Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Movie trailers in front of movie trailers.

You know what I'm talking about, right? These days, you go on to Youtube to watch the latest movie trailer, and for some unfathomable reason the studio has decided to put a 5 second trailer for the trailer you're about to watch at the beginning of the trailer.

I can only guess at what the reasoning behind this is (the studios have such a low opinion of their customers' attention spans they are worried they won't stick around for the whole 90 seconds?!?!?!) but all it does it slightly spoil any sense of build up or anticipation of watching a new trailer.

Baffling.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 09 October, 2017, 05:42:04 PM

You know what I'm talking about, right? These days, you go on to Youtube to watch the latest movie trailer, and for some unfathomable reason the studio has decided to put a 5 second trailer for the trailer you're about to watch at the beginning of the trailer.

I can only guess at what the reasoning behind this is (the studios have such a low opinion of their customers' attention spans they are worried they won't stick around for the whole 90 seconds?!?!?!) but all it does it slightly spoil any sense of build up or anticipation of watching a new trailer.

Baffling.

I find this really annoying too. The most recent one I saw was for Justice League, where the 5 second trailer preview was basically an arse shot of Wonder Woman, which wasn't even in the trailer. As if they were so concerned people didn't have the attention span to get through a 2 second WB logo so needed to show them an arse first. That stuff is beyond insulting.

JamesC

1. People who view food in terms of fashion.

2. Bargain Hunt.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 October, 2017, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 October, 2017, 05:42:04 PM

Baffling.

I find this really annoying too. The most recent one I saw was for Justice League, where the 5 second trailer preview was basically an arse shot of Wonder Woman, which wasn't even in the trailer. As if they were so concerned people didn't have the attention span to get through a 2 second WB logo so needed to show them an arse first. That stuff is beyond insulting.

A bit of explanation here - apparently it's to grab people's attention if the trailer is posted on social media, which I suppose makes sense in that specific context - less so if it's the main trailer posted on a movie studios official channel where people will actively go to seek it out. The editing and presentation of trailers is an artform in itself - it's a shame they feel the need to sully that with this obnoxious trend.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/4/22/11487410/movie-trailers-independence-day-jason-bourne

I hate all this desperate pandering to short attention spans. It's like on the radio where they edit songs down to such an insane degree that I sincerely predict that within a few years pop stations will give up any pretense of actually playing songs and they'll just play 5 second snippets of the chorus before moving on to the next.

JamesC

Someone told me that most pop songs written in the last five years have intros that last less than 5 seconds. This apparently because, if someone listens to the song on Spotify or whatever, it only counts once the singing starts. Not sure if that's true and if so I'm not sure how it works for instrumentals.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JamesC on 11 October, 2017, 06:25:28 AM
Someone told me that most pop songs written in the last five years have intros that last less than 5 seconds. This apparently because, if someone listens to the song on Spotify or whatever, it only counts once the singing starts. Not sure if that's true and if so I'm not sure how it works for instrumentals.

There was an article in the paper claiming this last week which listed the longest intros and how they don't appear on many mainstream playlists. Which is fine by me as I don't listen to mainstream radio.

Tjm86

radiator

Pushy, nagging eBay buyers - the ones that immediately start pestering you with nagging emails the second they win an auction about when they're going to get the item. Happens almost every time I sell anything. >:(

Professor Bear

I'm more grateful to be rid of a mountain of tat than I am to be getting any money for it, but Ebayers who haggle over literal pennies are a peeve.  I don't just mean the types who demand combined postage on multiple items you were already selling at a price that covered Ebay's selling fees and no more, I mean people who send you detailed instructions how to pack their items, like the guy who wanted me to construct a package from a cereal box and sticky tape in order to pack multiple items Tetris-like in the least amount of space so the post office would class it as a small package and he could save 8 pence.
I'm beginning to formulate a theory why Ebay has removed negative reviews from its site.

Eric Plumrose

Cold callers who now open with "S'okay, nothing to worry about".

Wankers had me paranoid awhile I was scowling every time I answered the door.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Legendary Shark

"S'okay, nothing to worry about."

"Really? Wow, that's a great relief, thanks."

Close the door.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 09 March, 2018, 09:30:17 AM
Cold callers who now open with "S'okay, nothing to worry about".

I genuinely stopped answering my hall door in 2008. Nuthin good ever came of it.

The Legendary Shark

Answer the door naked and holding a plucked chicken. The caller soon goes away.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

People who react to statistics, citations and facts in discussions with strawmen, whataboutisms and worst of all...memes.

So basically any public forum that isn't this fair place then.

Mardroid

Buses that leave the bus stop early.

This happened a couple of times to me recently. I waited inside somewhere warm, keeping an eye on the scheduled time, and arrive at the bus stop with a couple of minutes to spare... to see the bus drive off. And these buses aren't London buses so it's a while to the next one.

I know, I know. Just arrive at the bus stop even earlier, but I don't think they should leave early. On the dot of time, fair enough...