Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Watching happy on Netflix enjoying it so far, gruesome funny and a bit nuts, might have to get the graphic novel it's based on

TordelBack

Lost in Space is still engaging the kids halfway in, but I have to say that I'm finding way too much fiat in the plot - the [spoiler]fuel-eels[/spoiler] were a silly but entirely serviceable plot device, given that the J2 had crashed in sub-glacial water.  Now we find that they have also i[spoiler]nfected all the other Jupiters, despite there being no indication of their being anywhere near water and/or glaciers, and drained all of their reserve tanks, despite their having no observable need to access these in order to escape, say, crushing ice formations[/spoiler]. 

And who made all these [spoiler]convenient treeless tracks through the forests between the various Jupiters[/spoiler]?

And how come [spoiler]Don's whiskey bottles survived the unpowered re-entry and landing of a fragment of the Resolute[/spoiler]?

Etc etc.

Professor Bear

The inside of Jupiters are made of indestructible but very bouncy rubber, that's why Don survives [spoiler]one falling off a cliff [/spoiler]and another one [spoiler]exploding[/spoiler] even though we don't see how in the show.
But kudos to the writers for taking someone's advice that "it doesn't matter if the fuel problem is resolved in a batshit way" as literally as it was possible to do so.

Professor Bear

Krypton - yet another Superman prequel series, and of the many interesting and unique versions of Superman's Old Country that we've seen over the decades - from the THX 118-inspired clinical dystopia of the John Byrne reboot or the goofy primary-coloured Soviet Union of the post-Jurgens era - this is far and away the most singly dull and uninteresting take I've seen, mixing YA tropes of the moment with some of the most corny characters and dialogue I've seen on telly for a while.
What it most reminds me of are the Mongo portions of the super low-budget Flash Gordon tv series from the early 2000s, only where that had an awareness of its own campness that could make a viewing bearable to those of an indulgent mood, Krypton is too earnest for that, just not earnest in any way that lends proceedings any more gravy-tass.  What's truly baffling is why the format is so familiar to anyone like me who's watched more than a few low-budget sci-fi shows about a space theocracy melodrama that plays out against the same few sets - do they have a watering hole set?  LOL of course they have a watering hole set - and the same few stock CGI shots of a space city and a stock cast of characters who grew up within a couple of miles of each other and yet have a vast array of accents and come from a startling array of races for a society of caste-based isolationists currently governed by a dictatorship derived from religious nationalism.  It clearly cost money to make this, and yet it doesn't have a single original idea in its head.
We're fast approaching a point where tv shows can rival the production standards of movies, but this show is a masterclass in how that means absolutely nothing without a writers' room or showrunner with a clear vision of what they want to achieve beyond filling 42 minutes on a weekly basis.

Might be worth a watch if you like stuff to be on in the background while you do other things.

Mardroid

Quote from: moly on 02 May, 2018, 01:58:09 PM
Watching happy on Netflix enjoying it so far, gruesome funny and a bit nuts, might have to get the graphic novel it's based on

Just two episodes into that so far (last weekend ) and that's my take on it too! I didnt know it was based on a graphic novel, but I'm not surprised. Really liking it so far.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 May, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
taking someone's advice that "it doesn't matter if the fuel problem is resolved in a batshit way" as literally as it was possible to do so.

:lol:

Thank you.

Personally I enjoyed it in a, well there's sod all else on worth watching right now kind of way.  There are some interesting ideas there, if just poorly developed and threaded.  It's probably worth remembering that very little TV Sci Fi starts well, or even improves as it goes along.  Be interesting to see whether Netflix do decide to keep going with it or not.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 02 May, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
Outlander. Loving this following a friend's recommendation. Nearly finished series one, it's great how it tells a compelling story against the historical backdrop. Special mention for Tobias Menzies for playing such a hateful bad guy without camping it up.

The narration was a deal breaker for me. Does it stop after episode 1?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 May, 2018, 10:11:21 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 02 May, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
Outlander. Loving this following a friend's recommendation. Nearly finished series one, it's great how it tells a compelling story against the historical backdrop. Special mention for Tobias Menzies for playing such a hateful bad guy without camping it up.

The narration was a deal breaker for me. Does it stop after episode 1?

No, it continues. I haven't read the books so don't know if they are written from Claire's point of view. Could be a lift from there if so.

Theblazeuk

Everyone should watch Over the Garden Wall on Netflix. I bought the DVD of this years ago but it's America-region only, so have not been able to share my love for this weird animation of woodsy horror and whimsy. It's really good stuff and has some great voice work too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 May, 2018, 06:48:15 PM
Everyone should watch Over the Garden Wall on Netflix.

Footnote: if you read the comics, I'm not the Jim Campbell that works on this.

Additional footnote: except for the OTGW comics I did work on. Happy to have cleared that up.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Rampaging through The Sopranos after hearing they're having a go at making a prequel film.

I remember it being good, not having watched the series in a decade or more, and I'm pleased to report that, in this instance at least, my memory hasn't steered me wrong. Superb television packed with compelling characters, engaging story lines and laugh out loud humour.

So who am I, Barry Norman? Go see the f*ckin' thing for yourself an' make your own f*ckin' mind up. I ain't your goddam mother, for Christ's sake. And fetch me some of that ziti, you fat f*cking c*cksucker.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 June, 2018, 06:02:05 PM
Rampaging through The Sopranos after hearing they're having a go at making a prequel film.

I remember it being good, not having watched the series in a decade or more, and I'm pleased to report that, in this instance at least, my memory hasn't steered me wrong. Superb television packed with compelling characters, engaging story lines and laugh out loud humour.

So who am I, Barry Norman? Go see the f*ckin' thing for yourself an' make your own f*ckin' mind up. I ain't your goddam mother, for Christ's sake. And fetch me some of that ziti, you fat f*cking c*cksucker.

Jeez. Kiss your dog with that mouth?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Black Books.
I had a horrible realisation that I grew up to be Bernard Black.

TordelBack

Danish post-apoc wotsit, The Rain.  Not doing it for me I'm afraid. Everyone is so utterly stupid, even for TV survivors, the chronology doesn't make any sense (how have these most of these morons survived for 6 days, never mind 6 years?), the transmission of the disease seems inconsistent ([spoiler]from stepping in a puddle, but not from brushing through grass/undergrowth?[/spoiler]), urban quarantine zones that are maintained by one handful of blokes in a single hummer...  I dunno. Some good performances, some impressive enough sets, but I don't know if I can handle much more unless it ups its game when we reach Sweden.