Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Okay, I picked up Slaine volume 2 today.  I haven't opened the seal, but is it me or is there something that feels 'different' about this book.  I'm not sure if it feels thinner or what.  Then again I've not been feeling too well the last few days so it's maybe just that.

I remember some time ago during the Dredd collection someone commenting that these books were expensive, but I remember looking at the prices of say, Star Wars graphic novels, which if sold at their RRP could easily be £14-16 minimum, for a softcover with less content.  In retrospect, for a hardcover book I think these are very good value.  And for the content that was out of print it was cheaper than paying what some people on Ebay were asking.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Anyone arguing ten quid for a hardcover 200–250 page trade is expensive is nuts

leethomson

Especially considering that Rebellion usually charge far more for paperbacks with much smaller page counts.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 August, 2018, 10:29:33 PM
Anyone arguing ten quid for a hardcover 200–250 page trade is expensive is nuts

Indeed, the Star Wars Mara Jade graphic novel I mentioned as an example is 144 pages, softcover and now costs £16.99 new, it cost £11.99 when first released in 1999.  Compared to the 2000ad and Dredd books that is fairly expensive.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

barnesy

Really enjoying the collection and only got around to reading Nemesis Volume Three earlier this week.
(Have a new baby in the house and a new project in work so time is short unfortunately.)

Was just wondering what everyone thinks will be covered in Volume Four?
I apologise if this has already been covered ad nauseum earlier in the topic posts.
It would seem that there is justBook Ten and some one offs. Will it still fill the page quote of these hardcovers?

Southstreeter

I seem to recall about a 10 year gap between Nemesis books 9 and 10. Every few years there would be a filler story to remind us what was going on and set up the finale. Presume it'll be these, and maybe the Deadlock solo as an epilogue?

The Monarch

if i had to guess hammer of warlocks, book x the final conflict, the deadlock solo series and tubular hells

abelardsnazz

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 August, 2018, 05:57:53 AM
if i had to guess hammer of warlocks, book x the final conflict, the deadlock solo series and tubular hells

Hoping for the Diceman strips too, Bryan Talbot's work on The Garden of Alien Delights is amazing.

sintec

I think I may have a problem.  After some lurking on ebay I've got about 2000 more pages of Dredd on it's way to add to the 6 books I bought last month.  Not quite sure where I'm going to put it all but I can't wait to start reading it.  Still desparately hunting for copies of The Dead Man, Democracy Now and Mutants Of Mega City One which seem to be tricky to find at the moment.  I'm guessing these are unlikely to get reprinted at this point so I will just have to cross my fingers and keep refreshing ebay :(

IndigoPrime

Democracy Now is on eBay right now for eight quid plus postage. TDM is available from a few people, albeit at a 15 quid minimum. Mutants... is seemingly currently gouge-only, however – someone selling for 50(!) quid.

One thing: keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace. People are starting to sell off Dredd collection books there too.

sintec

Don't know how I'd missed that copy of Democracy Now - grabbed it cheers.

£15 a copy is slightly more than I'm willing to pay right now and yeah £50 is just taking the piss.

Haven't tried the FB marketplace - will have a trawl through there.

Richard

I think they'd have to include the Diceman strips in the last Nemesis volume, because Book X and Deadlock aren't enough to fill a volume. Or maybe Nemesis and Deadlock.

If there's going to be a volume of one-off stories then I hope they include Bryan Talbot's Menento from New Year Prog 2002.

Dark Jimbo

Besides Hammer of Warlocks, Book X and the Deadlock epilogue, there's...

A Day In The Death Of Torquemada - 2000ad Annual 1984
Torture Tube - Diceman 1
The Garden Of Alien Delights - Diceman 3
Forbidden Planet - 2000ad Sci-Fi Special 1987
Torquemada's Second Honeymoon - 2000ad Annual 1988
Tomb of Torquemada - Nemesis Poster Prog
Warlocks and Wizards - Prog 700
The Enigmass Variations - Progs 723-729
Tubular Hells - Prog 2000

...yet to make an appearance in the Ultimate collection.
@jamesfeistdraws

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Slaine volume 2, as following some great dragon art from Massimo, Time Killer pulls out all the stops and just goes for it. Tremendous fun.

sintec

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 22 August, 2018, 09:14:53 PM
great dragon art from Massimo

Massimo and dragons, I'm practically drooling in anticipation.  The post man can't get here soon enough.