Main Menu

Current Population of Mega City One...?

Started by El Spurioso, 24 October, 2007, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

I suspect there will be a big influx of migrants now. Helltreckers returning, mutants if the laws are repealed, even off world and from other Mega cities. Let's face it, there are going to be whole blocks of lux pads vacant. I was thinking about shrinking the borders too, would that be practical? I assume there will be lots of both industrial and commercial property that won't want to up sticks

Tombo

I was re-reading Origins the other night and I was wondering, do you think the judges will have a re-think of old Judds idea about cloning citizens.  It might take a while but it's one way of building up the population.

Bat King

Insurrection takes over MC1...

Uplifts and robots get full citizenship, SJS disbanded. Free and open elections with a Democratic Govt replacing Council of Five.

[spoiler]Or maybe not.[/spoiler]
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tombo on 29 June, 2012, 01:58:22 PM
I was re-reading Origins the other night and I was wondering, do you think the judges will have a re-think of old Judds idea about cloning citizens.  It might take a while but it's one way of building up the population.

I don't think increasing population would be the best idea in the circumstances.

Tombo

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 June, 2012, 02:37:08 PM
Quote from: Tombo on 29 June, 2012, 01:58:22 PM

I don't think increasing population would be the best idea in the circumstances.

Why not?  More Cits means more people to tax, more potential recruits for the Department, more people for R&D work and other jobs droids can't do.  Granted there'd be more perps as well but those Judges need something to do between giving out parking tickets.

A.Cow

Quote from: Tombo on 29 June, 2012, 09:29:37 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 June, 2012, 02:37:08 PM
Why not?  More Cits means more people to tax, more potential recruits for the Department, more people for R&D work and other jobs droids can't do.  Granted there'd be more perps as well but those Judges need something to do between giving out parking tickets.

Erm ... what exactly would you be taxing?  Certainly not their income, as the majority are unemployed.

You could apply a hefty sales tax to whatever they purchase with their welfare money, but you're simply giving it out with one hand and taking it back with the other -- a level of inefficiency that even an MC-1 bureaucrat would baulk at.

WhitBloke

Which takes us from Bob's Third Law ("What justice department giveth...") to Bob's Fourth Law.  Keep what money there is moving fast enough and people are stupid enough to happily believe there's lots of it around, keep on spending, keep on borrowing, keep on lending.
Mind you, with far fewer mega-citizens around to spend what money they (don't) have and a production base crippled by riots, fires and so on, perhaps Judge Dredd'll be visiting the problem of a catastrophic economic slow-down in the coming months.  (Won't that be fun to watch...)

Now might be a good time for anybody with investment credits to spare to make an offer to a cash-strapped Justice Department for Gunge Foods since those same daft Department bureaucrats mentioned might just be stupid and panicked enough to sell it for less than it's worth after buying it for a song under McGruder.

After all, and I do admit to smirking as I type this, fifty million cits've still gotta eat shit in the Big Meg.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Frank

Quote from: WhitBloke on 30 June, 2012, 10:29:31 AM
Which takes us from Bob's Third Law ("What justice department giveth...") to Bob's Fourth Law.  Keep what money there is moving fast enough and people are stupid enough to happily believe there's lots of it around, keep on spending, keep on borrowing, keep on lending.

Mind you, with far fewer mega-citizens around to spend what money they (don't) have and a production base crippled by riots, fires and so on, perhaps Judge Dredd'll be visiting the problem of a catastrophic economic slow-down in the coming months.  (Won't that be fun to watch...)

Now might be a good time for anybody with investment credits to spare to make an offer to a cash-strapped Justice Department for Gunge Foods since those same daft Department bureaucrats mentioned might just be stupid and panicked enough to sell it for less than it's worth after buying it for a song under McGruder.

Blackmocco's got 50 creds just lying around.

WhitBloke

Yeah?  Fifty's practically minted these days.  Get in quick, Blackmocco, they might throw in the White Cliffs of Dover!
So this is der place then, Johnny?

The Enigmatic Dr X

S'gonna be a bit less when the Dark Judges roll into town after Christmas.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

How about the citz below ground and the Trogies get citzhoodship? If its good enough for Muties...
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

And it has now been established in the current storyline that many have sought refuge in the undercity from DOC. This may mean that a large influx of cits may repopulate the city giving us a larger number thus making the current population total void.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

sheridan

Seeing as it comes up in other threads every now and then...
Judge Dredd Megazine 417, Sector Control. 
2000AD Prog 2172, Tharg's Nerve Centre.
Mega-City One, 2142 AD, population over 140 million citizens.

The Enigmatic Dr X

A nercopost, yes. And apologies.

But I was explaining to my wife tonight why this board is awesome and yet old fashioned. I searched for this thread to make my case.

This thread is, next to Thread Zero, my favourite. And those who remember Thread Zero are few and far between. Not that it ever existed...
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 January, 2023, 10:48:34 PM
And those who remember Thread Zero are few and far between. Not that it ever existed...

There is no Thread Zero. There never was. There are no black helicopters. Please remain in your home, Dr X — no one will be calling.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.