Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 257123 times)

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2490 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »
Batman Damned #3 by Brian Azzarello Lee Bermejo
I won't say "hot damn" when it comes to this 3 part, but I really enjoyed it. Feels like it'll grow more on to me as I'll let it sink in. At the moment I feel it's a bit too pulpy to reach the same heights as Azz and Bermejo's Luthor and Joker.

Otherwise not what I expected, in a really cool and good way. Lots of celibration of Bat-mythology wrapped up in what feels like a David Lynch-esque take on a Justice League DARK meets Dante's inferno. Has some really interesting moments which really grabbed me, especially the way Batman fights to gain control and ironically because of it loosing it. Especially when it comes to his fear and shame.

Overall. A worthy semi-sequel to Joker. A book I'll soon reread followed by Batman Damned #1-3 :)

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:04:13 pm »
Nice haul finally getting around to reviewing.

Only Assassin Nation 4 is anything like a let down and thats only cos its not as great as the other things I've read by Kyle Starks. Still its pretty good.

Some new comics starting well. Lois Lane 1 doesn't quite get going but it sets enough but to colour me interested. The Weather Man 1 gets us back up to speed and into something new. Glad to have this back.

James Bond 8 gets the story moving on well. Immortal Hulk 20 is great and has a great ending. Heaven to hell in this one. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 44 is a fantastic one shot story and Dick Tracey Forever 3 moves us to modern day really well and then teases us quite brillantly with a future to come.

Pick of the bunch is almost Black Hammer -Age of Doom 11, ably backed up by The World of Black Hammer Encyclopedia which is just glorious BUT not quite as good as the hilarious and wonderful The Goon 3. Eric Powell is just on fire these days and this is so much fun.

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:01:24 am »
The league of extraordinary gentlemen: The tempest #6 by Al and Kev. Anyone else who read this? Feels like they snuck each issue out as quietly one could.

I read it as a little good bye letter from Alan. I'm still lost on the english super hero stuff, but I think I understood most of the main yarn. Had a couple of good moments. A bit of an experience in itself having to google the endings song lyrics only to find they came from the vinyl record Moore wanted released with the black dossier.

Looking forward for a re read once Tempest is collected as a book :)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: Today at 11:18:41 am »
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #6 by Al and Kev.

Nice to know the greats still occasionally think of us, even if the supposed 2000ad theme of the issue only really found expression in the funny credit card spoofs*, reflecting O'Neill's disruptive influence on the UK comic industry and maybe that the Galaxy's Greatest exercises more of a hold on the imagination of one half of the partnership than the other.

Laughin' Al's latest retirement earned a (deserved) eulogy in The Guardian but even if this really was the Magus's last wave of the wand the much more certain prospect that this is the last time Kev O'Neill will draw one picture that's followed by another picture seems more of a loss, to me.

There are lots of people pretending to be Alan Moore, but O'Neill's decomposing corpus leaves only a faint whiff. Although I enjoyed every panel, The League was an odd way for Moore to spend the latter half of his career. For me, it made most sense as a way of keeping the Kev coming once Marshal Law dried up.

Interesting that Moore seemed to end on a similar conclusion to the one his nemesis, Morrison, reached in the nineties - that there's no money to be made in comics that aren't American and don't feature superheroes**

That one genius surrendered to reality and the other found the only creator more inimical to the US comic industry than him then spent two decades making a comic whose thesis was that almost everything that's ever seen print is more interesting than US superhero comics says much about all three. Bye, lads.

* Anal Romeo and Evil Ink (LON)

** Morrison framed it as superhero comics just being somehow more interesting, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be writing The Invisibles and The Filth today if DC were offering the same money he gets for wracking his brain to find anything else to do with Bruce Wayne

dweezil2

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Credit Cards Accepted.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2494 on: Today at 01:59:24 pm »
You've got me thinking there Frank and I think you've hit the nail on the head why I dislike, and by extension resent, our great UK artists and writers working on superhero comics.

Being forced to work on bland, culturally imperialistic dreck and prostrate themselves to Marvel and DC because there isn't an appetite for anything that doesn't wear a cape has never say easy with me.

At least we have the likes of Pat Mills and other 2000AD alumni sticking there fingers up to the establishment and the big two.  :)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: Today at 04:05:16 pm »
Interesting that Moore seemed to end on a similar conclusion to the one his nemesis, Morrison, reached in the nineties - that there's no money to be made in comics that aren't American and don't feature superheroes

Being forced to work on bland, culturally imperialistic dreck and prostrate themselves to Marvel and DC because there isn't an appetite for anything that doesn't wear a cape has never sat easy with me.

Just to forestall any drama, yes, of course there are lots of very good superhero comics - especially the ones you really like. Moore clearly thinks so too, or he wouldn't have imitated so many of them.

Moore tells the same story as every other nerd a decade or two older than us, of discovering Marvel comics just as familiarity was breeding disinterest in the antics of the Bash St Kids and having his brain reconfigured while it was still in the plastic state of adolescence.

He thinks those comics are literally Fantastic. What gets his formidable goat is the monoculture created A/ AS AN INEVITABLE CONSEQUENCE OF THE SHRINKING READERSHIP   or  B/ BY THE SELF-DEFEATING ACTIONS OF LAZY, CYNICAL PUBLISHERS   (delete as applicable)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: Today at 04:25:02 pm »
There are lots of people pretending to be Alan Moore, but O'Neill's decomposing corpus leaves only a faint whiff. Although I enjoyed every panel, The League was an odd way for Moore to spend the latter half of his career. For me, it made most sense as a way of keeping the Kev coming once Marshal Law dried up.

I think this is a canny analysis - Moore actually spent most of the latter part of his career writing Jerusalem, for which I am very grateful - and while he has quite a bit of interest on display in LoEG, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Kev drove the partnership. It's certainly a different beast to other late Moore comics like Neoomicon and Crossed 100.

And yeah, while Big Hairy Al is the main reason I fell in love with 2000AD, bought my first DC comic, and innumerable comics since, the idea of no more Kevin O'Neill is hard to face. They only made one of that guy: one of vanishingly few artists that i can hinestly say I would instantly buy any book with his name on the cover.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:27:05 pm by TordelBack »