Main Menu

2000AD 40th Anniversary - 11th Feb 2017 - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Well, we made the trek over from Norway (making a long weekend of it) and I got instructions to go off and be a nerd for the day.  Which I duly did, and then some.  It was great to meet up with a few boarders during the course of the day and a wonderful opportunity to say hello (and a big Thank You) to various contributors to Project Sketchbook.  I'd had one book sent back to me just before the event and two more materialised with artists on the day so I was lucky enough to see these first-hand for the first time since I sent them out over four years ago.  Wandering about with three of the four books and letting the artists see what everyone else has been up to was a real treat.

Super-special thanks to Simon Coleby for burning the midnight oil before the big event; that Mean Machine went down very well with everyone who laid eyes on it (and it's a beautiful bit of work)!

Congrats (and a big thank you!) to everyone involved in putting this together - a roaring success.  Everyone I spoke to (creators and fans alike) seemed to have had a great day and I know more than a few of us hope something similar occurs again before too long - the celebratory atmosphere of the 40th event was too good to ignore; more of this kind of thing, please*!

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 February, 2017, 11:29:10 AMDespite a minor episode of croissant larceny early in the day I....

That was hilarious - you should've just grabbed the whole tray and run off.

* Next time, arrange for a tea trolley or something to feed and water the creators, maybe?  Some people put in many hours behind those tables without a break and poor Cam Kennedy looked completely knackered by the end of his signing / sketching stint.

Dandontdare

Quote from: ming on 14 February, 2017, 12:28:18 PM
... a wonderful opportunity to say hello (and a big Thank You) to various contributors to Project Sketchbook.  I'd had one book sent back to me just before the event and two more materialised with artists on the day so I was lucky enough to see these first-hand for the first time since I sent them out over four years ago.  Wandering about with three of the four books and letting the artists see what everyone else has been up to was a real treat.

Indeed - it was great to have a chance to leaf through a couple of these in the bar - some absolutely stunning sketches (despite one or two creators using such heavy markers that they soaked through the next several pages!)

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 February, 2017, 12:24:08 AM
What a day. Was definitely worth missing Mrs Surfer's birthday for. :-X

Well, she shouldn't have her birthday so close to 2000AD's then, should she? ;)

Mikey

Yeah, some truly outstanding stuff in those books. They're already legendary.

But the best bit was when Ming was at Fraser Irving's table having a chat, with two of the books casually left on the table. Naturally, another punter came up to look Fraser's stuff then casually lifted the aforementioned sketchbooks. This somewhat concerned the otherwise calm Ming:

'NO! NO! THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE!' followed by 'Urgh, Medic!' while he stuffed them in his bag, scowling at all and sundry.

The look on your face was pretty priceless mate! :)
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 14 February, 2017, 11:11:45 AM
Had a chat about Anderson and Unfollow while Mike Dowling did this. Now the regret the missed opportunity for the three ages of Cass.

You can get that in a single Anderson story (set in 2139) if you switch the artists a few times :)

ming

Quote from: Mikey on 14 February, 2017, 01:09:11 PMBut the best bit was when Ming was at Fraser Irving's table having a chat, with two of the books casually left on the table. Naturally, another punter came up to look Fraser's stuff then casually lifted the aforementioned sketchbooks. This somewhat concerned the otherwise calm Ming:

'NO! NO! THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE!' followed by 'Urgh, Medic!' while he stuffed them in his bag, scowling at all and sundry.

The look on your face was pretty priceless mate! :)

To be fair, that happened on more than one table, in fact it was pretty much whenever I put them down (which happened less and less as the day went on and my paranoia grew :lol:).  This is why these belong with the artists, not with me.

Albion

I had a zarjaz time at the 40th, can we do it again this weekend?
I got......

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

jacob g

Cuz I'm mostly "panel" guy I haven't spend much time trying to get more sketches for my Field Notes Notebook but at least I finally got Martian Tripod from D'Israeli.

margaritas ante porcos

Geoff

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: AlexF on 14 February, 2017, 09:05:05 AM
Sad that I never did pluck up the courage to talk to Gordon Rennie or David Bishop, and that I failed to identify John Smith (although I may have passed him on the stairs).

You should have done! I don't bite, despite my apparent reputation...

Maybe at the 50th. Talk to you, that is, not the biting.

davidbishop

Satanist

Thanks to all who made this day possible as I had an absolute blast! Great to catch up with loads of folk I know and who I feel like I've known for years. Had way to much to drink so was a bit rough at the con but still managed to soldier on through. I got several sketches but the one below is by far and away my favourite, a Kenny Who from Cam...

also SPOOOOOOOOOON!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 14 February, 2017, 05:11:22 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 14 February, 2017, 09:05:05 AM
Sad that I never did pluck up the courage to talk to Gordon Rennie or David Bishop, and that I failed to identify John Smith (although I may have passed him on the stairs).

You should have done! I don't bite, despite my apparent reputation...

Maybe at the 50th. Talk to you, that is, not the biting.

davidbishop

I talked to you and I can vouch for the fact that you were very nice indeed... I however was very very drunk by that point... I'm sorry...

Magnetica

Just received issues 1 and 2 of Rok of the Reds direct from John Wagner as promised on Saturday (signed as well).

Really looking forward to reading these.

Mikey

Quote from: Satanist on 14 February, 2017, 06:07:51 PM
... a Kenny Who from Cam...

also SPOOOOOOOOOON!

That's superb! You were the dude with the mohawk, yeah? Nice to meet you!

I'm afraid I missed the spoon incident...
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.