Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 July, 2017, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: JLC on 31 July, 2017, 05:44:41 PM
Robin of Sherwood.

Always surprised and delighted by how well this stands up to modern re-watching, although I find my tolerance for SeanJason Connery (originally low) and Clannad's incidental music (originally high) have swapped rankings completely. If I hear 'together, we...' drowning out the dialogue one more time...

The commentaries on the DVDs are absolutely priceless.  "Oh look, it's that golf course again!  I had a lovely snooze under that bush by the 18th!" etc.

It's a while since I've seen these. Not sure I ever watched them all. I remember The Hounds of Lucifer story scaring me as a kid.

Mardroid

Please ignore. Accidental double post.

The Legendary Shark

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Excellent stuff, but then I didn't get where I am today by watching shite...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 July, 2017, 06:04:12 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 31 July, 2017, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: JLC on 31 July, 2017, 05:44:41 PM
Robin of Sherwood.

Always surprised and delighted by how well this stands up to modern re-watching, although I find my tolerance for SeanJason Connery (originally low) and Clannad's incidental music (originally high) have swapped rankings completely. If I hear 'together, we...' drowning out the dialogue one more time...

The commentaries on the DVDs are absolutely priceless.  "Oh look, it's that golf course again!  I had a lovely snooze under that bush by the 18th!" etc.

It's a while since I've seen these. Not sure I ever watched them all. I remember The Hounds of Lucifer story scaring me as a kid.

Well worth revisiting - Hounds of Lucifer is the one everyone remembers, but there's plenty in that vein. 

And obviously I meant Jason Connery, not hish old man.

Keef Monkey

That takes me back, I remember loving that show as a kid. I do recall being a bit put out when he was recast (unless I'm thinking of another show)? I think I was maybe too young at the time to understand that was a thing that sometimes happens, and it weirded me out greatly.

Krakajac

Also a fan of the Robin TV series.

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the film 'Robin and Marian' (Connery and Hepburn).  My favourite representation of the Robin legend.  Made a real impression on me as a lad.

The Legendary Shark

All I remember from that film is Connery's abortive arse-scratch.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Krakajac on 01 August, 2017, 10:18:40 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I love the film 'Robin and Marian' (Connery and Hepburn).  My favourite representation of the Robin legend.  Made a real impression on me as a lad.

Oh yep, totally supplanted my childhood vision of Robin Hood, at least until Michael Praed started flicking his hair about.

Smith

Every episode of Stargate SG-1
General Hammond: No,you cant go on that suicidal mission.
Others: But sir...
General Hammond: Okay,okay,but just this once.

Tjm86

Sky have recently posted the complete SG1 series on their boxset collection.  Slowly working through series 1.  Stands up recently well so long as the 'drizzly vancouver woodland' planet of the week is discounted.  The planet of the week format works okay and they haven't managed to bog themselves down in insanely complex back stories or arcs yet.  Considering what else is around at the moment ....

JLC

Quote from: Krakajac on 01 August, 2017, 10:18:40 AM
Also a fan of the Robin TV series.

Wonderful film

Smith

Season 1 of Stargate was a bit rough,but pretty average.It will get better,and the it will get worst,but when we get to that...

radiator

Rick and Morty season 3.

Man oh man - the latest episode - 'Pickle Rick' - is one of the finest twenty minutes of TV I've seen in a long time. Each episode is packed so full of ideas that when they finish, your brain is reeling and you feel as if you've just watched a two hour movie.

If you're not watching it, you really should be.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 August, 2017, 07:45:49 PMThe planet of the week format works okay and they haven't managed to bog themselves down in insanely complex back stories or arcs yet.

As I recall, SG1 always had okay but not spectacular ratings when new eps premiered, and by the time the network had enough episodes in the bag to sell elsewhere, they didn't actually have to make any more, so the show's success overseas was irrelevant.  The show was more or less on the verge of cancellation the entire time it was being made, even when it was being made by a different channel, which was why the producers kept the mythology pretty light for years, and why the season finales were rarely cliffhangers - no-one could be sure if they were coming back the following year.  Supposedly, McGyver only said yes to his last two seasons because he didn't think they were going to happen.

Professor Bear

Into The Badlands - the second season of this post-apocalyptic kung-fu series is better than it sounds as a concept.  Nick Frost shows up as the Piggsy character as they're still pretending this is based on Journey To The West, but the truth is that the show's producers used to make Smallville and it's most likely just their penchant for archetypes and simplistic dynastic-based power struggles showing through than an attempt at cultural appropriation of a famous Eastern storytelling cycle.  The wirework is pretty good, though often too outrageous to take entirely seriously, while some characters are pointless but take up screen time anyway.  Good fun all the same, even if the magic monks stuff gets old real fast.

Rick and Morty - first season of Community alum Dan Harmon's Doctor Who rip-off that owes a lot to animated shows like ATHF and Bob's Burgers in animation style, pacing, and arc construction.  It's very hit and miss, and doesn't nail the mix of emo/sci-fi that something like Bravest Warriors or Bee And Puppycat does, as while an uneven tone is fine for episodic television, it kills any emotional investment in characters, which the writers seem to acknowledge as the season draws to a close.  A good laugh, tho, and probably the show you want to watch if you think Adventure Time is "too mainstream" to be cool now, you hipster jerk you.