Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

To be fair, that is not a completely unreasonable (albeit incorrectly phrased) question.  There are enough gamers on this site to be able corroborate this.

That said, I have had a pupil ask me how many sides there were on a six sided die in the past.   :o

Apestrife

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 February, 2019, 04:54:53 PM
To be fair, that is not a completely unreasonable (albeit incorrectly phrased) question.  There are enough gamers on this site to be able corroborate this.

That said, I have had a pupil ask me how many sides there were on a six sided die in the past.   :o

You're right. (even if it's not that long ago I actually saw a dice which had anything other than six sides to it)

But the dice in question was a six sided one. But when I think of it, said student wasn't the best when it came to maths. So I wouldn't put emphasis on "stupid".

Haha, and the answer to that was?  :lol:

Rackle

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 February, 2019, 04:26:34 PM
Once upon a time in a math class during a test, a classmate asked out teacher: "How many sides does a dice have?".

Our teacher said she refused to answer that.
She should have told him to roll for knowledge check (using a D20) ;)

Apestrife

Quote from: Rackle on 09 February, 2019, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 09 February, 2019, 04:26:34 PM
Once upon a time in a math class during a test, a classmate asked out teacher: "How many sides does a dice have?".

Our teacher said she refused to answer that.
She should have told him to roll for knowledge check (using a D20) ;)

If we only were that clever. Can be said that where I grew up Ludo was the norm when it came to table top gaming ;)

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 October, 2004, 03:47:14 AM
Taking the topic on a tangent:

A newly qualified nurse was sent over to our stores today for a set of Fallopian tubes. :)

Cue hilarity and laughter.

Bolt-01

That's scary - not somebody just starting a nursing course, but somebody who has actually qualified!

Tjm86

paddykafka

A neighbour's girl-friend was astounded to discover that there were "...Homosexuals going back as far as the 18th Century

Mardroid

I overheard a lady at work saying she wasn't keen on pork because it tasted too much of pig.

To be fair, she isn't stupid at all, (and I kind of get what she means.), but she comes out with amusing things.

M.I.K.

Three examples of what is technically ignorance rather than stupidity, all uttered by people in their fifties, all within the past few years...

Example one : I was having a conversation with someone I was volunteering alongside in a charity shop when I somehow got onto the subject of meteors and comets.

"Yeah, what are they? I mean, where do they come from?" asks co-worker bloke. It transpired that he wasn't just wondering about their chemical makeup but had absolutely no clue about them whatsoever. When I told them they originated from outer space he went "Do they?" with genuine surprise.

Example two : I was talking to a neighbour who'd lived in the area for over a decade, when I made some mention of the "monument" down the road.

"Aye, what is that thing exactly?", enquires she.

The monument is a war memorial. It is very obviously a war memorial. It looks identical to thousands of other war memorials dotted up and down the British countryside. It has a wreath of poppies placed upon it every year. She drives past it every single day. When she asked the question it had poppies on it.

Example three : A couple of weeks ago, my brother and I were out for a walk when a local farmer stopped his vehicle to talk to us. The conversation somehow moved on to the time my brother was volunteering in Greece moving baby chameleons from one area to another, away from a busy road.

"What are chameleons?", asks the farmer.

Richard

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Someone on the phone trying to convince me why Boris and Britain had been doing "incredibly well" during the Covid crisis.

I pointed out that (at the time of speaking) only 21 people had died in New Zealand as opposed to umpteen tens of thousands here.
"You can't compare us with New Zealand. Nobody wants to go to New Zealand."
So what about Japan? I protested.
"Nobody in Japan shakes hands. We shake hands. We're friendlier. You can't compare."
Germany then? I suggested.
"You can't compare the British with the Germans."
Unable to respond to this telling argument I then suggested that perhaps our excess deaths had been worryingly high.
"But that's because we haven't had a flu outbreak this winter. So those statistics are meaningless."

So get your logical chops round that.
And I'm sorry to say both that the above conversation really did happen and also that, outside our echo chamber, it really is reflective of some very widely held views.

There is no hope.

Funt Solo

I've been hoping that Covid could magically just kill all the idiots as they breathe stupidly in each others' faces whilst ranting about how masks are an impingement of their human rights.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

It's not just Britain and such. I had a conversation with an old dear from Denmark who steadfastly refuses to wear a mask. She said it was not a big deal and when I mentioned the dreadful death toll she said that was 'just statistics'. Her granddaughter was standing next to her and I said if your granddaughter had died I doubt you'd be saying that it was just a statistic.

There are idiots everywhere.

Tjm86

Quote from: von Boom on 19 July, 2020, 10:17:20 PM
Her granddaughter was standing next to her and I said if your granddaughter had died I doubt you'd be saying that it was just a statistic.

Well, if Stalin is to be believed you'd need 999, 999 more deaths for that ...

paddykafka

Wasn't actually said to me - I heard this one on the radio - but it was too good not to mention. A woman was talking about a friend of hers who thought she might be pregnant. Wanting to be a good, supportive friend, she bought four pregnancy test kits just to be certain. All four tests proved to be positive. Her friend burst into tears when the fourth test proved conclusively that she was indeed pregnant. The lady was somewhat confused at this reaction, considering that her friend and the husband had been actively trying to conceive.

"I know," said her friend. "But how will myself and the husband be able to afford to raise four children?"