Main Menu

Meg 390 The World's End

Started by 73north, 15 November, 2017, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73north

I enjoyed the Megazine this week - all the stories were well written and enjoyable
Lawless was the best story and the new Dredd story looks interesting , and Devlin Waugh is shaping up to be a fine read , worth the effort bringing that story and character back !

and it was good to see a bagged Floppy - that I had actually read HELIUM -
however one comment - 2000ad - when will we actually see the return of that series - as its been a good few years since it last appeared

Freddychopper

Very strong issue of the Meg again this month. No weak strips in there. Entertaining new Dredd story starting this month with Gallagher doing a decent enough Dredd. Lots of shocking pink in the episode but I guess that's what a Endoclorfin Womb looks like! Certainly was not prepared for that last page - bonkers!
Anderson finishes this issue with a full on action packed episode and the gun blasting action continues straight into Devlin Waugh, all good stuff.
Text piece on Dan Dare which was OK but not really into the comics review section that followed. Feels a bit like filler to me.
Lawless is strong as always and it's obviously quality but I do sometimes wish the art had a little more solid black tones/shadows?  Sometimes it can look a little cluttered but it's only a minor niggle.
The penultimate episode of Dominion wraps up the issue with some glorious zombie gory scenes and as always, stunning atmospheric art from Percival. I love the gruesome Dark Judges as they're trying to get into the Domes to attack the colonists. The last line of the strip, "But they found a way in." does point to a bleak ending to the series.
And there's a letter page this month! That was a nice thing to see and reminds me of comics from ye old days!

Richard

It's a good issue. Dominion is of course brilliant. Anderson had a strong ending. The new Dredd story is great stuff. Haven't read the rest yet. (But a certain amount of filler is ok: sometimes the text articles are interesting, and they're necessary because they're cheaper than comic art -- Rebellion is running a business and has to stay profitable.)

Eamonn Clarke

We talked about the Helium reprint on Facebook where I mis-remembered what Ian Edginton told me about it, but Steve Green put me right:
Basically there is more on the way, but probably 2019 and D'Israeli is snowed under so Tiernen Trevallion is talking over the art.

IndigoPrime

In that case, I revert back to my original thought that this is an odd reprint, given how recently it was in the Prog. (I'm not against reading it again, mind.)

Woolly

Just noticed the editorial regarding Anderson:
Quote"Look out for more adventures with the Psi-Judge over in 2000AD in early 2018 as Emma Beeby scripts a new case, Undertow, featuring the art of David Roach, Mike Collins and Cliff Robinson."

Please Tharg, tell me this means the Robinson droid is providing interior art again, and not just a series of covers!
That would be [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] immense!  :o

Colin YNWA

You know its a good Meg when you don't just default to Lawless being the best thing in it automatically. I mean Lawless is the best thing in it, but I had to think about it.

Rory McConville is begining to really shine in my eyes. I love his Dredd set ups. The stroy this month builds so much from the big alien gushing pink building cacoon thing, the reason its been brought here, the relationship between the Astro-Archeologist (what a job title) and her intern, all wrapped in a glorious 'horror' story and a out of leftfield cliffhanger at the end - what the HECK is going on there. With so much built up I really hope this doesn't get wrapped up next week and everything gets room to shiny, and develop what's been set this month.

He (Rory) follows this up with another fantastic Devlin Waugh. Its just superb stuff. Love it and unlike Indigo Prime I think McConville respects and works with what John Smith so brilliantly created, but he doesn't do so slavishly and leaves his own voice on the work, building on what's gone before. The ideas are excellent, the end superb and the art devine... you know this gave Lawless a right run for its money... of course Lawless just pulls away on the final lap but this did all it could to keep pace.

Inbetween two lovely McConville pieces there's a solid Anderson ending. It did feel a little lacking in punch and the public execution felt a bit weird BUT I do think this story will stand up well to re-read, something I look forward to doing. Oh Paul Marshal once again demonstrates why he's a really underrated tooth hero.

Lawless from the opening exchange, the bar boys discussion, Nerys' trouble (I. HATE. NERYS'. BLUES.) to Kill-a-man's ... well his everything, to that nerve jiggling ending. Comics heaven.

I'm getting bored of saying I'm so done with the Dark Judges and I'm not Nick Percival's biggest fan to once again have to retract that cos both the villains and art in Dominion for Wagner's story are just perfection. This really is the best the DJs have been for like... 30 years! Genuninely chilling and tense comics in a way I've very rarely experienced.

All this and Helium all ready for me to re-read and some good text pieces... you know 2000ad is on good form, very good form at the moment. The Meg is beating it hands down and is the best it been since I got back on board with it almost three years ago.

DrJomster

Blimey, strong Meg this month. If you're not subscribing, I'd seriously consider it good people!

Lawless was particularly fine. Very generous of Tharg to give us Helium, I must say.

Roll on next month!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Proudhuff

Quote from: 73north on 15 November, 2017, 11:29:32 AM
I enjoyed the Megazine this week - all the stories were well written and enjoyable
Lawless was the best story and the new Dredd story looks interesting , and Devlin Waugh is shaping up to be a fine read , worth the effort bringing that story and character back !

and it was good to see a bagged Floppy - that I had actually read HELIUM -
however one comment - 2000ad - when will we actually see the return of that series? -

^^^^ especially the last question!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Woolly on 16 November, 2017, 06:31:53 PM
Just noticed the editorial regarding Anderson:
Quote"Look out for more adventures with the Psi-Judge over in 2000AD in early 2018 as Emma Beeby scripts a new case, Undertow, featuring the art of David Roach, Mike Collins and Cliff Robinson."

Please Tharg, tell me this means the Robinson droid is providing interior art again, and not just a series of covers!
That would be [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] immense!  :o

Hopefully it means we finally get my Anderson hits the menopause story  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Can't believe Dominion is going to wrap up already.

For something that's been running for months (counting the previous story as well) the Anderson "epic" just petered out really. It never really felt that exciting given what was meant to be happening.

Dredd had a couple of nice scenes especially between Dr Boris and her [spoiler]partner / intern[/spoiler] but overall descended into silliness and not in a good way.

Devlin Waugh. I think this series is the first time I have actually liked this strip.

Lawless. More like flawless.

Oh and Helium reads nicely in one go. I do hope that isn't it and we do actually get some more.

Tjm86

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 November, 2017, 06:20:20 AM

Oh and Helium reads nicely in one go. I do hope that isn't it and we do actually get some more.

Amen.  The news that Trevallion is taking over on art duties is encouraging.  D'israeli is a hard act to follow but at least someone with a complementary artistic vision is in the frame.

Magnetica

I didn't used to be a D'Isreali fan, but I have really come round to his work recently. Now Trevallion is great on Absalom, but I wonder how well he will suit Helium. D'Isteali and Edington just go so well together.

IMO if it can't be D'Israeli, the closest is INJ Culbard (as I understand it they were originally  going to share Brass Sun) but I guess he is busy with Brass Sun and Brink and I definitely want him to continue on those strips.

Tjm86

I'm of the same mind with regard to D'israeli / Edington.  Will be a shame that there will be a change of art going forward.  Culbard on art would also work incredibly well, in fact I would second that as a preference to Trevallion if it came to it.