Main Menu

Prog 1829 - The Beast Unleashed!

Started by JamesC, 20 April, 2013, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Cover - I'm not sure about this one. I can't quite work out the anatomy of the monster. I think there's a bit too much empty black space too.

Dredd - A satisfying end to this creepy Dredd tale. I definitely like to see more of Paul Davidson's art in the prog.

Dandridge - As fun as ever although it feels like this should perhaps have been the last episode.

3riller - LOVED IT. The art is really brilliant and this has been the best thing in the prog for the last three weeks. I'd really like to see this story continued - I'm sure there's plenty of scope for more stories with these characters.

I skipped Zombo and Stickleback. Neither of these strips have been doing it for me I'm afraid.

A solid prog overall. I don't mind Zombo and Stickleback being included as I know they're both quality strips, they're just not my cup of tea. Looking forward to the new Dredd story next week.

Mabs

Glad to hear you liked Ghostship Mathematica, JamesC! I've also been taken to it since it started, it's just such a gorgeous tale with some really colourful characters, and of course Inaki Miranda's artwork is sublime. Can't wait to get my hands on the Prog come Wednesday!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Good Prog this week I thought.

A good ending to a really top class Dredd. A cool villain, interesting supporting characters, amusing hard Dredd, one panel that says more about the impact of the Chaos bug than anything that's gone before and a talented new artist. Let's have more from this droid please Tharg.

I'll need to go back and give Ghostship Mathematica a reread as I wasn't blown away by the first couple of episodes but really liked this closer. I like how the art on this has been significantly different from the same team's recent Dredd. 

After commenting on last week's thread that the Beatles had killed off some of my enjoyment of Zombo I have to backtrack and say that this episode was a stonking return to form. It's really hard to say why it works one week and not the next.

Dandridge and Stickleback are both decent but not really blowing me away. The former is certainly better paced week on week but I imagine both will benefit from the inevitable readthrough.
We never really die.

JUDGE BURNS

I thought this weeks prog was , overall, a bit bland.

I'm not one for black and white covers ( its by D'israeli this week ), much prefer coloured.

A wee bit of a dissapointing fianle`to the Dredd story, Suicide Watch. I thought this would go on a bit longer.

The rest of the prog I am not too bothered about. I'm not enjoying these other stories much at all.
Looking forward to some new stories next week.

Maybe I am expecting too much in my old age  :)

Cactus

Considering the strap line I find it ironic that there's no letters page.  :lol:

I thought Suicide Watch was a great little tale with a satisfying conclusion. Hamida is a welcome original character to Dredd's supporting cast.

Zombo was ace (as it always is for me) and this week's twist/cliffhanger should please a few squaxx.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Hawkmumbler

Quick summise as I off to a party but really enjoyed this weeks prog, 4 greats and one meh.

This really is a lovely cover btw. Love the Dr.Jekylsarous feel to it.

Dredd has been on top form, Davidson is more than welcome to make a return.
Dandridge is still ticking along nicely.
This 3riller hasn't been for me. I just found characters so bland and unoriginal I just couldn't get into it, the unfathomable time jumps also took me out of it. Miranda's art has been lovely to look at though.
Stickleback is just what the doctor ordered and i'm loving every second of this series. It's moving along at a pace i feel i can follow and is providing some of my faveroute moments in the prog so far this year.
Zombo truely is a tour de force of awsome. Several other laugh out loud moments this week.

Tjm86

glad to see I'm not the only one not too fussed on Thr3llers.  Ok but ...  Not a great fan of Dandridge but enjoyed this one.  Was it just fortuitous timing that the prog ran the same week as the funeral?  Or am I reading too much into the 'Wailing Woman Wasted!'?

Reading Zombo to the tune definitely gives it the spin it needed.  Doesn't always scan perfectly but it's a close second to "Leprosy"  (although I have to be careful getting near the second verse).

Disappointing to see Dredd ending so soon as well.  After last week's twist (which was superbly built up) this wrapped up a bit too soon for me.  Off now to enjoy more of Marshall Law.

Colin YNWA

Well I asked for a show me don't tell me episode of Stickleback and by crikey that's just what I got and good fun it was too. So with that step up in form and the Dredd ending really nicely we're already ahead of last week. So where do we go from there. Well Dandridge continues to be better than I can remember, so we're all good there. leaving the stars of the show holding the fate of the Prog in their hands. Can they possibly be as good as they were last week?

YES THEY BLOODY WELL CAN - HOOORRRRAAAAHHHHHH - Result.

Zombo is just superb. I have a wonky version of Yellow Submarine that has so invaded my head that I can never quite hear the original and not think its wrong (Just sing 'We all live all aboard the Yellow Submarine" instead of the correct lyrics and repeat 4 times rather than 3. I find it strangely hilarious.) I think from here on in that may well be cured. I bloody love what Zombo is doing right now and to top it all[spoiler] Zombo is back proper too[/spoiler], dialogue and all.

