Main Menu

Which thrills have you skipped?

Started by Richard, 19 January, 2024, 10:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 January, 2024, 01:20:40 PMIn 2000 AD, I'll usually give something three or four episodes before it gets shoved into a bucket of love/like/don't like. But I'll continue reading and those things can change. With Spidey, I think I gave up after four of five issues of barely readable Todd McFarlane comics. 2099: one series read fully. Half of one skimmed. Then I was done.

Nice to meet another Ravage fan  :D

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 January, 2024, 01:41:20 PMI want to like everything in the Prog
This also. For whatever reason, I'm more invested in 2000 AD than other comics. Defensive of it – even with myself, when I don't like something. Which sounds weird, but there you go.

And I've done the same with re-reading things when new series rock up. With Helium, that was an especially great idea. I remembered liking that strip, but not to the degree I did on the re-read. Maybe I did. Memory is weird and unreliable. Kudos to Tharg for lobbing the PDF our way.

Enemy Earth is going to be an interesting one. It's not a favourite. Most weeks, I list it as fourth out of five strips. But it's one of those that for me has nonetheless been pretty entertaining throughout its run. I'm really curious to see how it reads in one go. I suspect it'll be a properly fast-paced adventure in a trade. (I mean, it's not been slow in the Progs, but sometimes collected editions provide new energy to something.)

QuoteThe exception would be if I really found the content of the strip distasteful. This doesn't really apply to the Prog but I've read other comics where the subject matter is so unpleasant to me that I'd just mentally stick that in a 'never again' category.
I'd say the Prog has flirted with that, but mostly in moments rather than series. There are certain things that happened in strips that I'm pretty much "oh, fuck right off" to, but it's very, very rare that an entire strip rubs me up the wrong way.

The closest has probably been the Mark Millar stuff during 2000 AD's nadir (as I see it). He wrote some really weird homophobic shit at the time, peppered in among the just standard flavour shit. Even as a relative youngling, I felt something was off. Looking at some of it now and it's all a bit... yikes. (I mean, 2000 AD has plenty of 'of its time' moments – Dredd has at times been xenophobic as a strip rather than a character.

But by the time the Summer Offensive rolled around, everyone should have known better. I guess the clue was in those words, but 2000 AD to me was always smarter than that. (Fortunately, it is again today under current Tharg.)

nxylas

I do sometimes skip the text pieces in the Meg if I'm pressed for time. The only strip I remember skipping is The Mean Arena when it was first published. I took a real dislike to it for some reason. I've since read it in reprint form, and I'm not sure what my objection was.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

lincnash

2000AD: Still have not read Zenith to this day, just zero interest.

Megazine: Avoid text stories (comics are a visual medium!) and rarely read a whole floppy, usually find in the first few pages I remember the story/plot and no have desire tor re-read.

AlexF

I used to skip loads as a young reader -Rogue Trooper being the most obvious strip I had no time for- but I think since completing a full read-through (back in 1993 when I was 14/15 and such a thing was not TOO terifiying a time-investment) I've read everything published in the Prog, have yet to find any story so bad/distasteful that I won't read it. Even Lowborn High got better as it went on (and on).
I do skip plenty of reprint content in the Meg, much of it material I've never read before. I'm too young to get a nostalgia kick from a lot of the 'Treasury' stuff, and frankly more of it leaves me cold than brings delight.

Proudhuff

I'm quite harsh and skip, skip, skip stuff :-[  There's normally at least one story per prog I've given up on: life is too short!!

I can vary from totally skipping, to just top and tailing a story (first and last frame), to skimming the art and getting a general feel just in case it hooks me or the art is worth following.

The Meg gets the same treatment, but I always, always read Dredd, altho City of Courts was at my limit.
DDT did a job on me

The Monarch

i don't think i have ever deliberately skipped a 2000ad story. loads i have personally hated by the end of their runs but never skipped. I can't even say the 90s screwed me over i was a Sonic the comic reader during the dirt worst of that time period

I do skip the idw stuff in the meg. i just can't stand it. Johnny red was great though that was a treat but i also don't think that was idw :D

IndigoPrime

Surprised you can't stand the IDW stuff. City of Courts was terrible, but I very much enjoyed re-reading Matt Smith's Dread and Anderson, the brief Rogue Trooper reboot, and the Deviations one-shot. (Very much diminishing returns from this point, though, unless Rebellion has any rights to reprint the Mars Attacks crossover.)

Southstreeter

I used to skip Beck and Kawl- somehow I found it unreadable. These days I always read everything, though I skim stuff I don't like, such as Enemy Earth. I've also found DeMarco a bit of a struggle in recent years.

Hawkmumbler

As far as 'new' material in both the Prog and Meg, never skipped a thing for good or ill. I think I skipped a few of the Meg floppy reprints after reading a few chapters in a peacing out.
Couldn't tell you what they where though, let me check...

Blue Cactus

I used to skip Dredd. For a while, when I was wee. There, I said it. I didn't really 'get' the strip, and I didn't think it was fair that Dredd got to be in every single prog.

Link Prime

I was ride or die reading everything in my younger days - I mean, we're talkin the full run of R.A.M. Raiders here.
Been ruthless in the last few years though, since about the numerical Prog 2000 - will skip anything that doesn't tickle my fancy without hesitation.
Normally not an issue for an anthology comic of the Prog's underlying quality though.

I, Cosh

Original strips. Not only don't I skip anything, I try to reread every story in full once it's finished. I'm a bit behind with that at the moment though.

Reprint strips. Depends.

Text articles. Doubt I've read one since 2017.
We never really die.