Main Menu

...LIFE ON MARS, 9pm TONIGHT, THE LAST EVER EPISODE...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 10 April, 2007, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

...i thought the last episode and its revelations deserved its own thread...

...lets hope its not... 'more fake than a trannys fanny!!!'...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Honestly, the number of threads you start on TV programmes ArrisArris...

it's like you've got more fingers in pies than a leper in a pasty factory
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Mike Carroll

Yes! That was GREAT!

Loved the ending... It was a hard one to get right, but they managed it. Best BBC show ever!

-- Mike C

Bart Oliver

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Quirkafleeg

Errr... that was a bit post-modern

("I am the law!")

Wils

A great final episode, ending the whole thing with aplomb rather than something silly (Sam Tyler - Time Cop!), although it *was* a bit strange.

Did the bit with Sam on the roof of the police station in "2007" remind anyone else of the end of Open Your Eyes?

VisibleMan

Stunning, simply stunning.  

*That's* how you make a TV show.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Not sure how to approach that ending. I think it worked well as it twisted at least 3 times and it certainly entertained but..

Morally dubious?

Bolt-01

Well, that was superb. They really kept us guessing right till the end.

Thought they might have ended it with the Shot of Sam staring at us from the roof, but I'm glad they ended it as they did.

"I am the law", indeed!

Bolt-01

The Enigmatic Dr X

My name is Dr X. I watched Life on Mars tonight and when it ended I had no flaming idea what had happened. Was 1973 real? Was he in a coma? One thing is for certain, if someone could explain the ending to me I'd certainly feel a lot less frustrated.
Lock up your spoons!

pauljholden

I have a theory about life on mars and the last episode really confirmed it for me. Essentially, the entire series is a meta commentary on tv; the last episode is a meta-meta-commentary on the commissioning and writing of the thing.

Here's how I see the show: Sam Tyler was trapped, not in his idea of the 70s, but, rather, a 70s tv cop show that his psyche carefully crafted for him (which he lived through but we were watching as an 80s style Glen A. Larson production type thing)

I imagine the writers sat down in the pub, got pissed and had a conversation along the (drunken) lines of:

'Wouldn't it have been brilliant to have been writing for the sweeny in the 70s?'
'Ah, I'd love to have done that - just a bunch of hard as nails coppers battering done doors and being all un-pc'
'Tell you what... why don't we pitch that tomorrow...'
'That's effing brilliant - you're my best mate'
'I love you'

The next morning

'Right lads, I believe you have an idea for me...'
'Yeah. It's the Sweeny'
'The Sweeny? that's a great idea - the modern Sweeny, the flying squad, a police procedural like CSI but british'
'Uhm... no, er... the actual sweeny...'
'No, I don't follow you... the ACTUAL Sweeny?'
'Yeah... uhm... just like it was the 70s.... er...'
'Uhm... yeah... but ... uhm... we... ah... I KNOW I KNOW... we have someone sent back in time to the 70s - a modern copper... yeah, that's it.. is he back in time or in a coma... who knows...'
'Brilliant. I'll have two series please'

The first script meeting...
'So, coma or back in time?'
'How the hell should I know... who cares... it's the sweeny... no, is there one or two Ns in Ponce?'

The end.

The last episode is just how I imagine the writers feel, a kind of 'Well, I suppose we'd better deal with this coma/time travel thing ... ok, there's that resolved ... but wasn't it so much more fun just writing it as the sweeny in the 70s?'

-------

It was a fecking great piece of telly (sometimes a little off, but worth watching and I'm glad I made the time to watch it when it was on)

- pj

COMMANDO FORCES

Sam was in the coma as he knew all the future stuff.
And yes Gene Hunt is the LAW.

Quirkafleeg

If the 70s was all a dream, how come he knew what the surgeon looked like...?

Matt Timson

More to the point, how did he change time and save Maya?

Rubbish.

I liked it a lot- but it was still rubbish.  I was sure that the lady copper who wanted to listen to his tape was going to be Cartwright as an old woman... ah well...
Pffft...