMahon and Ezquerra off the top of my head. A literal take on the MkI would just look silly on screen imo.

Re: the new movie lawgiver, I think it looks pretty nifty, and it actually doesn't look a million miles away from how some artists are drawing it these days imo...

Judge Cassidy

I too would have preferred to see the Mk1, much better gun...would look great beefed up for the big screen.

Seriously though, the new bike makes Street Hawk look like a Harley Davidson....
In this city, Justice comes at a price- that price is FREEDOM!

vzzbux

Quote from: Judge Cassidy on 10 February, 2011, 06:40:44 PM

Seriously though, the new bike makes Street Hawk look like a Harley Davidson....

Are you serious?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mogzilla

think back to days of yore and olde stuffe when armies dressed in bright crimson and marched slowly in long lines then imagine the radical idea of if we didnt do that and wore dusty coloured clothes we might not get shot as much.
  then think back 30 odd years ago when whilst basking in the spanish sunshine a young buck of a squirrel was designing a future cop character if hed been created now would it not be sensible to design a uniform that allowed freedom of movement and protection? with so many variations of body/riot/tactical armour out there would it not be feasible that dredd might be made to look like he does for the film?

no,its not like the comic exactly but neither is ths comic, compare a bolland to a ewins/macarthy a macmahon to a hinkleton as to the stallone version ,i didnt mind the helmet too much or the shoulder bits as they made sense how they fit on him but as previous posters have said they came off as soon as he could because big fucking spanish pirate shoulder pads would get in the way ...the movie dredd is spot on to the original vision small shoulder pads and all and i dont mind the chain gone, that was more a punk inspired thing anyway and i suspect would not pass a risk assesment in these modern times.

the bike is another thing altogether,i think soapy has sated on more than one occasion that it gets hardly any screen time and since mike has hinted the tyres are fat im thinking the fromt bit isnt as flat as the piss poor picture shows maybe itll flare out more at the front giving a big imposing look as the guns are clearly tucked under the housing.

There are a lot of trolls appearing on this forum who claim to be fans but all they post is negative bollocks . please go back home, your mums are waiting with your jim jams .