Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last movie watched...  (Read 1123951 times)

Mister Pops

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • You're Goddamn right!
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie watched...
« Reply #13635 on: 08 November, 2019, 07:25:14 pm »
... just another Terminator flick.

Those four simple words really say something about where we're at with movies in general.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • The Sharkpool Blog
« Reply #13636 on: 08 November, 2019, 07:30:16 pm »
... just another Terminator flick.

Those four simple words really say something about where we're at with movies in general.

Yeah, that feels true to me. Or maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/the_legendary_shark

Blog.

Rately

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: 09 November, 2019, 08:09:21 am »
Re-watched Silence Of The Lambs.

Wow. Had forgotten just what a fantastic movie it is, and by modern standards, how lean and fast moving it is.

I’ve seen it about twenty times, at a conservative estimate, but every time Howard Shore’s score tinkles into my ears, I’m watching attentively, as if it’s my first viewing.

It's a classic. It might be controversial to say, but Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter is probably the least interesting thing in the movie for me. Always find his performance very hammy and a bit over the top compared to the genuinely frightening/quotable Buffalo Bill and other lower level creeps like Chilton.

For me, the best performance in the whole movie is Ted Levine. He is utterly terrifying and pathetic. A great actor, and I've enjoyed him in everything from Monk to the remake of The Hills Have Eyes. A superb actor.

There was an episode of the podcast I Was There Too with the actor who played the senator's daughter/kidnap victim where she talks about working with Levine - great stuff.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/silence-of-the-lambs-with-brooke-smith/

What a fantastic interview. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Worth a listen for her description of Ted Levine’s inspiration for playing the role, and his response to the casting agent during his audition!

Also, what a career she has had!

dweezil2

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Credit Cards Accepted.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13638 on: 09 November, 2019, 07:49:23 pm »
It's taken me long enough to get my arse into gear to finally sit down and watch it, but watch it I have and I must say that You Were Never Really Here comes highly recommended.

An unflinching, and commendably unglamorous, performance from Joaquin Phoenix, with suitably sweaty and oblique direction from the great Lynne Ramsay.

Pheonix's character has just enough twisted morality and humanity to make his descent in to extreme vengeful violence utterly compelling.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: 09 November, 2019, 10:09:50 pm »
So like do I have to hand my Nerd Badge back in if I admit that until watching it again tonight I'd never realised that Starman is a John Carpenter film? If so I'll no mention it.

MacabreMagpie

• 2000AD Creator
  • Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:36:41 pm »
Watched the new Terminator in Harrogate last night as I wasn’t leaving until today.

It was watchable. I think I’d have enjoyed it more if they didn’t have Arnie in it as a Terminator as it feels like each new sequel is just trying to find new ways to shoe-horn him in that don’t always make sense. And with this one, it felt like they were trying to hit the same emotional beats as T2 so it felt a bit samey by the end.

Some impressive and ambitious set pieces though, which are well-realised even if the CG (outside the terminators) wasn’t entirely convincing. And it was fun watching Sarah Connor on screen again.

I can live with the John Connor twist, even though I’d be more comfortable with it as a “what if?” kinda story. It does undermine all the efforts of T2 for him to simply just be shot in a bar by a Terminator soon after.

Honestly I can’t say as I feel that enthusiastic about recommending it but I think they achieved what they set out to do.