Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyone reading?  (Read 558779 times)

titchard

• Mek-Quakes Leftovers
    • View Profile
Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Reply #6450 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:06:13 am »
Just finished Dome, some brilliantly trashy sci-fi pulp novel I picked up for this massive second hand book store near me for £1.  The cover alone had me with it's tagline of "Read it while it's still fiction!".

It was pretty trashy but the chap (who's name escapes me) must have had some knowledge of how nuclear power worked as it seemed pretty sound in that respect.  Definitely a churn'em'out pulp novel from the 1970s though,  as it was riddled with spelling errors.

Gotta love a good pulpy novel from time to time!

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:09:58 am »
Before Watchmen: Comedian/Rorschach & Watchmen
The Comedian puts a spin on his joke "--don't ask me where I was when JFK got shot". The story feels like James Ellroy's American Tabloid and Cold Six Thousand centered around a "reverse" Forresten Gump. I quite enjoy the story. It's really brutal. Only wish it did more to tie things together visually. Bit like Blake's fall in the main book. Coming into the picture when need be. The Before Watchmen Comedian has quite a couple of really cool scenes visually which would'v worked. Which could'v served as a nice little nod towards the scene where Blake realises Gordon Liddy (to me this is the spin on the joke, also how Veidt's idea Blake met Nixon in Dallas) could'v been mistaken for him. Comedian's relationship with the both Kennedys could'v also been a bit more passionate I think. While there are bits, and the last chapter delivers, I feel the story is missing out on by beating the reader on the head with shock rather than a bit of heart first.

Then there's Rorschach. To me basically a harmless litte nugget of a story with Rorschach sweating out the last drops of Kovacs (who serves a manifestation of "victim" in him.).  I feel it's borrowing more from Mean Streets rather than Taxi Driver. It does some fun stuff with identity, but could'v given it more focus. The disfiguered Rawhead getting carried away about Rorschach face/mask was a nice touch, but I feel hints of overlap between Rorschach and the unknown serial killer The bard could'v used more focus. Instead the story wastes time crossing the creek to get water setting Rorschach and Rawhead up on a crash course. While I enjoyed how that ended, it didn't two convoluted plans of "Jumping the "hero" while he's looking for the villian" in succession. But I like how it ends. A bit more grounded than the usual affair, and then it jumps forward and into a couple of pages with much more of a Watchmen flair to them. 9 panels, writing on paper instead of on a type writer and Rorschach tonally more close (as in closer to the edge) to the one in Watchmen. I think when he says"Difficult circumstance, when own reflection not how you see yourself. But how you see others." about New Yorkers without a hint of self reflection stitches things together nicely (I especially like that quote of his), but I feel it could'v used stronger thread.

In a nutshell, I don't mind these two and some of the other Before Watchmen existing. But I fully understand those who don't like them at all.

And what about Watchmen? Been a while since I last read it. A bit more wordy than I remember, and some of the characters didn't grab me as they once did. But still a classic. Great book which I hope everyone gives a go. Especially those doubting the meaning of reading.
I really like it how well it manages to setting up the doom and gloom of the US and Soviet on a crash course, and it's effects on people. You don't need to be an 80s child or do research to get it. Much why I think it holds up so well. I almost wrote "still holds up well", but if it did when I first read it (around 2000 I think) it should also (go without writing) now. It's a big book, which makes the question "what do you think of it" even bigger, and perhaps the answer as well. And I think Rorschach is my answer. He is my favorite character in the book. He sure is in a dark place, but his small moments of humanity, when for example leaving off his land lord lady in order to spare her children, or taking of his mask when confronting Dr Manhattan (you know exactly what I mean) really shines thanks to it. Bit like how Sally Jupiter puts it about thinking back about the past, the darker it gets the brighter it shines. Which I still carry with me after reading the book. Further emphasized by Dr Manhattan's realisation about humans being miracles, and seeing to many of them can make you forget. Ugly but lovely stuff. And I like that alot of the characters have a similar arc through out the book, ending on an opposite note than where started. As does the story, even if one of it's victims being the truth, going from doom to bloom.
Just a shame lots of the stories inspired by it didn't found that bit much inspiring. Getting blinded by the darkness of it all instead. The only book I can think of is Planetary which let Utopia come. Wish more of them did. But luckily none of that casts shadow on the book. It's too high up for me.
« Last Edit: 09 February, 2019, 11:14:53 am by Apestrife »

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: 09 February, 2019, 11:33:17 am »
Ugly but lovely stuff. And I like that alot of the characters have a similar arc through out the book, ending on an opposite note than where started. As does the story, even if one of it's victims being the truth, going from doom to bloom.

I'd like to mention that I think it's interesting how easy it is to forget that bad often came before good. I don't think evil necessarily must come before good or something. I don't think everything needs Kintsugi.

Just a shame lots of the stories inspired by it didn't found that bit much inspiring. Getting blinded by the darkness of it all instead. The only book I can think of is Planetary which let Utopia come. Wish more of them did. But luckily none of that casts shadow on the book. It's too high up for me.

I could'v probably ended that on something similar to the thing Sally says in the book, about burning brighter.

That said, now I'm on to reading all of League of extraordinary gentlemen up to the latest issue of Tempest. Tada!
« Last Edit: 09 February, 2019, 11:35:40 am by Apestrife »

von Boom

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: 09 February, 2019, 12:12:10 pm »
Just begun Alan Moore's massive tome Jerusalem. I always enjoy Moore's special brand of madness.

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: 09 February, 2019, 04:34:16 pm »
Just begun Alan Moore's massive tome Jerusalem. I always enjoy Moore's special brand of madness.

That's literally a big one on the reading list :)

The Adventurer

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: 09 February, 2019, 05:38:11 pm »
Current graphic novel reading list..

Sandman Mystery Theater Book 02
Spector (1992) Book 02
Invaders Complete Collection 01
Avengers Epic Collection: Operation Galactic Storm
Books of Magic (ongoing series) Book 1
Mage Hero Denied Vol.01
Swords of the Swashbucklers Complete Collection

Oh. And I’m planning to renew my Marvel Unlimited subscription so I can read every appearance of the original Squadron Supreme.
« Last Edit: 09 February, 2019, 05:40:50 pm by The Adventurer »

Notable Comics dropping the Week of 01-02-13

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: 10 February, 2019, 07:14:09 am »
Enjoy Mage Hero Denied - its bloomin' superb.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6457 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:21:25 am »
Enjoy Mage Hero Denied - its bloomin' superb.
Seconded. It's another Matt Wagner masterpiece...

...Jovus I need to start posting in the Comics Megathread again now my pull list and time to read comics has increased.