Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 November, 2019, 09:22:15 AM
Also watched Jumanji last night (not the 'new' new one but the first new one, and the third one if you count Zathura which I absolutely do)

Wait, there's been three? If you mean Welcome to the Jungle (which has just dropped on Netflix), I watched that last week and it really is a lot of fun. Karen Gillan's lip-biting attempt at flirting made me laugh

Bolt-01

DDD

Jumanji - Robin Williams
Zathura - Space board game shenanigans.
Jumanji - The Rock.

I love Zathura.

Dandontdare

Oh yes, I totally forgot (and haven't seen) the space one. I understanbd the Rock et al are soon releasing a fourth.

TordelBack

The re-doing of earlier sequences are the best bits of Genisys, with one passable shock, and Arnie and Emilia are fine: everything else is please god make it stop. My 13 year old rates it though, so what do I know.

The first Rock/Pond Jumanji is way more fun than we'd any right to expect. Wee-wee humour is timeless.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 November, 2019, 09:22:15 AM
Really liked Doctor Sleep the other day, and aside from a couple of changes from the book that I felt were made purely for tidyness sake rather than impact thought it was a great adaptation of the book with brilliant performances all round. Not sure how most people will find it just coming to it as a sequel to The Shining (but judging by the box office not many people have sadly). I think Flanagan is one of those rare film-makers who really gets King's writing and how to put it on a screen (even Hill House feels like a great Stephen King novel), maybe Darabont is the only other time his work as been paired with a director so well (The Mist is still the daddy of King adaptations for me).

Also watched Jumanji last night (not the 'new' new one but the first new one, and the third one if you count Zathura which I absolutely do) and thought it was great fun. Laughed a lot, it had a ton of heart and a thrilling adventure, the cast were all clearly having a blast and doing a great job, it was a bit of a joy really and just the pick-me-up we needed after a weekend in loaded with the cold and feeling sorry for ourselves.

Oh and I rewatched Terminator: Genisys, which I still don't think is as bad as most people think it is, but I still wouldn't strongly defend particularly! It's definitely in my guilty pleasures pile.

Man I just couldn't get through Genisys. I thought the early sequences that recreated moments from the first film were pretty entertaining (and well-realised) but once that was out of the way, I couldn't stand the characters enough to continue watching. Maybe I'll give it a second go.

Saying that though, I genuinely think Salvation is my favourite modern sequel (mostly for the fact it didn't just try to tell the same story again) so, you know...

The Enigmatic Dr X

"New Jumanji" is my current recommendation for anyone who wants a good family film. I feel it's grossly under-rated. It has a timeless appeal to all, akin to Back to the Future (or, to a lesser extent Gremlins or Ghostbusters, although they have scary bits).

I'm not saying it is great. It's just a solid family movie, of which there are precious few.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

QuoteI feel it's grossly under-rated

Underrated? Didn't it make like a billion dollars?

Tjm86

Hunter Killer turned up on prime so I thought I'd give it a go.  Definitely a 'disengage brain' film but passable enough.  Pleasantly surprised that they didn't bother with the surprise twist of someone in the US high command turning out to be in cahoots with the Russians (my money was on Oldman's character .....) and just decided to go with some Clancey-esque 'America is great and going to save the world' schtick.  All the usual submarine cliche's trotted out but entertainingly done.

[Hey, I got further with it than Genisys which I still haven't managed to finish even on a second attempt ....]

von Boom

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 November, 2019, 06:46:20 PM
Hunter Killer turned up on prime so I thought I'd give it a go.  Definitely a 'disengage brain' film but passable enough.  Pleasantly surprised that they didn't bother with the surprise twist of someone in the US high command turning out to be in cahoots with the Russians (my money was on Oldman's character .....) and just decided to go with some Clancey-esque 'America is great and going to save the world' schtick.  All the usual submarine cliche's trotted out but entertainingly done.

[Hey, I got further with it than Genisys which I still haven't managed to finish even on a second attempt ....]
Yeah, saw this a while ago on Prime. It felt like they scavenged all the submarine films for the last thirty years and picked pieces from each to assemble them into this film.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 18 November, 2019, 06:31:25 PM

I think I know what he means though. It might have been commercially massive but it's one of those films I skipped and had pretty much written off as some dumb family blockbuster fodder that me and my friends wouldn't be into, and then once I watched it and recommended it to friends they were pretty skeptical and then came back saying they'd really enjoyed it too. So possibly not underrated by people who have watched it but underrated/written-off by a lot of people who haven't I guess.

I had a similar experience with the Paddingtons actually, I don't think anyone who has seen those hasn't enthused about them but you can get some incredulous looks sometimes when you tell people they're great.

TordelBack

Plenty of movies that no-one thinks very much of have made a lot more that that!  I confess I approached a watch with no enthusiasm whatsoever, even a general fondness for the Rock and a more specific fondness for Karen Gillan's pins couldn't shift the "a Jumanji remake with Jack Black? Why?" atmosphere surrounding it. But as it turns out, one of the most solidly enjoyable family films of recent years.

MacabreMagpie

Le Mans 66.

A very well-made movie with good racing scenes that will appeal to petrolheads I'm sure but I was pretty bored throughout, as someone with no interest in cars. Considered walking out, even, but decided to stay since the film was doing what it intended to well.

You win some, you lose some.

The Legendary Shark

Inception. How can a film so chock-full of good actors, nice effects and cool ideas be such a boring old load of arse?

Sunshine. What a dreary old load of arse.

I need cheering up after those two yawn-fests. Sod it, I'm in the mood for a classic. The Shootist, methinks.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 November, 2019, 09:24:03 AM

I think I know what he means though. It might have been commercially massive but it's one of those films I skipped and had pretty much written off as some dumb family blockbuster fodder that me and my friends wouldn't be into, and then once I watched it and recommended it to friends they were pretty skeptical and then came back saying they'd really enjoyed it too. So possibly not underrated by people who have watched it but underrated/written-off by a lot of people who haven't I guess.

I had a similar experience with the Paddingtons actually, I don't think anyone who has seen those hasn't enthused about them but you can get some incredulous looks sometimes when you tell people they're great.

I kind of see what you're saying - I guess its just hard to think of a film that got very strong reviews and made a ton of money as underrated.

I'm generally a little wary of kids action/adventure films that get good reviews, because they're a genre - much like studio comedies and especially romantic comedies - where the bar is so low that anything that isn't completely crap tends to get a little overpraised.

The Paddington films are genuinely underrated here in the US - neither film did much business - they dumped the second one in cinemas in January, the cinema equivalent of a graveyard slot - and almost no one I talk to has heard of them, which is such a shame.