Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread  (Read 101355 times)

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #810 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:23:14 pm »

Well 2001 starts out pretty well. A lukewarm  Tor Cyan doesn't over stay its welcome at four episodes - though Kev Walker art aside there's worse to come as I recall.

Necronauts while a short thrill, defies my expectations (see below) and at just nine episodes by actually seems about right. Its a fine concept, executed well and doesn't over stay its welcome. I thought this one felt curtailed but read well and man  Fraser Irving's art is a delight and perfect for this story.

All this is backing up some nice Wagner Dredd one offs, soe very good Sinister Dexter and some decent Future Shocks. The star of the show however is Button Man III . Well its just brilliant isn't it. Its just so well crafted. as I've said before down thread I believe (or maybe on a different thread but I think its here abouts) reading it while I can see the translation into telly or film is appealing while it work as well. For me this tale is all about the craft. Both Wagner and Ranson showing what masters of their game they are. Like Harry seeing off multiple button men as they track him down for trying to get out in one deadliy man hunt, none of the other are quite at the races compared to the best. So Wagner and Ranson. There's some great comics snapping away at this, chasing around Button Man III but none of them have the completely mastery as this and while they are very very good in their own right they pale away.

But its about comics masters telling a comic tale very very well. Strip that away and is Harry being tracked down, out thinking and out gunning even thoug out numbers. Laying traps like Rambo and Dutch. Being a stone cold cool hard killer, really going to standout as original? Who knows we'll have to wait and see, if we every do. Me though while I'd be more than happy for John and Arthur to get their pay day I'm more than happy just to have this and the other, Button Man stories as the perfect comics they are.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #811 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:13:25 pm »

Covering long awaited returns

A couple of lovely covers beck in the first relaunch of 2001. Prog 1234 also sorts out a recent issue - that thankfully didn't last long. The new mast head didn't last long a little over 6 months and is replaced by... well the classic logo, the greatest and longest lasting. Oh its been tweaked and played with, its been put back into a mast head of a kind now. but almost 1000 (gulp) Progs later - well 900+, its still there. As Unca Joe says on the cover itself

If it ain't broke don't fix it creep!

Its a revisit to the logo of old and the cover of old that introduced it and its a lovely piece of work

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=1234&Comic=2000ad

When I look at the cover of the next Prog 1235 I wonder if Tharg commissioned this as an option for the relaunch before deciding to go a different direction and celebrate the new logo. Its a glorious Kev Walker Tharg cover with a nice little montage of characters at his feet. Its one of my favourites, but then I've always been a sucker for a Tharg cover.

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=1235

Inside there's a bit of a classic feel to Tharg's organ too. Wagner and Kennedy Dredd, modern classics Dante - with a silly and slightly out of tone Tsar Wars side story and Sinister Dexter. Alongside these is a return after a long break of the classic ABC Warriors. Its a set of stories I've very much been looking forward to re-reading, not necessarily cos I remember liking them especially, I have significent problems in my mind with this return to Mars triology (as I recall I'll get) but I'm very much looking forward to re-evaluating them.... they start... okay... glorious Henry Flint art aside, but I'll give this far story some more time before I make a proper assessment.

Still overall good times in the Prog, lets see how it goes and all we need is a little more girth and I'll be well content to go with this classic look and feel.