Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyone reading?  (Read 453884 times)

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Reply #6330 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:46:26 pm »
Ditched the pull-list over a year ago now (time/storage/Hachette considerations...) but picked up some library goodness the other day. This may be the future! Reading in collected form clarifies most things and these picked up exactly where I jumped off:

Black Hammer vol. 2
I can't get over the perfect moodiness of Ormston's art, it's scratchy yet considered. Then LeMire's sci-fi soap opera is a great mix of genres. As per Sweer Tooth above, he tells them so well.

Kill Or Be Killed vol. 2
Like The Fade-Out, just sublime. The setup is a stretch of course (demons?-() but the execution is the usual standard from Brubaker/Phillips. Maybe that demon will prove to be less tangible as it continues.

Low vol. 4
Has a lot going for it but a bit repetitive to enjoy thoroughly. Action-packed but often hard to discern what's going on. I'm a lingerer when it comes to art this detailed  so maybe no bad thing. Remender was writing more books all the time, last time I looked. Wonder if he kept that up? Hm, think I'll hit Google.

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »
Girl with All the Gifts is a great book though.

I've plowed my way through a bunch of Tim Curran books, wanting a bit of Weird West after watching Godless. Skin Medicine was alright but pretty flimsy, then I read Skull Moon - which was like the same book, written years before, in a much, much better way.

I've since moved on to The Black Company, a fantasy series that had been on my radar for years. A mercenary company that works for the Dark Lord (Lady) rather than a bunch of goodies? Yeah, could be good. But my appetite for fantasy fiction has dimmed even as my love for D&D etc has risen. However, the Black Company is so far really good fun with a right group of bar stewards. A nice precursor to Joe Abercrombie.

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: 07 March, 2018, 11:44:46 pm »
HUSH: Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, Scott Williamson, Alex Sinclair.

A muscular romp through a cavalcade of Bat villains.
Does the story make sense? Not really.
Are there great scenes? Some but so much of it seems forced together.
Zingy dialogue? Not really.
Top detecting? Sort of. But it's mainly fights and top tarts in tight tops.
Gorgeous art? Lee is a bit marmite but I like marmite. Actually, he's more cheesecake than marmite. And I know I shouldn't but I like cheesecake too.

Did I enjoy it? Oddly... Yes, I did.

Some of the art on mutating Killer Croc reminded me very much of our own Ron Smith.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: 22 March, 2018, 07:54:36 pm »
Grendel Tales v2.Macan's story is once again the best one,thou all in  all,this was a better volume then the first one.
Digging Byrnes Fantastic Four so far.His Doom is the only Doom.