Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that went over your head...  (Read 133534 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that went over your head...
« Reply #1245 on: 12 October, 2019, 12:29:55 pm »
It gets better than that! IIRC 'Nobber' is an anglicisation of 'an obair' = 'the work', probably referring to the large Anglo-Norman motte-and-bailey earthwork at the edge of the village.

Now it so happens that the Dublinese for girlfriend is 'Mot' (from 'maith an cailín' = 'good girl').  So as a callow lad of 18 working away from home for the first time in that eponymous village, references to 'Nobber motte' regularly had me in stitches.

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
Re: Things that went over your head...
« Reply #1246 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:52:57 pm »
It gets better than that! IIRC 'Nobber' is an anglicisation of 'an obair' = 'the work', probably referring to the large Anglo-Norman motte-and-bailey earthwork at the edge of the village.

Now it so happens that the Dublinese for girlfriend is 'Mot' (from 'maith an cailín' = 'good girl').  So as a callow lad of 18 working away from home for the first time in that eponymous village, references to 'Nobber motte' regularly had me in stitches.

Thanks for the education - I did try to learn a bit of Gaelic a few years back, but fell at the pronounciation hurdle!