Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 May, 2017, 06:16:51 PM
You'll know Saul when you meet him :)

I.... see what you mean! I didn't realise he didn't appear until well into season 2. (Actually I didn't realise I was well into season 2 until recently, due to Netflix's style of slapping the next episode up right away.)

I just had a rather slow episode with Walter sorting out the rot in his house, but overall it's pretty good.

And I recognised that  young lady from Jessica Jones, even with the fringe, and without the semi-permanent scowl. Nice to see her doing something rather different (much as I like JJ).

radiator

Master of None season 2 on Netflix.

It's a little unfocused and self-indulgent, and more gently amusing than laugh out loud funny, but a pleasant watch nonetheless. Good stuff.

The Legendary Shark

I've been trying to find where I posted about my love for Star Wars: Rebels but can't so I'll just say here that I've just finished Season Three and found it Awesome. Jim, you were right, Episode 19 was fooking brilliant!

I've also treated myself to most of Clone Wars[/] as well (just Season Six to track down), and this too is superb. I think I prefer these series to most of the actual films - but then I'm weird when it comes to Star Wars, with my favourites being Episodes II and III. (Then V, IV, I, VI, R1 (which dropped like a stone the more times I watched it) and VII, in that order.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Just started on Twin Peaks. Never seen it before but with the new series coming soon I thought it would be a good move to get up to date with it. 

Also watching American Horror Story : Hotel which isn't feeling as good as the other series so far (though it's hard to take something seriously when you stick Lady Gaga in it...shes even credited under her stage name ffs). Saying that the previous series, Freak Show, took some getting used to so maybe I will warm to it yet.

Hawkmumbler

KAMEN RIDER AMAZON

Whilst deciding to take a break from the Ultraverse and still wanting to keep the Tokusatsu train running, I decided to venture across to the Toeiverse with the shortest Kamen Rider series, Amazon. It's a spin on the Tarzan mythos, young child orphaned in the rain forest, taken in by locals/ apes, inherits great power etc etc, what sets this one apart from the rest of the series however is it's tone. Though clearly still marketed at kids the gore factor is ramped up to eleven here as our hero slashes, hacks, bites and decapitates his enemies to death. I mean...

...Look at this shit!...

...How did they get away with this?...

...Well, they didn't, and the fact the cult leader villeins modus opperendi involved ritual sacrifice and cannibalism saw the show quickly wrapped up in the wake of a mass out cry from parents and disillusioned viewers alike, this coming just two months off of the back of the 5th anniversary series X. Which is a real shame, because Amazon is a real curio and a strong entry in the Tokusatsu library, with striking Gothic visuals (when not gushing neon paint goo everywhere), a compelling character arc, NO annoying side characters (a rarity in these kinds of shows) and a kick ass 70's soundtrack. There are by far worse 24 episodes of celluloid out there.

Smith

If you havent,you might want to check out Kamen Rided Ryuki.Its the only KR I watched.

PsychoGoatee

That looks vicious! I'm going to check out that new Amazons show they did recently. My fav Kamen Rider shows are Faiz (555), OOO, and Black, and I love that "The First" movie reboot thingy.

I'm excited for the new Twin Peaks also

Professor Bear

Faiz is awesome!  Alongside the epilepsy-inducing Dekaranger, it was what got me into toku, as all I ask of my Saturday morning children's programming is that at least one of the regular characters has their face torn off and eaten onscreen, and Faiz provides.
Blade is a really good entry into the KR franchise, too, but for me the shows never topped the inventive energy of Kabuto, or the the Bildungsroman tone of Hibiki that made it so peculiarly and unmistakably Japanese.

The Garo franchise is also worth a look, as it's put together by several Kamen Rider regulars.

Smith

I should get around to other KR shows;if I ever finish the current backlog of series and movies.

PsychoGoatee

Dekaranger is fun for sure, Gokaiger too, been meaning to check out Garo. And any of the various KR or tokusatsu shows in general I haven't seen.

Loved the Twin Peaks revival tonight by the way, it's like a mix of the style of all of David Lynch's dark noir stuff so far. Really intense and cool.

Smith

So Im really the only one who watched Ryuki?

The Legendary Shark

Just started on the 2015 CGI version of Thunderbirds Are Go and I'm suitably impressed. I have a few niggles, such as no dad and a sexy female spy but, other than that, it's everything the film wasn't.

The Thunderbirds themselves look really cool and have been redesigned just enough to look modern whilst holding on to the original spirit of the things.

What really impresses me, though, is that some of the scenes (like when the Thunderbirds land at a disaster site) look like models. What I mean is, they look almost exactly like the original series. It's hard to describe properly but it's like the water around Tracy Island: in the original series, you could tell by the size of the ripples that the island was a (bloody fantastic) model and the makers of this series have gone for exactly the same effect - instead of scaling the ripples to make the island look like a real island, they've used outsized ripples to make it look like a (bloody fantastic) model. Likewise, the countryside is rendered to look like a model of countryside (like on a model railway) instead of the real thing. They must do something similar with camera angles and focal lengths, reproducing the look of models shot through big cameras rather than scaling the virtual cameras to fit the models. The results are often pleasing to the eye and occasionally stunning.

Loving this show so far!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

The characters in Thunderbirds are CGI, but the rest is physical model work bolstered with CGI effects.  If you fancy checking out a modern marionette show, Thunderbolt Fantasy is amazing.

The Legendary Shark

Aha! That explains why the models look like models - I'd assumed it was all CGI and I'm kinda impressed that it isn't. There's just something about a physical model that can't be beat and I'm glad they still have a place.

I'll definitely check out Thunderbolt Fantasy, thanks for the heads up on that. (Remember the film Strings? I loved that!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 May, 2017, 09:10:57 PM
The characters in Thunderbirds are CGI, but the rest is physical model work bolstered with CGI effects.  If you fancy checking out a modern marionette show, Thunderbolt Fantasy is amazing.
Thunderbolt Fantasy is freaking nuts, I love it!