Main Menu

Prog 1829 - The Beast Unleashed!

Started by JamesC, 20 April, 2013, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Very good read, this weeks prog.
Cover: gorgeous as ever, if a little hard to scan.
Dredd: really enjoyed this. Like to see more from both new talents involved.
Dandridge: my weakest thrill of the week, but not terrible by any means.
3thriller: I agree with what'd been said, really. Lovely little self-contained story.
Zombo: Just.....amazing. Genuinely laughed out loud at the got getting hit with his own ARM. My daughter and I do this all the time ("why are you hitting yourself?!") Without ripping the armactually OFF, though... ;p
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Proudhuff

Thought the cover missed the target a wee bit: Stickleback vs TRex? that should have been a corker

A sound Prog all round, so Dredd came back, what about the missing four hundred? shirley they wouldn't be missing any more but back in the sameway Dredd was?

Danbridge had a nice twist, but I disliked the Videoslot stuff in it

Zombo is wonderful madness,

Ghostship was all a bit too space opera for me

Stickleback: fine stuff, the action was a bit confused but that's maybe just me in my dotage

Already I'm not liking Gunheadz, yawn. Can we please get past the whole sixties ditko whatever art worship? I saw all this before in the 90s and it all ended horribly with full page one off knowing nods from the likes of Shakey Kane and Co and the detah of Deadlines etc, lets not follow that route.

On a positive the Long Hard Road second issue is out now or so the Nervey Centre says...

DDT did a job on me

Mister Macheath

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 April, 2013, 10:49:02 AMDredd came back, what about the missing four hundred? shirley they wouldn't be missing any more but back in the sameway Dredd was?

There's definitely some wonky science in the Dredd tale. Arguably for the brief time he didn't exist, MC1 would have been a very different place considering he has shaped major events in the city (and globally) for the past 40 odd years.

Entirely possible that Chaos Day would never have happened, or played out differently, meaning the cult with the Jinn would never have even existed and ARGHHH MY BRAIN.

Yeah, maybe better just to let all that slide and enjoy the story for what it was!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Macheath on 22 April, 2013, 11:06:01 AM
There's definitely some wonky science in the Dredd tale. Arguably for the brief time he didn't exist, MC1 would have been a very different place considering he has shaped major events in the city (and globally) for the past 40 odd years.

No — it's explicitly stated in the current episode that the Jinn doesn't erase the victims from the timeline, but that it actively erases all recollection and record of the victim when it consumes them.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mister Macheath

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 April, 2013, 11:24:43 AM
Quote from: Mister Macheath on 22 April, 2013, 11:06:01 AM

No — it's explicitly stated in the current episode that the Jinn doesn't erase the victims from the timeline, but that it actively erases all recollection and record of the victim when it consumes them.

Cheers

Jim

Ah, my bad! Thanks Jim, must've glossed over that bit. Either way, enjoyed the tale.

Cactus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 April, 2013, 10:49:02 AMA sound Prog all round, so Dredd came back, what about the missing four hundred? shirley they wouldn't be missing any more but back in the sameway Dredd was?

I don't have my prog to hand but near the end don't they mention a sudden increase in missing persons calls from cits who have just remembered?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Cactus on 22 April, 2013, 12:06:59 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 April, 2013, 10:49:02 AMA sound Prog all round, so Dredd came back, what about the missing four hundred? shirley they wouldn't be missing any more but back in the sameway Dredd was?

I don't have my prog to hand but near the end don't they mention a sudden increase in missing persons calls from cits who have just remembered?

Quite right. The 400 mispers are suddenly remembered by their loved ones, but are still missing if I understand it correctly.

JamesC

Yes but presumably they all re-appeared at the location they were consumed at? Meaning they'll all turn up sooner or later.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JamesC on 22 April, 2013, 01:00:17 PM
Yes but presumably they all re-appeared at the location they were consumed at? Meaning they'll all turn up sooner or later.

Well Dredd did!
DDT did a job on me

Cactus

Quite a few must be in the room where Hamida was at the time, no? That's an easy boost to the clear-up rates!
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

McNulty

Dredd: I must have missed something in Dredd. [spoiler]I thought that the creature erased people from reality when it absorbed them. But then surely all the actions and their consequences should have been erased as well. If the creature did erase Dredd, then would Mega City One even exist at all after that?[/spoiler]

Dandridge: A funny ending to this week's episode.

Zombo: I'll admit I wasn't entirely happy with last week's episode. I found it hard to see [spoiler]a woman's head torn from her shoulders.[/spoiler] However, I was a bit more pleased with this week's offering [spoiler]Ringo saves the day and the true Zombo is back![/spoiler]

3rillers: Ends on a high. A good story with great art and a satisfying conclusion.

Stickleback: [spoiler]Who amongst us didn't see the Jeckle and Hyde parody coming.[/spoiler] I think every episode in this story has alluded to Stickleback being something that he is not anymore.

Dandontdare

Quote from: McNulty on 23 April, 2013, 09:26:17 PM
Dredd: I must have missed something in Dredd. [spoiler]I thought that the creature erased people from reality when it absorbed them. But then surely all the actions and their consequences should have been erased as well. If the creature did erase Dredd, then would Mega City One even exist at all after that?[/spoiler]

asked and answered above!

ChickenStu

Only had the chance to look at the Dredd story so far. Not sure if I like the [spoiler]it was all just a dream[/spoiler] ending... unless I misunderstood it and need to re-read it. I'll let you guys be the judge (heh) of that...
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Mister Macheath

Quote from: ChickenStu on 24 April, 2013, 09:25:13 AM
Not sure if I like the [spoiler]it was all just a dream[/spoiler] ending

I thought it was more that, in short, Hamida [spoiler]used her gnarly psychic skills to bring Dredd - and the rest - back into existence/peoples' memories[/spoiler]. Perhaps predictable, but I thought the fact that she compared it to [spoiler]extrapolating data[/spoiler] was kinda cool.

Well, maybe that's not the most accurate way to put it, but I don't have the prog to hand.

Mikey

Superb cover again from D'Israeli - arresting, intriguing and just brilliant in my book.

Dredd wrapped up well. This was a great introduction to Hamida who I hope will be back soon, and for me definitely one of the more successful Psi stories. Good stuff people!

Dandridge, despite some cliché with the overbearing mother schtick, it manages to pull it off well. It fits the tone of the story and it was a good finish with the coppers going mental. Overall Dandridge feels like a Saturday tea time show and I mean that in the best possible way. Not overly engaging but totally entertaining.

Ghostship Mathmatica ended really well I thought. It really was a superb little yarn and I would really prefer if it was left alone - one of it's joys was the brief nature of this engaging story. Just like good short prose fiction it took it's idea, gave you what you needed for background then got on with it.  I'd much rather see more strips from the creative team. Excellent!

Zombo was brilliant. I really don't know what is wrong with Ewing and Flint, but it keeps me coming back for more. That big crazy thing The Scarabs did - I could not make head nor tail of it, which is precisely as it should be. Makes me laugh and makes me happy to see such verve in a comic strip. [spoiler]And he's back to'normal'![/spoiler]

Stickleback is bloody brilliant an all! Nothing more to add but give me more. Consistently a fun read and so beautifully drawn. Supoib!

Thanks Tharg. I'm sated for thrills right now.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.