Ghostship Mathmatica is once again just genius. It does go kinda the way I expected, though the specifics I hadn't even tried to guess. That means its over and I guess it needs to stay over. That makes me so happy and so sad at the same time. Such bold and imaginative storytelling, executed so well in just 15 pages (I think), telling a complete, self contained story and a final line that puts such a full stop on things that unless there's a stroke of genius to come it doesn't deserve a return. In the best possible sense...

... though if it'll take a stroke of genius to bring it back successfully, what have David Baille and Inaki Miranda (with Eva De La Cruz, should under estimate how great the colours were and how much they added to the tone and Annie Parkhouse.) just given us if not a stroke of genius, so never say never.

JamesC

I think there's so much scope to continue Mathmatica.
it could go any number of ways. I'd like to see what happens on Earth but equally I'd like to see more of the universe that has been created. Maybe more adventures from people who were in the bar in episode 1. Maybe even a prequel featuring the original human crew of the Mathmatica.

Whatever happens it does feel as though Rennie is sowing the seeds for further paid work in his most recent stories with Emma Beeby!
We have an interesting new Judge in the Dredd strip, a great universe to explore in Mathmatica and an inter dimensional sitcom from the previous 3riller. I've been a big fan of all these strips and would welcome more from any of them. Long live the prolific Rennie/Beeby team!

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: JamesC on 20 April, 2013, 07:45:11 PM
Whatever happens it does feel as though Rennie is sowing the seeds for further paid work in his most recent stories with Emma Beeby!
We have an interesting new Judge in the Dredd strip, a great universe to explore in Mathmatica and an inter dimensional sitcom from the previous 3riller. I've been a big fan of all these strips and would welcome more from any of them. Long live the prolific Rennie/Beeby team!

Except Rennie/Beeby had nothing to do with Ghostship Mathmatica. It was written by David Baillie and drawn by Inaki Miranda.

JamesC

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 20 April, 2013, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 20 April, 2013, 07:45:11 PM

Except Rennie/Beeby had nothing to do with Ghostship Mathmatica. It was written by David Baillie and drawn by Inaki Miranda.

Well bugger me! For some reason I was convinced it was written by Rennie/Beeby. I don't know how that happened but apologies and congratulations to David Baillie on a fine piece of work!

Mister Macheath

This week's cover doesn't really do much for me. I love D'Israeli's coloured work but the monotone just doesn't scan as well for me, especially in an action shot like this. It takes that millisecond longer to work out what is happening, enough time to lose the kinetic oomph needed.

Dredd got off to a great start with some fast paced heart-thumping action, but for me lost it a bit with Hamida's monologue to the Jinn. Should've been captions rather than speech bubbles IMHO. Also wrapped up a bit too quickly and neatly for my liking, but still a cool episode. Hope to see more from both the writing team and the artist, but really hope those shoulder pads get, um, treated with the gravity they deserve.

As I said last week, Dandridge is pretty much losing me. The vertebrae pogo-ing in particular made me cringe, but I did get a chuckle out of Shelley's cock up, and also the idea of a [spoiler]Radio Times[/spoiler] as murder weapon.

Zombo was really going good guns this week and I pissed myself at the Weegie-Lennon calling himself a 'wee grey joabbie'. Fantastically trippy double page spread, and BRILLIANT to see [spoiler]the real Zombo[/spoiler] back at last.

A personal highlight was The Ghostship Mathematica. Just such a gorgeous little vignette. I'd said before that I doubted I'd want to see it back, preferring a different Bailie/Miranda collab, but I have to take that back a wee bit, I think it could be done. Wouldn't want to see it forced though, and a different full length tale from the same team would be even better. Please, something like this and not more Survival Geeks!

Stickleback was what it was... not exactly overloading my thrill receptors but again it trucked along nicely and the hefty dollop of action was quite welcome. Still, will be glad to see the back of it to be quite frank.

All in all, pretty good stuff.

Hawkmumbler

I seriously can't believe i'm the only one who considers Stickleback "Thrill of the week" material. It's freaking ace at the moment!

dweezil2

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 April, 2013, 08:01:00 PM
I seriously can't believe i'm the only one who considers Stickleback "Thrill of the week" material. It's freaking ace at the moment!

Maybe not my thrill of the week, but I'm enjoying Stickleback immensely too!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: dweezil2 on 21 April, 2013, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 April, 2013, 08:01:00 PM

Maybe not my thrill of the week, but I'm enjoying Stickleback immensely too!

The story seems routine Edginton so far, but the artwork elevates it to something extraordinary.