Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 July, 2023, 07:30:55 PMPlastic-Eating Enzyme Could Eliminate Billions of tons of Landfill Waste. (From 2022.)

As someone who just got done binging Doomwatch, the very first episode of which dealing with the consequences of such an organism running riot, i am singularly in awe at it's ability and reasonably concerned about it's other applications.

JohnW

May I refer my learned friends to The Great Plasteen Disaster?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

Heh, I was thinking that as I posted it. Science has always been a double-edged sword and often opens nightmarish doors. Remember the Grey Goo? (The Grey Goo scenario is a hypothetical situation involving self-replicating nanobots that consume all matter on Earth while creating copies of themselves, resulting in the complete destruction of all life and the planet. It is considered a potential danger of advanced nanotechnology. This concept originated in a 1986 article by physicist K. Eric Drexler, who discussed the potential risks of unchecked self-replication in nanotechnology, it says here...)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I wouldn't say drokkin fantastic, but this is the first day I've had this week where I wasn't riddled with anxiety as a result of my own daft actions.

See, this day last week I was pulled over for a broken motorbike tail light that I didn't know I had. The old bill very quickly saw on their smartphones, no less,  that i wasn't taxed either and quite properly seized my bike and demanded that I show my licence in a Garda Station within ten days.

I got home to realise my licence was missing and there was no way I could replace it before the deadline. So I ordered a new one anyway and spent a week fretting as I opened an empty postbox day after day. Monday would have been that deadline but it's a bank holiday, meaning no post,meaning the ship has already sailed.

Today a mate very kindly offered to tow my bike out of the compound. While he did so, the people who worked there called the garda who had stopped me. I asked to speak to him - he was very friendly and didn't hesitate to extend my deadline.

So I'm not going to court after all and I have my lawmaster back and all is good in my canalside cabin (Apart from the massive fees involved and the fines I will soon have to pay, but that's another story.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Fuck, wrong thread. That was for the LIFE is fantastic one.  Mods?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"