Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Enjoyed the episode but as Funt said a lot of stupidity around
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 May, 2019, 05:32:13 PM
Wasn't Mance Rayder's entire scheme about finding somewhere to live south of the wall?  It didn't seem to have much to do with the threat of the White Walkers.

No. It was explicitly because if they stayed north of the wall, the White Walkers would kill them all.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Edit: actually, I just Googled it and it turns out that Mance's motivation may have been the coming winter and the danger of the Walkers - so there is some sense that with the double threat lifted, the Wildlings might want to go back home.

*cough*
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

That said, somehow this episode felt like a sharp turn into the nasty mean-spiritedness of Millar's Icon-published Kick Ass, where misery is visited with almost sadistic glee on the supporting cast just to ratchet up the 'stakes' and which, for me, rendered that work an unappealing morass of violent revenge fantasy.

Also: Pirate Rufus Hound has been a terrible character since his inception. For all that Ramsey was a pantomime villain, we kind of understood of his roots as the bastard son of a House Lord, the ambition, the ruthlessness, the sadism ... it all kind of made sense, even if it was a bit much. Euron, though...? Worst character in the entire series, which makes it unfortunate that they're hanging so much on him.

A borderline shark-jumpy for me, this episode.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 May, 2019, 09:00:30 PM
Edit: actually, I just Googled it and it turns out that Mance's motivation may have been the coming winter and the danger of the Walkers - so there is some sense that with the double threat lifted, the Wildlings might want to go back home.

*cough*

Well, clearly I wasn't replying to your edited post, because that wasn't the text I quoted. FFS.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 May, 2019, 09:33:23 PM
Okay.  [Backs out of room slowly.]

Huh. Yeah. I should have refreshed that page before I replied. Fair enough — my apologies for being so stroppy.

radiator

Quote"Was the ancient ice demon apocalypse just a warm up for the real war against a drunk queen and her pal, the horny pirate?"

Everything I liked and didn't like about last week's The Long Night episode in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/fwWqI4AJLmY

Btw in case you're not familiar with his work, Alt Shift X is an Aussie youtuber who makes very accomplished episode recaps and video essays breaking down all the major fan theories related to the show and books. His analysis is generally very astute and unlike a lot of online 'critics' his content is hyperbole-free; he very rarely editorialises and his videos always maintain a relaxed, neutral tone. I think this episode may have broken him, though - you can kind of hear the exasperation and disbelief in his voice at times.

wedgeski

Plenty to enjoy in that one, but holy fork, could they make Euron any more annoying? Now he's stealthed an entire fleet of dragon-killing ships in a rocky cove. I will enjoy his inevitable death, but he should be studied by future TV writers as an example of what not to do with a late-comer in a long-established character drama.

Why not just kill the second dragon in the battle against the Night King? Why not have Drogon race to kill his brother (sister?) before the Night King could raise a second dracolich? If they were going for a curve-ball, they missed the mark. It has a whiff of last-minute change about it, IMO.

All that said, they are handling the escalating tensions between our heroes very nicely, demonstrating that the writers are still mostly in firm control of the arc. The last-chance face-off at the gates of Kings Landing was a gripping prologue to what I assume will be carnage next week.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 May, 2019, 09:17:44 AMcould they make Euron any more annoying? Now he's stealthed an entire fleet of dragon-killing ships in a rocky cove. I will enjoy his inevitable death
It won't happen, but I'd rather like to see a seriously injured Rhaegal (who Euron said he saw sink between the waves) rock up and bite off Euron's face. He's such a shit villain – almost panto villain. (macOS autocorrect wanted to change that to 'pants villain', which is rather apt.)

Funt Solo

Quote from: radiator on 06 May, 2019, 11:01:33 PM
Everything I liked and didn't like about last week's The Long Night episode in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/fwWqI4AJLmY

Thanks for posting that: I'd forgotten about how weird it was to have the trebuchets out front of the troops, and the trench line between the troops and the castle.  It sort of worked for the narrative structure, but it didn't seem sensible as a military tactic.

Mind you: how does one fight an army of unstoppable undead killing machines?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

Just caught up. Silly beyond words. Evidently we should stop letting white men have sole charge of fantasy series.

JayzusB.Christ

For me, GoT is still some of the best TV I've ever seen, and definitely the most visually spectacular. As I've said on another thread, I think the quality of modern TV has us spoiled.  I love you guys but I think I'll stay away from this thread for a while and just be glad I was there for an amazing show that will go down in entertainment history. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

I suspect timings are the main problem. Someone noted the series has stripped out second acts now the series have got shorter. So there's no way of telling – and no sense of – time passing. It's all set-up/resolution.

I'm still enjoying the show, even if some things are nonsensical. (Dany: do a wide arc with the dragon and burn that Fleet from behind!) And it's certainly not boring.

sheridan

Quote from: Dudley on 07 May, 2019, 08:58:37 PM
Just caught up. Silly beyond words. Evidently we should stop letting white men have sole charge of fantasy series.

What do colour and gender have to do with it?