Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Possibly.  But don't call me Shirley!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 17 October, 2016, 05:48:08 PM
Id've thought the standard response was "love a duck" which has been shifted to "lay a brick"

See, that's what I thought was so clever about it.  'Love a duck' would have been the obvious gag, given that's what Clarkie is doing, but Wagner and Grant neatly sidestep your expectations.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Ah, fair enough.

I have an embarrassing one which occurred to me while listening to rock radio in someone's car t'other week.

The repeated phrase "That ain't workin'" in the song Money for Nothing by the group Dire Straits does not, in fact, mean "This method is not producing the required outcome." but "No physical effort is required to make a living this way."

To be fair, the former never seemed to make a lot of sense but then neither do 98% of song lyrics. I actually admire the way so many singers are able to belt out a series of non sequiturs without cringing.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 18 October, 2016, 09:22:19 AM
I have an embarrassing one which occurred to me while listening to rock radio in someone's car t'other week.

Yeah, yeah, yeah you say that Mr Rock FM

glassstanley

Nearly 30 years after it was published, I have only just spotted what was special about the logo on Prog 502 (the Christmas Prog). '2000AD featuring Santa Dredd'

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 18 October, 2016, 11:04:28 PM
Nearly 30 years after it was published, I have only just spotted what was special about the logo on Prog 502 (the Christmas Prog). '2000AD featuring Santa Dredd'
I've never noticed that either.  Almost-teenage me must have been distracted by something else on the cover.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 18 October, 2016, 11:13:32 PM
I've never noticed that either.  Almost-teenage me must have been distracted by something else on the cover.

He was a darn sexy Fomorian alright.

Don't think I noticed the Santa Dredd bit either.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 October, 2016, 11:21:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 18 October, 2016, 11:13:32 PM

He was a darn sexy Fomorian alright.

Don't think I noticed the Santa Dredd bit either.

But like all fantasy beefcakes and cheesecakes, spends all his time wandering around really cold places wearing next-to-nothing :-)

A.Cow

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 October, 2016, 05:41:01 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 October, 2016, 01:07:44 PM
A lesser writer would have gone for the more obvious joke.  But Wagner and / or Grant add an extra layer.

I must be thick. What joke am I missing in that panel?

I didn't get it, either.  Had to look it up.  Apparently, in Coronation Street, the character Vera Duckworth made frequent claims that she was (allegedly) related to royalty.

A.Cow

It's not 2000 AD-related, but I only recently realised that The Island of Doctor Moreau's titular character name also reads as "Doc Tomorrow" -- highly appropriate for a science fiction novel commenting on nature vs. nurture, vivisection & evolutionary theory and the consequences of such.

Note: The use of "Doc" as a familiar form or abbreviation for "Doctor" was well-established by the late 1800s, when the book was written.

Colin YNWA

Ha! Never spotted Santa Dredd (the commericalisation of X-Mas is complete. My predictive text replaced Santa with Santander!) I check that when home.

glassstanley

Prog 1704, Dredd - The Skinning Room. Page where the Judges find Riggs. She's been stripped naked & strapped down. Either she's had an ... intimate tattoo or she trims her pubes into the shape of the Justice Dept Eagle.

sheridan

From watching today's episode of QI-XL, I found out that Lobsang Rampant block (from Rumble in the Jungle) was named after fake monk Lobsang Rampa.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The notebook given away recently as a subscriber gift had tweaked art... it had Dredd reading the Law on copyright infringement.
Lock up your spoons!