Main Menu

Obi Wan Kenobi film (kinda) announced.

Started by Pete Wells, 17 August, 2017, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Both Hollywood Reporter and Variety are reporting that an Obi Wan Kenobi standalone movie is indeed being worked on, with Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Reader director Stephen Daldry at the helm.

No script or cast yet (or indeed official announcement) but this is good news to me!

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Much as I like Obi-Wan, you have to wonder, though. The three 'anthology' films so far are Death Star Again, Han Solo and Obi-Wan. I'm not seeing a lot of envelope pushing.

JOE SOAP

A notion I previously raised that Disney were just going to covertly re-do the Prequels seems more and more relevant.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 August, 2017, 04:31:18 AM
Much as I like Obi-Wan, you have to wonder, though. The three 'anthology' films so far are Death Star Again, Han Solo and Obi-Wan. I'm not seeing a lot of envelope pushing.
Hang on. It could be set on Tattooine, directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky and fit in chronologically between El Topo and The Holy Mountain.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 August, 2017, 11:29:56 PM
Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Reader director Stephen Daldry

Some make their Wallace Beery wrestling movie at the start of their career, some at its end:

https://youtu.be/-55OifQFlFI

sheridan

I can see how they could do a Yoda or Han Solo film, as all we've seen is parts of their later life, but we've already seen Obi Wan from Padawan to force ghost...

I, Cosh

Quote from: sheridan on 18 August, 2017, 09:12:55 AM
I can see how they could do a Yoda or Han Solo film, as all we've seen is parts of their later life, but we've already seen Obi Wan from Padawan to force ghost...
Truly, Madly, Jedi!
We never really die.

matty_ae

The Disney cartoon series Rebels had an episode where Darth Maul tracked down Obi Wan for revenge.
He came to Tattoine to hunt for him - so they can't really be telling this story

(from the Producer)
There's so much to discuss here, but let's start with the biggest thing in terms of canon: Obi-Wan Kenobi kills Darth Maul. He's dead. Gone. For good this time.

Since Filoni had decided to bring Darth Maul back in The Clone Wars originally, he felt a responsibility to end the former Sith apprentice's story. So he and the Rebels production team checked with several members of the Lucasfilm Story Group to make sure there weren't any future plans for the character in other Star Wars media. But for Maul, there really couldn't be.

"If there's a character like Maul running around during one of the old films, he's such a big-time player you think there would have been an echo of that somewhere," Filoni said. "So it was just the right time to tell the story and bring that thread to an end."

JOE SOAP

I think it's possibly a Kenobi v Vader film – an early attempt by Kenobi to either assassinate or turn Vader from the Daaaaark Siiide.

Jim_Campbell

I'm going to keep saying it: Obi-Wan — The Tatooine Years.

A Kurosawa/Leone style western with light sabres...? Who wouldn't want to watch that?!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Yes there are three parts of Obi-wan's life unaccounted for. His childhood and padawan years before TPM* and the Tattooine wilderness years, as others have mentioned. Maybe they'll answer why he just adopted a new first name and didn't bother changing the name of Luke at all! 😄 (To be fair, but maybe the Skywalker name is commonplace among the human population of Tattooine.)

Another part that could be covered is his early years as a Jedi Knight while Anakin was a child.

*I'm not sure how cinematic the childhood story would be, as I'm assuming he was taken into the younglings as little more than a baby. If they've got a decent 'early years mission' story with Qui-Gon, that could be very interesting, though. Show the kind of Jedi detective/peacekeeping stuff that went on before the Sith shenanigans and the clone wars.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 August, 2017, 04:42:12 PM

A Kurosawa/Leone style western with light sabres...? Who wouldn't want to watch that?!

That idea continues to rear its head in the fan-world but the trend only suggests Disney/Lucasfilm err on the side of reprising the big space spectacle of Star Wars in every film rather than the smaller back to the moisture farm idea of Ewan McGregor defending a wagon train of power converters on their way to Tosche Station. Kenobi's days on Tatooine is more akin to the type of ground they cover in the TV shows.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 August, 2017, 04:42:12 PM

This is so something I'd buy into. I mean Star Wars suggests that Ben knows Mos Eisley a better setting for a Western frontier town (well outside an actual Western frontier town) I can't imagine. Well into the idea of Ben walking into Fist Full of Space Credits

Having just read Incident On Mayjer Minor I'm well into the idea of Ben as Shane also.

Frank

Wracked with guilt over incapacity benefitting his best friend, Kid Kenobi hits the blue milk. He wakes up in Mos Eisley jail and discovers Lando Calrisian has been appointed sheriff:

He rode a blazing bantha

He once drove a flying car

He swore to do battle

With Sand Men near and far

The campfire scene, with a dozen stormtroopers shifting their weight onto one cheek then gassing themselves inside their armour, would be worth the price of admission.