Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2019, 08:03:21 PM
Good job it's a sci-fi entertainment then, rather than ... well,  I'm not sure what else you would be worried about?

Yes, I am a little bit harsh on her character. I do not mind her as part of the science team but find her insecurity dealing  with the captains frustrating. I always had some issues with certain aspects of the Trek world but I would rather have that then not Trek at all. I really like Discovery and will continue  to watch the show  :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed that but it threw a bit too much at me all at once. Parasitic fungus, Spock backstory, Klingon politics, and [spoiler]Section 31[/spoiler] all packed into 45 minutes!

I may be backtracking here but I also think the gore is completely misjudged now. [spoiler]A baby's head! FFS[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 February, 2019, 01:25:21 PM
I may be backtracking here but I also think the gore is completely misjudged now. [spoiler]A baby's head! FFS[/spoiler]

I agree completely. Somewhat taken aback that discussion of this episode seems to have largely focussed on the varying degrees to which people find Tilly annoying and no one saying [spoiler]"Decapitated babies? Isn't that a bit much?"[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, that was deeply unsettling - especially for Star Trek.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

It was only a Klingon [spoiler]baby[/spoiler].

[/deep sarcasm]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Only an [spoiler]artificial[/spoiler] Klingon [spoiler]baby[/spoiler]. [/deep sarcastic pedantry]
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

wedgeski

Episode 3 was all over the place, and absolutely macabre in one (already mentioned) scene. I enjoyed it as always, but it felt ramshackle compared to what has come before.

I love Tilly, any episode which features her heavily is going to score points. Still, it annoys me when characters who have experienced so much tangible weirdness (alternate universes, galaxy-hopping mushroom dimensions) hide ultra-weird goings-on from their shipmates until there is no option but to tell them. Tilly's deep anxiety sort of gives it a pass this time around.

Hoping for a return to form next week.

Theblazeuk

I wonder if, as a child of the 90s, the difference between TOS technology and Discovery isn't so jarring because TOS technology was already really dated beyond the big things. TNG and DS9 still holds up fairly well due to the big light board touchscreens.

Anywho. Enjoyed a Klingon-focused episode far more than I ever thought possible, and boy they are real ugly. Good. I could never take them seriously.

Robin Low

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 04 February, 2019, 05:04:20 PM
I wonder if, as a child of the 90s, the difference between TOS technology and Discovery isn't so jarring because TOS technology was already really dated beyond the big things. TNG and DS9 still holds up fairly well due to the big light board touchscreens.

The frustrating thing about Discovery is that most of the things that irritate me could have easily been resolved just by setting the story 50 or more years after Nemesis. The technology would have been fine, the Klingons could have credibly had a falling out with the Federation, and they might even have started buggering about with their genetics again, explaining why they look different. Obviously, that would cost them the whole Sarek/Spock/Michael stuff, but I reckon they could have fudged some similar connection to TNG/DS9/V.

Enjoyed episodes 2 and 3 though.

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 February, 2019, 08:54:37 AM
warp drive and transporters aside, the tech we have NOW is beyond TOS

- Apart from warp drive and transporters, what has TOS ever done for us?

- Phasers.

- Oh yeah, yeah they gave us those. Yeah. That's true.

- Artificial gravity.

- Oh yes... artificial gravity, Reg, you remember what it used to be like.

- All right, I'll grant you that phasers and artificial gravity are two things that TOS has that we don't have...

- And tractor beams...

- Well yes obviously the tractor beams... the tractor beams go without saying. But apart from the phasers, the artificial gravity and the tractor beams...

- Tricorders ... Cloaking devices... A global utopia... Deflector shields...

- Yes... all right, fair enough...

- And the Klingon wine!

etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

I've no idea if they plan to reconcile the augmented robotic humans in this with TOS Pike being in a cocoon wheelchair that can only "Beep once for Yes!" but it would be fun watching them try.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 February, 2019, 07:54:49 AM
I've no idea if they plan to reconcile the augmented robotic humans in this with TOS Pike being in a cocoon wheelchair that can only "Beep once for Yes!" but it would be fun watching them try.
That's easy: space flu.
We never really die.

blackmocco

Enjoying season 2 so far. The biggest shortcoming to me is the shortened season length, as with season 1. There are elements of the story I wish had a little more time to breathe. 13 (well, 14 now) episodes instead of 22 means the show feels like it's throwing plot points at you pretty quick and it can all feel a little crammed in.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JamesC

Well I enjoyed the latest episode but it was all over the place.
It was fun to see the classic 'spaceship confronted by big weird thing they don't understand' scenario but I could have done without the Saru sub-plot.
The thing with Tilly and the mushroom-verse is getting a bit old too.
Overall I'm still enjoying the series but it feels somehow less satisfying than series 1. I think it's perhaps because last series felt very fresh and kept the audience guessing. We know the status quo now though and this is in some strange no mans land between the last series of Discovery and the Trek of old.