Main Menu

E3 Follow-up - PS3 to launch at ?425 in the UK

Started by The Amstor Computer, 18 May, 2006, 10:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Biff! I think I said between ?400-500, so it looks like I was pretty close this time. No word yet on whether this will be the crippled version or the full package, but I'm guessing this is the cut-down edition (smaller HDD, no HDMI out, no wireless built-in).

So, looks like around ?500 to pick up a PS3, plus a spare controller and one game. Erk.

Sony Suit Says:

Sony Computer Entertainment UK MD Ray Maguire has revealed that PlayStation 3 will retail for GBP 425 when it launches in the UK on November 17th, but has defended the price point as "a bargain" for consumers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17105">Full story here

Just for comparison, the US launch price is $499 and $599 for the crippled & full pack respectively - at current exchange rates, the UK price works out at something like $780!

IMO, both Microsoft and Nintendo have been handed a golden opportunity to tear into Sony's marketshare with this price point - having a less expensive, maturing console that offers a range of similar functions & is capable of games of comparable quality, together with a brand-new, cheap system that offers a revolutionary way of interacting with games both on the market at the same time... I would be very surprised if this didn't have some impact when consumers are presented with these options vs. the PS3.

IndigoPrime

Wow! What a bargain!* I'll be sure to rush out and buy one** when it's released!

* Not a bargain.
** I'll be sure to ignore it entirely.

Megadeth

I've heard that Gamestation are warning people to expect the games to come in at between ?55-?65!!!

Satanist

Well I got a PS2 on launch. The first time I ever bought a console on its release and the last. The launch line ups usually consist of updated ports of last gen games and it takes about a year for the good stuff to arrive.

Wii + ?150 price = chrimbo pressie to me just for Zelda.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?