Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Pineapple Express  Tordelback Express

TordelBack

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 March, 2018, 02:03:10 PM
Look, his shirtless antics have got me laid on many a Saturday night, so long may his career endure.

:o :o :o

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 March, 2018, 09:32:48 PM
Look, his shirtless antics have got me laid on many a Saturday night, so long may his career endure.

Who cares who summons the sandworm,  as long as the spice flows. I view Statham as a labour-saving device, a human thumper, if you will.

I, Cosh

Bah, foiled by the edit!
We never really die.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 March, 2018, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 March, 2018, 09:32:48 PM

Who cares who summons the sandworm,  as long as the spice flows. I view Statham as a labour-saving device, a human thumper, if you will.

That may be the best review Statham has ever had or will ever get.

darnmarr

Gerald's Game
Basic  horror about 'kinky' sex gone wrong.. Effing brilliant!. proper good acting from yerwan who was aged up to portray the original 'Silk Spectre' from Watchmen. A bit mad. Tense. Great.
Original,  truleh creepeh.
Explained itself a little more than I personally felt it had to.
I Strongly recommend.

radiator

Heard good things about Gerald's Game.

SIP

I love Jason Statham. Proper action movie star.

I'll watch a film specifically because he is in it.

JamesC

Jason Statham went to my High School (a few years before me - I think it was probably still the Grammar School then).
His dad is a singer and still performs in pubs around town as Barry Wild (Yarmouth's own Tom Jones).

Link Prime

Quote from: darnmarr on 07 March, 2018, 07:09:53 PM
Gerald's Game
Basic  horror about 'kinky' sex gone wrong.. Effing brilliant!. proper good acting from yerwan who was aged up to portray the original 'Silk Spectre' from Watchmen. A bit mad. Tense. Great.
Original,  truleh creepeh.
Explained itself a little more than I personally felt it had to.
I Strongly recommend.

Watched that with the missus a while ago, and we both really enjoyed it.
Only minor quibble is the reveal at the end- just didn't land smoothly for either of us.
Still, a strong recommendation from me too.

The Legendary Shark

Darkest Hour. I was amused to note the production company "Perfect World" in the opening credits, because that's what this film is - or rather, it's a perfected world. It's essentially a cinematic version of a myth, and as such I think it does a decent job. The performances were all top-notch and the settings convincing. Like Dunkirk, this film spoke to me on a human level. Putting all my anarchist notions and disdain of authority aside, I found this study of The Great War Leader Story quite satisfying and even a little thought-provoking. I liked the way the political world and the wider world were portrayed as being apart from each other. TL:DR - Darkest Hour. Much to enjoy. Captain Fantastic. And next, a film that speaks to my disdain of the state. Vigo Mortensen lives in a big teepee in the wilderness with his flock of kids. His wife, their mother, dies and her father takes charge of the "normal" funeral, banning Vigo and the kids from attending. But old Vigo's an anarchist and has taught his children everything from Plato to mountaineering via music and logic so they decide to gatecrash the funeral. It's an anarchist's view of the ideal family and family life. Now, that's all well and good but in the end the film had no bite. [spoiler] Anarchists visit the state and don't like it very much so they steal a body and go home. [/spoiler] This is the main problem with anarchist fiction; it's extremely dull because everyone more or less rubs along in a cloud of good intentions and mutual respect. It's a fairly decent portrayal of the ideal, though, even if it doesn't really go anywhere. TL:DR - Captain Fantastic. Not entirely pointless.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Deadpool - I knew very little about this other than remembering it got a good review on The BBC film programme. Watched it on Netflix tonight and it was ace.

I was going to say easily the best Marvel film I have seen, but let's call it a tie with Guardians of the Galaxy.

darnmarr

Logan Lucky
A heist movie, basically, entertaining and well-made on that score- as a comedy...hmmmmn... it relied way too heavily on the 'aren't red-necks gas altogether with their Nascars and whathaveyou' trope to amuse my good self, but overall, I'd still say it's worth the watch, (if only to see Kylo Ren as a one-handed surly bartender) .

Also:
Quick warning to subjects of Her Majesty ,- Seth McFarlane (who I'm normally a big fan of ) has a cameo portraying what I think is supposed to be a British* person; he isn't very good at it.

*Or Australian/Pakistani/South African/ maybe Welsh**--.

EDIT**Yes , I know Welsh is technically British- but they do have a distinctive accent that's fairly different from what might be termed as British RP or whatever.

Mattofthespurs

Game Night

Decent with a few laugh out loud moments but chuckly throughout.

A bit long but worth a watch if you need cheering up.