Main Menu

Red Dwarf is Coming Back

Started by karlos, 18 October, 2019, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

I didn't love it as much as I wanted to, but it was undeniably good fun.

I wanted the arrival of new cats (for the first time ever!) to have a bit more weight to it, and for Cat to have a bit more of a role in proceedings - we never even find out how he feels about meeting his own people at last (granted, he's a shallow fecker, but the return of the cats was always going to be his big moment to shine, and he was weirdly sidelined throughout). Maybe a bit less Rimmer would have allowed for that.
@jamesfeistdraws

von Boom

After the disappointment with Picard, it was wonderful to see Red Dwarf stay true to itself. The special started out strong and while there were a couple of wobbles it worked wonderfully. I chuckled and smiled pretty much throughout with a couple of genuine gutbusters.

My biggest disappointment would have to be with [spoiler]Lister's refusal to tell Rimmer that he liked him. Although Kryten's response to the question was priceless.[/spoiler]

With everything that's happening in the world, it was a marvellous way to feel a sense of normalcy for a couple of hours. I will be watching this again very soon.

Greg M.

Isn't Lister's response [spoiler]a lot more meaningful and true though? He goes beyond 'I like you' into 'I need you' and confirms the co-dependent nature of their relationship. [/spoiler]

Trooper McFad

I really enjoyed the original Holly back ( my fav episode was his April fool in "Queeg" (season 2)
Overall an enjoyable watch and quite a few laughs. 👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 April, 2020, 05:09:26 PM
Isn't Lister's response [spoiler]a lot more meaningful and true though? He goes beyond 'I like you' into 'I need you' and confirms the co-dependent nature of their relationship. [/spoiler]
That is one way to look at it, [spoiler]but after Cat made Rimmer doubt his existence and consider suicide I felt he needed to hear it.[/spoiler]

Greg M.

I do know what you mean [spoiler]- part of me was asking Lister 'After all these years, can't you just say it?' - but I'd just watched Terrorform the day previously, and the touching nature of The Promised Land's 'moonlight' scene stood in sharp contrast to the callous nature of the 'No!' that ends said episode. In that context, it seemed that Promised Land Lister gives Rimmer something more valuable than a mere 'like' - he gives him a reason to keep going.[/spoiler]

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 April, 2020, 06:23:01 PM
I do know what you mean [spoiler]- part of me was asking Lister 'After all these years, can't you just say it?' - but I'd just watched Terrorform the day previously, and the touching nature of The Promised Land's 'moonlight' scene stood in sharp contrast to the callous nature of the 'No!' that ends said episode. In that context, it seemed that Promised Land Lister gives Rimmer something more valuable than a mere 'like' - he gives him a reason to keep going.[/spoiler]
I can't argue with that.

M.I.K.

Anubis does not have the head of a cat. That would be Bastet/Bast.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: M.I.K. on 10 April, 2020, 08:43:02 PM
Anubis does not have the head of a cat. That would be Bastet/Bast.

Glad it wasn't just me! What a terrible error to make, specially when Bast is funnier!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

MacabreMagpie

It has been suggested (on the excellent Ganymede & Titan podcast reaction) that it was consciously fudged a bit because "Anubis Stone" reads better to a layman than "Bastet Stone". Not official but plausible.

von Boom

Apparently, there was a scene where the clerics stole the Anubis stone that explained everything but was never shot.

https://twitter.com/RichardDGNaylor/status/1249002076866318337?s=19

Woolly

I dunno, I enjoyed it but it really felt like a few episodes worth of ideas, mashed together without being fully formed.

[spoiler]The whole Holly subplot could have been it's own episode, as could the Rimmer diamond light thing.
The main plot was woefully underdeveloped, especially considering it was the Cat episode we've been promised since series 7 (I think). AND the main baddie was Cat's brother?! Definitely needed more screen time, and a bigger role for Cat.

The retcon-ing of the timing regarding cat society leaving Red Dwarf (Cat himself was supposed to be the son of 'the cripple and the idiot', left behind after the rest of them left), and the whole Cloister thing irked a bit too*.[/spoiler]

Still mostly enjoyed it though, mainly for the performances of the main cast - they can handle any material :)

*(I know, I'm asking for continuity in Red Dwarf.... I'm a fool!)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Woolly on 12 April, 2020, 12:17:13 AM
The retcon-ing of the timing regarding cat society leaving Red Dwarf (Cat himself was supposed to be the son of 'the cripple and the idiot', left behind after the rest of them left), and the whole Cloister thing irked a bit too. [/spoiler]

Not to mention the fact that the crew spent 200 years in stasis between series V and VI! So how is Rodon Cat's brother...?
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 October, 2019, 04:05:23 PM

I still cringe at the AA adverts (although I'm assuming that the new series will be better written).

Alcoholics Anonymous?  Te amount Lister was drinking at the beginning, I wouldn't be surprised.

Greg M.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 April, 2020, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 12 April, 2020, 12:17:13 AM
The retcon-ing of the timing regarding cat society leaving Red Dwarf (Cat himself was supposed to be the son of 'the cripple and the idiot', left behind after the rest of them left), and the whole Cloister thing irked a bit too. [/spoiler]

Not to mention the fact that the crew spent 200 years in stasis between series V and VI! So how is Rodon Cat's brother...?

Damage to the space-time continuum between series VI and VII, explaining virtually all Red Dwarf continuity errors.

Or: Rodon also spent some time in stasis.