Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IX  (Read 15749 times)

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #270 on: 17 July, 2019, 11:34:58 am »
People paying the makers of the videos understandably want more content - not less - for their money.
Then people are idiots. I want better content, not for my time to be wasted.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #271 on: 17 July, 2019, 12:26:34 pm »
Fredrick Knudsen's Down The Rabbit Hole is one of the best series of Youtube, and he only publishes one episode every 2 months, and makes about £4200 on patreon in that time. The fact his videos are equal if not superior to most Netflix documentaries is why people are happy to support him in spite of relatively low output.

Youtubes business model supports quantity over quality, something most quality creatives can't or won't provide. Youtube execs can fuck off.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 17 July, 2019, 01:20:46 pm »
I feel strongly the opposite - podcasts shorter than 25 minutes to me seem almost pointless.

Yup. 60-90 mins is the sweet spot for me, since that's the length of my average drive, train commute or walk. Farting about changing episodes on the hoof irritates me, unless there's a story told through an episodic structure (Serial, Polybius Conspiracy) or a really focused weekly topic that gets done (Motherfocloir).  Should be said that my favourite pods are either rambling interviews which often can't be long enough (Adam Buxton) or podcasts broken into recurring segments (Grognard Files).

If we're talking about endless to-and-fro between regular presenters,  or some spode wittering on solo about his hobby horse, definitely less is more,  but then I tend not to go back to those o es.

YouTube OTOH,  dear lord keep 'em short - who has the time?
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2019, 01:22:33 pm by TordelBack »

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #273 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »
Quite. I’m not specifically against a podcast going on for an hour, but it has to have a reason for doing so. A good example is Infinite Monkey Cage. I’d happily listen to episodes twice as long as the extended podcasts, because they are superb. But so much stuff is just extended to fill the time, rather than edited to be better.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #274 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:43:57 pm »
Welcome to Nightvale got it's structure spot on, a half an hour surrealist podcast presented as a 30 minute news bulletin.

Critical Role and The Adventure Zone also curbed their out put perfectly so all could tell an ongoing narrative in sweet bite sized hits.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
  • "Why, Black Dynamite? WHY?"
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #275 on: 17 July, 2019, 03:22:31 pm »
As such, the algorithm prioritises longer videos over shorter ones, which Youtubers have noticed and responded to accordingly.

That was true until around 2017 when "the Adpocalypse" introduced automatic demonetisation (removal of advertising) on any videos flagged by content filters or viewer complaints*.  Foul-mouthed game streamers were put out of business overnight and since then a great many creators have taken their eggs out of the YT basket to create content according to Patreon feedback rather than the YT algorithm, premiering videos directly to backers and only later using YT as a hosting platform.
I have no doubt that some of the monolithic YT channels like Pewdiwpie still make bank somehow (because of course the right wing channels still make money), but most serious content creators are no longer beholden to the site or its preferences**.  And, you know, they're actually making money and growing their audiences, so obviously "they're too long and people who like longer vids are stupid" are highly subjective takes.

* Videos discussing LGBTQ issues also seem to get disproportionately flagged for demonetisation, while left wing channels are constantly targeted in "mass flagging" campaigns by alt-right channels to not only demonetise videos, but to get Youtube to remove them from the site entirely.
** laughably, Youtube has even created its own union to tempt younger and left-leaning creators back into the fold.
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2019, 03:24:45 pm by Professor Bear »

radiator

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 17 July, 2019, 05:57:26 pm »
I feel strongly the opposite - podcasts shorter than 25 minutes to me seem almost pointless.

Yup. 60-90 mins is the sweet spot for me, since that's the length of my average drive, train commute or walk. Farting about changing episodes on the hoof irritates me, unless there's a story told through an episodic structure (Serial, Polybius Conspiracy) or a really focused weekly topic that gets done (Motherfocloir).  Should be said that my favourite pods are either rambling interviews which often can't be long enough (Adam Buxton) or podcasts broken into recurring segments (Grognard Files).

If we're talking about endless to-and-fro between regular presenters,  or some spode wittering on solo about his hobby horse, definitely less is more,  but then I tend not to go back to those o es.

YouTube OTOH,  dear lord keep 'em short - who has the time?

I'm really not a fan of the recent proliferation of corporate, ultra-slickly produced podcasts, usually 25mins in length with a good 5 mins of that being ads. To me they are the exact opposite of what appeals to me about the medium.