Main Menu

2018 Free comic book day prog signed for charity auction.

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 06 May, 2018, 12:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

A splendid day in that London visiting 3 comic shops, and spending some money in each. And then a meeting of the Southern drinking contingent as well as recording a podcast episode.

So here you go.

The FCBD 2000AD Regened prog signed by all the droids at Orbital comics.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232758940454

Another copy of the FCBD Prog, unsigned this time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232758940921

The Batman Dredd digest edition signed by Simon Bisley and Cam Kennedy.
Kindly donated to the cause by Steve Green.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232758943532

And then a whole bunch of free comic book issues and some other comics I picked up on the day.
Avengers #1
Avengers FCBD
Spider-Man FCBD
DC Nation #0
Action comics #1000
DC Dark Nights Metal #1
The Metabaron FCBD
James Bond FCBD
Bongo Simpsons FCBD
Dark Horse Overwatch FCBD
And Frank Miller's Xerxes #1 and 2. (It's OK, he's not racist now)

Plus the traditional copy of the Morris Minor Matters magazine..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232758952536

All 99p starts, with free P&P, and ALL 100% for cancer research UK.

So make a bid or do some shares please, otherwise I might have to upload THAT picture of Pete Wells and noone wants that.   ;)

Richard

I don't approve. It's not in the spirit of FCBD, which is meant to be about 1) free comics and 2) getting people to visit comic shops. If you want to raise money for charity, you can always run a marathon in a tutu or some shit.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Richard on 06 May, 2018, 03:43:21 PM
If you want to raise money for charity, you can always run a marathon in a tutu or some shit.

Been there, done that, got the Tutu.
Pete keeps asking to borrow it but I can't afford the dry-cleaning bills.
:-\

Tjm86

I'm afraid I have to disagree, Richard.  I get what you are saying but at the same time a visit to a comic shop, especially for a signing, is a major logistical challenge.  Considering that a lot of these events tend to be London / East Coast it can be all but impossible.  The biggest difference is that all of the money goes to charity, rather than the scalpers that are moving in (including one gentleman who has tried rather unsuccessfully to flip a couple of signed progs he had off Eamonn).

Let's face it, at the end of the day these comics are a promotional gimmick on the part of the comics industry to increase sales.  There is pretty much zero altruism there.  I know it is incredibly flippant, but arguably the 'spirit of FCBD' is a bit like drug dealers offering the first hit for free, knowing that once you're hooked, they've got you.

Richard

sheridan

I don't approve. It's not in the spirit of FCBD, which is meant to be about 1) free comics and 2) getting people to visit comic shops. If you want to raise money for charity, you can always run a marathon in a tutu or some shit.

You're seriously criticising somebody for spending their own time and money (time getting to the comic shops and getting comics signed and money paying for post and packaging - not included in the ebay price) to raise money for charity?  What have you done for a good cause lately?

Tjm86

Ah now Sheridan, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, surely?  I mean, some people even think that Theresa May is doing a good job.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 07 May, 2018, 01:26:26 AM

You're seriously criticising somebody for spending their own time and money (time getting to the comic shops and getting comics signed and money paying for post and packaging - not included in the ebay price) to raise money for charity?  What have you done for a good cause lately?

Richard can feel free to correct me, but I think you'll find he had tongue firmly in cheek...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

I read Richards comment as humourous- and I think Eamonn did too.

Richard

I hope he did — if not, sorry if I offended you. I have a penchant for abusive humour and exaggeration.

Tjm86

Which probably explains why the drug dealer reference went down so well!

Eamonn Clarke

It's all fine, we're all fine. The sun's shining and all is well with the world.
I assumed Richard was joking and tongues were in cheeks all round.
For legal reasons I can't say whose cheek mine is in but hey it's all for charidee.  :lol:

Tjm86

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 07 May, 2018, 02:53:03 PM
For legal reasons I can't say whose cheek mine is in ....

Just so long as it is all hygienic and proper precautions have been taken.

Eamonn Clarke

But thanks to everyone who chipped in, and thanks for the help with auctions and the podcast.

Eamonn Clarke

All sold, paid and posted.
With a generous FCBD donation from Buttonman that's £98.57
And a running total of £6689.51 for cancer research.

Thanks all