Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

What can I say, the sternHAMMER misdirection worked - Wagner = master magician!

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2019, 07:54:43 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 26 July, 2019, 05:30:13 PM
Strontium DOG Johnny Alpha(got that one)'s partner WULF Sternhammer

Oh FFS.

JayzusB.Christ

Shaky Kane. Chaka Khan.  Probably unintentional but it just crossed my mind today (and i spent the next hour with an earworm consisting of 'Shaky Kane' sung repeatedly in disco stylee).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 August, 2019, 10:12:12 PM
Shaky Kane. Chaka Khan.  Probably unintentional but it just crossed my mind today (and i spent the next hour with an earworm consisting of 'Shaky Kane' sung repeatedly in disco stylee).
Seems a bit of a stretch, but I'm too Scotch to get some English puns.

You know about GBH (dead) though?
We never really die.

Dandontdare

M.I.K.

I kind o' always assumed Shaky Kane was indeed a pun on Chaka Khan, while simultaneously being a (probably self-deprecating) reference to Bob Kane, with added possibility of intention to conjure up a mental image of a stick-brandishing codger.

...and maybe Shakin' Stevens.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 August, 2019, 11:42:47 PM
ummm .. no?

If this was a reply to me sorry for the delay. I was hoping Frank would swoop in with an appropriate scan.

GBH (Dead) was an exiled Sha'Ka'Kan warrior.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

haha no, that one DID go over my head.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: I, Cosh on 07 August, 2019, 09:51:53 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 August, 2019, 11:42:47 PM
ummm .. no?

If this was a reply to me sorry for the delay. I was hoping Frank would swoop in with an appropriate scan.

GBH (Dead) was an exiled Sha'Ka'Kan warrior.

I actually got that one, for once.  Just thinking about GBH (Dead) yesterday. What a great character.  Hard as nails, crazy-looking, with the voice of an old English aristocrat.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

I was going to observe that GBH (Dead) must be one of the most unique comics character designs, but then I realised that could apply to the entire crew of the Speedo Ghost.

T.B. Grover and the Maestro, a neutron star collision of pure creation.

JayzusB.Christ

I've just remembered that I'm friends with Shaky on Facebook, or I was last time I checked. I'll ask him about the chaka khan thing.

Steve Green

The unfortunate lab assistant in the DNA man is called Beaker after the muppet.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 August, 2019, 09:27:25 AM
The unfortunate lab assistant in the DNA man is called Beaker after the muppet.

Anyone would think you'd been listening to the latest Space Spinner 2000!

Steve Green

Frank

Who exactly was Moore talking to in the Northampton Arts Lab?

Glass shattered high above Seventh Avenue in Manhattan before dawn on a cold November morning in 1953. Seconds later, a body hit the sidewalk.

The night manager peered up through the darkness at his hulking hotel. After a few moments, he picked out a curtain flapping through an open window. Police officers entered room 1018A with guns drawn. They saw no one. The window was open.

Decades later, spectacular revelations cast the death in a completely new light. The victim was disturbed about his work with the CIA and wanted to quit, leading his comrades to consider him a security risk. This was no light matter for men who believed that the success or failure of project MK-Ultra might determine the fate of the US, and all humanity.

A Netflix series, Wormwood, covers this story from the point of view from Olson's family.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2019, 03:12:41 PMWho exactly was Moore talking to in the Northampton Arts Lab?

A Netflix series, Wormwood, covers this story from the point of view from Olson's family.

The Olson tale first got into the mainstream via the original source book for these stories Operation Mind Control (1978) by Walter Bowart. Another referred to in the book was the story of Candy Jones who cliamed to be a victim of the same programme – David Fincher was trying to get it made into a film at one point.