Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth card game

Started by Third Estate Ned, 05 December, 2017, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

Surprised no-one's picked up on this here yet, unless I missed it. Looking forward to there being a JD game that is neither miniature-based nor RPG so I can play it with family members. The upcoming Block War card game looks like it will be a lot of fun but it's only for two players, whereas this is for more. Also, the artwork isn't pilfered from past publications, it's specially commissioned. Based on a game I've never heard of called The Lost Expedition.

Here's a couple of links:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/judgedredd-announcement/

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/240957/judge-dredd-cursed-earth

There's lots of Dredd in the pipeline for tabletop gamers at the moment.

Jade Falcon

Well Osprey are a publishers that I know more for their various Military guides that focus on a particular subject.  IE Royal Navy Battlecruiser, Tiger Tank, IJN Aircraft Carriers etc.  The books are usually of a high quality so I expect the card game will be.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sheridan

More to look forward to - 2018 looks like the year of games - the Worlds of 2000AD RPG, Block War and now Cursed Earth!

Colin YNWA

Is there a more up to date thread for this?

Anyway anyone else's copy arrived? Mine landed today and while I've done nowt but open it have to say its absolutely wonderful. The whole package is just superb. It looks fantastic, the art just sings and its just a joy. Can't wait to give it a whirl...

Timothy

I have gone one further than just opening it and have played an actual game. I played a solo game on cadet difficulty and won! It's a very well put together game and first-play impressions are good. I will try and get the rest of the family involved in a little while.

Colin YNWA

Oh that's good to hear... alas as its Meg night I won't get to this. Really excited to get to it though looks fantastic.

Grey M@a

Got mine today and completely forgot there is meant to be a pre-order bonus of the extra cards. Can't see this mentioned on the invoice nor in the box with the game. Anyone else aware if these come later or arrive with the game?

Timothy

My understanding is that they would be sent separately. There are also further promos in the Meg and in a games mag this month, although those ones are purely cosmetic.

Grey M@a

Quote from: Timothy on 20 February, 2019, 09:13:48 PM
My understanding is that they would be sent separately. There are also further promos in the Meg and in a games mag this month, although those ones are purely cosmetic.

Ah cool, will keep an eye out for them then :)

Timothy

Quote from: Timothy on 20 February, 2019, 07:21:53 PM
I have gone one further than just opening it and have played an actual game. I played a solo game on cadet difficulty and won! It's a very well put together game and first-play impressions are good. I will try and get the rest of the family involved in a little while.
Lost my second game, but on the plus side the missus has agreed to give it a go tomorrow.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Timothy on 20 February, 2019, 10:47:47 PM
Lost my second game, but on the plus side the missus has agreed to give it a go tomorrow.

Good for you - who needs board games?  ;)

walrus

My three pre-order promo cards arrived in the post this weekend

Colin YNWA

Quote from: walrus on 03 March, 2019, 11:10:15 AM
My three pre-order promo cards arrived in the post this weekend

Mine have arrived too which served as a healthy reminder I need to make some time to play this!

Grumpy Andrew

It's a fun game but it's brutal. My partner and I have played a few co-op games and always succumb to the horrors of the Cursed Earth. We're considering tweaking the rules a little: ignoring the location card instructions and amending the psi ability a little. Added bonus: she's reading The Cursed Earth trade.

gurnard

I got a copy of this. I am not a gamer but like to play a game once in a while with the kids and that.

I have a question though.
I presume you layout the perps with the same number of tokens that you layout the Judges?  I could not find this in the rules.

When I am playing in solo mode I don't know is it alright to play it so you disadvantage the perps so the Judges can catch up.  I found it a dilemma that I was cheating on myself. The perps won anyhow so I guess it makes no difference  :-)

Great game looks lovely and fun to play I really got into it once I got it set up.  Nice to have a game you can play solo too.