Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]  (Read 13853 times)

Krakajac

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones: the last series
« Reply #75 on: 30 April, 2019, 08:18:35 am »
I missed the 'modify post' window of opportunity.  ;)

I'm wondering whether a certain Bravosi swordsman might show up in the last three episodes.  He wasn't seen to die on screen - nor was there any specific description of his death in the book.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 30 April, 2019, 08:47:08 am »
I thought it was incrdible and in fact it was so tense and exciting that I was relieved when the ad breaks allowed me to take a breather and make a cuppa!
It was really interesting to see Dany so out of her depth. Maybe she won't be quite so keen to rul the north after all.
A good showing for the Lord of Light too - I wonder if Arya and Davos are going to get all religious?
I wish All Bran would so something other than sit about acting mysterious though.

sheridan

• View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #79 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:19:37 am »
He wasn't seen to die on screen - nor was there any specific description of his death in the book.

I'm also hoping for a reappearance from said personage.

JamesC

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:20:55 am »
I think someone would complain about however the Night King was killed and about whoever killed him. All I can say is, it worked for me.

Link Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:55:01 am »
Season 8 / Episode 3 episode had some cool moments for sure (from what I could actually discern on a 55" HD TV anyway), but it was a bit of a shark jump for me.

My reading of 'Game of Thrones' has always been in the description- a frivolous game played by narcissistic mortals, but ultimately irrelevant to the millennia old threat beyond the wall, now making it's play (backed up by the onset of a severe ice-age).
That has been the underlying narrative, as the viewer was made aware in the first few minutes of the first scene almost 10 years ago.

That threat was summarily negated in this episode, over the course of mere hours, with relatively little cost to mankind (or the main cast) and with a completely unsatisfying one-punch kill.

Whats next for A Song of Curry and Rice?
Our heroes take on Cersei and Pop-Up Pirate (who joined the cast 20 minutes ago) then have a final kerfuffle among themselves over who gets to sit on the melted swords?
Underwhelming.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #82 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:18:15 am »
That threat was summarily negated in this episode, over the course of mere hours, with relatively little cost to mankind (or the main cast) and with a completely unsatisfying one-punch kill.

GRRM has always been very clear that he is more interested in human-scale evil than Sauron-level Dark Lordery. The threat of the Night King, IMO, existed primarily to demonstrate the shallowness, lack of foresight and narrowness of focus of the human characters. Having set it up, you can't then not resolve this plotline but how invested in seeing the Night King brought down were we really? It's not like the series has expended several seasons making us hate him, the way we hated Ramsey.

The real villain of the piece is Cersei, now without restraint surrounded as she is only by hired muscle, a half-zombie bodyguard and a creepy yes-man. Meanwhile, the 'good guys' have made themselves perilously vulnerable by paying the price for doing the right thing.

If this isn't all the major themes of the series going back to the first season writ large, then I don't know what is.

PS: Pirate Rufus Hound is fucking annoying, though. Possibly the worst character in the whole series, for my money.

PPS: Appeal to a friendly mod… is there any chance of adding "SPOILERS" to the thread title so we can make posts to it a little less Mueller-Reporty…?

Link Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:38:32 am »
how invested in seeing the Night King brought down were we really? It's not like the series has expended several seasons making us hate him, the way we hated Ramsey.

I wasn't particularity invested in the Night King as a character, and one could argue that there wasn't enough substance to actually consider him a main character.
More so the idea that the Army of the Dead was a force of nature itself - it's objective to wipe humanity from the face of the planet.

It carries a bit more weight than a finale featuring a sword fight with crazy-eyed Rufus Hound (nice comparison).

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #84 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:50:06 am »
It carries a bit more weight than a finale featuring a sword fight with crazy-eyed Rufus Hound (nice comparison).

There's a lot unresolved Lannister/Lannister and Lannister/Stark business to wrap up, I have a feeling that the Clegane brothers' reunion is going to put every one-on-one fight up until now to shame in the brutality stakes, and I remain convinced that Danaerys is going to turn out to be as mad as her dad and, possibly, that Tyrion is going to have to learn the same lesson as his brother about breaking oaths made to monarchs.

PS: Thanks to whoever on the mod team fixed the thread title!

Bolt-01

• Global Moderator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • It ain't called ZARJAZ fer nuthin'!
    • View Profile
    • FutureQuake Press
Re: Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]
« Reply #85 on: 30 April, 2019, 10:56:24 am »
De Nada.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
"I can't believe Arya killed the Night King — she's a complete Mary Sue"

When I hear the term "Mary Sue", I just assume that the author of the comment doesn't like female characters that do things.

As you say, her building abilities have been foreshadowed pretty much since we first met her.
fate amenable to change

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:55:57 pm »
++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

I'm wondering about where Bran went during the battle.  Was that just something that ended up on the cutting room floor, or was there some relevance to his warging?  Did he know he wasn't going to die?
fate amenable to change

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:58:07 pm »
++SPOILERS IN THE OPEN++

I'm wondering about where Bran went during the battle.  Was that just something that ended up on the cutting room floor, or was there some relevance to his warging?  Did he know he wasn't going to die?
That's the biggest outstanding mystery to me as well. We assumed he was off somewhere to mess with the Night King. The POV raven flock sequence was very cool, but if there were any clues in the geography, it was all too blurry on Sky for me to make out.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery